All reviewsdes moinesfront deskbiscuits and gravythe breakfast areaother hotelsstaff was very friendlycomplimentary breakfastconvenient locationvery nice hotelwould stay againbrooklyninterstatemoteliarefrigerator
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night during a 2-week vacation. The hotel wasn't fancy, but the room was clean, as were the bed and linens. We had a fridge and microwave. The breakfast was average. The best part of the stay was the manager, Kalpesh Patel. He made the check-in easy, he was very friendly and helpful, and seemed to always be there to help. He was at the desk during check-in, during the evening, and again in the morning. He works hard to make sure that guests have a good experience.

I was trying to get a hotel in the general Des Moines area, and found that this one was one that had okay reviews, wasn't really expensive, and had no record of bedbugs. I might stay at this hotel again if I got a good rate.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Minneapolis_MNLegs
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

We truely appreciate and Thank you for your gracious words. It is always a pleasure to have our efforts noticed and to hear we are doing a great job .In the futrue we will be adding new items to our breakfast area and if you are so inclined, we love to receive feedback from our valued guest on how we can improve and grow.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the Americinn while in Des Moines for a political convention. The hotel itself was pretty average, nothing to complain about, but nothing outstanding. It was fine for a couple of nights. It is convenient to I-80, except the hotel is hidden behind a car dealership that can make it hard to find for some folks.
The property itself is older, it has been converted from a Best Inn. The age of the property is starting to show in the exterior, parking lot and public areas of the hotel. Also, the whirlpool was not working for the first night of my stay. The hallways had a funky smell, like that of an apartment building. The hotel seemed well used during my stay, so this has probably contributed to these conditions.
The rooms look like they have been recently refurnished with new carpets, bedding and furniture. It had a flat screen TV, radar range/ fridge, desk area, overstuffed chair, iron/iron board, and hairdryer. The room itself was clean and the bed was comfortable . The wireless internet and other room functions worked without a problem. The only issues that I had with the room was I found a cigarette burn in the duvet (non-smoking room) and room had a slight odor like a previous guest had a wet dog in the room.
The hotel also had a decent continental breakfast with a couple of hot items. The hotel staff was friendly, but the establishment seemed a little understaffed. I didn't get to use the pool area, but it looked inviting other than the whirlpool issue.
I would stay at this property again in a pinch or was on a budget, but I am going to stick to my favorite hotels for my next trip to Des Moines.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mahlerssecond
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

We are truly sorry that your experience did not meet your Expectations. We value your opinion and business with AmericInn. We are dedicated to providing the highest standards of service for our guests.Constructive feedback from our guests is crucial in our continued quest to provide unparalleled guest service and impeccably clean lodging accommodations.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our family stayed overnight while attending an Iowa Cubs game the next afternoon. It was easy to get to right off I35/80; although, it seemed like you were going through a car dealership parking lot to get to the hotel. The hotel looks like an older property that they've done a nice job starting to refurbish. Our room was clean and had a very nice appearance, like the decor had been recently redone (bedding, TV, wall decoration looked new). The control knob for the heat/AC unit was missing. It still operated, but you were kind of guessing what it was set to. There was slight road noise on our side of the hotel that might bother someone who is very sensitive. The bathroom looked a little worn, but was clean. The lobby and breakfast area were very nice, but the other entries and hallways looked a bit worn and there some odd, old pieces of furniture by some doors. My wife and kids used the pool and she didn't feel it was especially clean and said the water was cloudy. The breakfast was a nice mix of hot and cold choices and was plentiful. We've been to a number of other AmericInn's and most have been very good experiences. This was a fine hotel and I don't really have any significant complaints. It just doesn't match up with to the other great AmericInns that we've stayed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

We are truly sorry that your experience did not meet your Expectations. Yes, it can be a little bit hard to find at times. The big sign we have in front is the only one we are allowed according to city codes, but we are looking into more signing that will help our guest have an easier time locating the hotel. I apologize that the road noise bothered you. We do have several different rooms that are away from the Interstate that might suit you better. We did have a phase of upgrading our pool area. We resurfaced the inside of the pool and the deck area, and we are going to update the outside patio as well. We are planning to add new items to our breakfast area as well.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

The staff was very friendly and efficient, check in was a breeze! The room was very clean. It was well decorated and didn't have the worn bedding and decor that so many hotels have. The bed was firm but comfortable and one of the best things - no soft water! I didn't get that icky slippery, soapy feeling that is so common in hotel showers. That made my whole day! I had a very quiet night and was pleased with everything about my stay. I would definitely stay here again and would have no problem recommending this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Deena F
kalpesh2, General Manager at AmericInn by Wyndham Johnston des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

On behalf of our hotel staff we wanted to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise. We strive to make every stay a satisfying one. Your comments on our performance were very generous and will be passed on to the appropriate staff members.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for a number of years, usually two or more times annually. My children and grandchildrfen live in the area, and this has been a great central location from which to visit.
I have always enjoyed a quiet, clean room and have found everthing in good shape and in fine working order.
Karen who works the front desk has always been professional, and friendly, lending a nice homey touch to my stay here.
I used to travel extensively, both nationally as well as internationally. What you get for your money here is always high value.

MikeA

Room Tip: They have an indoor swimming pool, which was great when the kids were little. And they have a jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Our top priority is creating an environment in which our guests can relax, renew and recharge There are a lot of hotel's to choose from in the Des Moines area and we want to say thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel when you arrive in Des Moines. It’s always gratifying to know that our efforts were effective and appreciated.