“Great Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Was shocked to drive up next to a bar which was very noisy and busy with college kids. Turned out not to be near any rooms though the wafting smoke all around the entrance was Yucko! Front desk misunderstood me about a few different things - not sure if there was a language barrier or what but we wound up not having housekeeping while we were gone all afternoon and then the ac issue was incorrect given to nice repair guy. So it was never fixed as prob was too big for eve. Hallway noise was a lot early in morn- doors loud and maybe not thick enough. ( again if we could've left the fan on I might not have heard as much!).

Restaurant next door is pricey for meals but great food great service.

Location couldn't be more perfect and rooms are very comfortable in every way. We would def stay there again!

Btw loved the soups from Heirloom Salad Co. yum!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
melabak, General Manager at Sheraton Iowa City Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for providing us information about your experience! Our city is very lively and provides many options for entertainment.

We do offer a smoking area for our guests and will ensure it is further away from the entrance. We want to provide options for all our guests! Our Engineering team has fixed the areas tht were not working and our housekeeping team is ready to show you that they are exceptional during your next stay!

We look forward to seeing your during your next trip to Iowa!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Van BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We were visiting Iowa City for a family reunion. Our group had over a dozen rooms. We were thrilled by the central location of the hotel. We were looking forward to Starwood Preferred Guests experiences.
As we entered the lobby it was messy looking and not clean. There was nobody to help with our bags.
Check in went smoothly but desk clerk was not familiar with hotel amenities.
We were shocked by the room. It had nice white bedding but the room was not fresh and clean. It was dusty and the bed linens were inside out so the seams were on the outside.
Plastic cups were insulting at the price of the room.
No paper or pen was available. Don't even look for a fridge! There was a one cup coffee maker and a paper cup.
The closet wasn't a closet!!! It was a poorly designed wardrobe . My dresses ( I'm 4'11) dragged on the bottom. We were given extra hangers but had to hang them on the shower rod. This was ok because we had to bathe. The shower didn't drain properly and we couldn't adjust the shower head. For most of our stay the water was lukewarm at best .
The bathroom was a joke! A person could not shut the door while sitting on the toilet.Minimal counter space required toiletries to sit the floor , which was not clean. Had to request extra towels then realized that there was no place to put them.
The beds were made however the room was not cleaned.... The sink wasn't even wiped out!
The TV didn't work on most channels. After many calls to the front desk an 'engineer' came up . He jiggled the wires and suggested calling the front desk cause it wasn't working.
There was no Wifi service!!!! Staff couldn't even tell me how to log on... Overall Internet service was intermittent at best. I was told by a person at the front desk to call there tech support( outside contract) myself. We discoverred , on our own,that there was free Iowa City wireless connections on the pedway in front of the hotel. This was handy but not very conducive to dealing with business issues.
The hotel was noisy! Air-conditioner was loud, we could hear conversations in surrounding rooms. The elevators were noisy as was the ice machine.
These issues were not isolated to our one room. Our whole group expressed concerns which the staff did not deal with. Staff didn't seem knowledgable or able to help resolve concerns. The manager was appologetic and made excuses .
Security was tight and their teem seemed to want to be helpful.
The gym was adequate.
I can not confidently recommend anything about this Sheraton hotel except the great location.

• Stayed May 2014
Altus, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel in a good location. Good gym for most travelers unless you lift heavy, largest free weight was 50lbs but there is a private gym connected directly to the hotel which is great if you require more. Room service was great, the staff were on point and the food was good. My stay was about a week so I got to experience most of what the hotel had to offer. Has a great restaurant attached as well with great food and good bar service. As others have stated, there's a bunch of restaurants, bars and pick up and go eateries within walKing distance of the hotel. Also, I don't know why other people have complained about the Wi-Fi since there are direct Ethernet connection cables right next to the desk for a better internet connection. Puzzles me. Anyways, my Wi-Fi connected great, got about 1.5mbps which is suitable for free service. Lastly, the room I got was pretty good and decent size. Comfortable bed and pillows with a nice bathroom.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Business trip and travel can be enjoyable when one stays at this hotel: the accommodations are great and the location is perfect for business at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The hotel is in a walkable area with plenty of restaurants and shops, as well.

The staff is welcoming; the rooms clean and quiet and the club lounge offers excellent evening snacks and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Very disappointing for a Sheraton. The wifi did not work. I am quite experienced with computers and my standard HP Windows 7 (64 bit) system could not connect with Chrome, Firefox OR IE browser.

The front desk could not fix the problem in twenty minutes and I was working all day and could not spend more time. The problem was present for the thirty six hours I was in the hotel.

I accepted the Green option for no new bed clothes or towels and was horrified to find my room had not
been cleaned at all (I stayed two nights). The toilet had not been cleaned. The carpet had not been vacuumed, etc.

This is unacceptable in an expensive hotel

Green Features: See above. The green option was designed to take advantage of guests. NO MAID SERVICE was the result of my choosing the green option
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Staying at this hotel by the University of Iowa was very convenient and provided comfortable accommodations. The staff was very friendly and helpful at check in and during my 3-day stay. My room was comfortable with a nice king size bed and a great work space with plenty of power outlets and computer connections to the big, flat screen TV. The location is within easy walking distance to lots of excellent restaurants, entertainment, night life, and of course, the University.

Green Features: I opted for the "Make a Green Choice" and received vouchers for the selection. There are also recycle baskets in my room which I used for water bottles.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Madrid
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

I arrived at the Sheraton Iowa City last night tired after a long journey. I travel a lot on business and so get used to a certain level of hotel experience.

I was surprised at how shabby the hotel lobby was. If I had just come in off the street I would have turned around and left. It looked well past its sell by date.

You park your car in the multi story car park next door but there are no signs directing you back to the hotel so it is easy to end up out in the wrong street entirely.

I made a point of asking for a quiet room as I had been travelling for 20 hours. When I got to my room it was 4 feet away from the main lifts so not surprisingly I was woken up several times by groups loud guests returning after a good night out around 2.00am.

I was then woken up again a 5am by industrial units outside my window who started using their mechanical dumpster at 5 then a 6 after that the early guests were at the lifts again.

The room was ok but the shower head was fixed to the wall and could not be moved so the jet was aimed at the back of your head. This meant acrobatics were required it you wanted a whole body shower.

My advice is stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!