“Best mexican food in Iowa City”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Ranchero

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best mexican food in Iowa City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

Great food, good service, good prices, great margaritas. What else do you need?

Iowa City, IA
“Very bad Mexican food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

Being from Texas, I am a little biased about my Mexican food. This doesn't come close to anything resembling Mexican food. How can you call yourself a Mexican restaurant if you do not even make your own tortillas. My fajitas were one jumbled mess. I went there once with my husband and never returned. Still searching for a good Mexican place in Iowa City.

1 Thank ElizaE
Iowa Boy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, Great staff...beats any chain I've eaten at”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

The food is authentic and does not come out of a box...you can tell because while you might order the same thing from week to week, depending on the cook, the appearance and flavor may vary slightly. I think this makes it a unique dining experience. My wife and I have a weekly "date" and the staff are more like family. Don't miss the opportunity to try this place when you're in town!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Not too happy...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

I took my girlfriend to dinner here last night, we arrived an hour before they closed, which normally would be plenty of time to sit and enjoy a good meal. We ordered and within ten minutes had our food. As I cut into my enchilada and burrito i discovered they were both just undercooked wraps of ground beef. The employees were also quite rude, one insisted on vacuuming the floor right next to our table, twice. Two other employees decided it would be a good idea to stand next to our table while they said their goodbyes and made out for a short time. The prices weren't bad but due to the service and the nature of our rushed food we will not be returning.

2 Thank tedharbaugh
Iowa
“Good, Inexpensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

My friends and I have a standing date to meet at El Ranchero's for dinner at least once a week...and have been doing so for over 5 years. The food is consistently good and the value is outstanding. The service is usually above average, as well. The free chips and salsa while you wait for your meal to arrive is a huge bonus. Some of our menu favorites: nachos rancheros (on the appetizer menu, but I usually eat it as a meal, or two actually), rolled quesidillas, fajita taco salad, and the fajitas con queso. The margaritas are awesome and usually quite strong. We've been to all the mexican restaurants in town and this is the one we keep coming back to. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.