“Really good BBQ”

Jimmy Jack’s East Side
Ranked #3 of 273 Restaurants in Iowa City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Colleagues and I went here to please one of others as he raved about this place as awesome BBQ. I dislike BBQ and try to avoid it so I was pleseantly surprised by this place. Easy to find on the east side of IC. Place is small inside with a outdoor patio. There is a counter to place your order and pay then take a # and go sit down. The decor is as you would expect in any rib shack to be. The menu is small but not limiting. Because of my adversion to BBQ, I chose the smoked portobello sandwich. The mushroom itsef had an excellent smoked flavor, great meal for a non-meat eater when I am outvoted for dinner. I loved the corn bread and the fries! Colleagues claim the pulled pork and ribs are some of the best they have had. Would recommend to anyone wanting a casual BBQ place.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have never been let down by Jimmy Jack's. They have easily the best pulled pork sandwich in the area. The fries are to die for!!! I have had both thier chicken and ribs on several different occasions and found them to be good but I have definately had better. The pulled pork is outta this world. Love thier selection of sauces and the Carolina mustard is probably one of the best I have ever had. Food is good eating in or to go. It is very small and has a fast food feel so I wouldn't recommend it for a quiet (or romantic dinner). Place usually has several families with kids running around (ours included) and the staff is always accomodating. I would recommend Jimmy Jack's for lunch (to go included) or for a quick bite before a movie or game.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great food, great setting. We like the pulled pork and the ribs. Corn bread is saved for dessert. Fries are the best in town.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We like the pulled pork sandwich baskets. Plenty of food. Bring your appetite! Cornbread is sweet and tasty. I think it is sweetened with honey. The coleslaw and beans side dishes are good. I like the chocolate chip cookies, too. The BBQ sauces are self-serve as are the drinks. Plastic silverware is used here. It is very casual. They give you a number and bring your order to your table. I have had to get a take-home box every time that I have eaten here. Servings are generous. Baskets are around $8 each or so.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Their ribs are savory and fall off the bone. Pulled pork is awesome. Tasty B'BQ chicken and brisket, if you don't eat pork. Their cornbread is tasty and sweet.