“Up to Sheraton standards”

Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Altus, Arkansas
“Up to Sheraton standards”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel in a good location. Good gym for most travelers unless you lift heavy, largest free weight was 50lbs but there is a private gym connected directly to the hotel which is great if you require more. Room service was great, the staff were on point and the food was good. My stay was about a week so I got to experience most of what the hotel had to offer. Has a great restaurant attached as well with great food and good bar service. As others have stated, there's a bunch of restaurants, bars and pick up and go eateries within walKing distance of the hotel. Also, I don't know why other people have complained about the Wi-Fi since there are direct Ethernet connection cables right next to the desk for a better internet connection. Puzzles me. Anyways, my Wi-Fi connected great, got about 1.5mbps which is suitable for free service. Lastly, the room I got was pretty good and decent size. Comfortable bed and pillows with a nice bathroom.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Business trip and travel can be enjoyable when one stays at this hotel: the accommodations are great and the location is perfect for business at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The hotel is in a walkable area with plenty of restaurants and shops, as well.

The staff is welcoming; the rooms clean and quiet and the club lounge offers excellent evening snacks and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Very disappointing for a Sheraton. The wifi did not work. I am quite experienced with computers and my standard HP Windows 7 (64 bit) system could not connect with Chrome, Firefox OR IE browser.

The front desk could not fix the problem in twenty minutes and I was working all day and could not spend more time. The problem was present for the thirty six hours I was in the hotel.

I accepted the Green option for no new bed clothes or towels and was horrified to find my room had not
been cleaned at all (I stayed two nights). The toilet had not been cleaned. The carpet had not been vacuumed, etc.

This is unacceptable in an expensive hotel

Green Features: See above. The green option was designed to take advantage of guests. NO MAID SERVICE was the result of my choosing the green option
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nevada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Staying at this hotel by the University of Iowa was very convenient and provided comfortable accommodations. The staff was very friendly and helpful at check in and during my 3-day stay. My room was comfortable with a nice king size bed and a great work space with plenty of power outlets and computer connections to the big, flat screen TV. The location is within easy walking distance to lots of excellent restaurants, entertainment, night life, and of course, the University.

Green Features: I opted for the "Make a Green Choice" and received vouchers for the selection. There are also recycle baskets in my room which I used for water bottles.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Madrid
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I arrived at the Sheraton Iowa City last night tired after a long journey. I travel a lot on business and so get used to a certain level of hotel experience.

I was surprised at how shabby the hotel lobby was. If I had just come in off the street I would have turned around and left. It looked well past its sell by date.

You park your car in the multi story car park next door but there are no signs directing you back to the hotel so it is easy to end up out in the wrong street entirely.

I made a point of asking for a quiet room as I had been travelling for 20 hours. When I got to my room it was 4 feet away from the main lifts so not surprisingly I was woken up several times by groups loud guests returning after a good night out around 2.00am.

I was then woken up again a 5am by industrial units outside my window who started using their mechanical dumpster at 5 then a 6 after that the early guests were at the lifts again.

The room was ok but the shower head was fixed to the wall and could not be moved so the jet was aimed at the back of your head. This meant acrobatics were required it you wanted a whole body shower.

My advice is stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Nice stay overall. Pros: club house top floor was a plus. Location. Staff was great. Very comfortable beds. Nice room Cons: high price, never got Internet to work in my room. Was very noisy all night. Would stay again if I get a deal.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Friendly check-in staff. Terrific shuttle driver (originally from Tennessee, in Writer's Workshop program at U of I, she was a service rock star with the shuttle). Hotel manager saw we were looking for something and stopped in his tracks with his arms full to help us. Decent gym. Decent pool. Clean. Fantastic location. Parking garage right next door. On the pedestrian mall in the heart of IC. Across the street from another mall with a CVS. I have a masters degree in complaining but just can't scratch up anything to gripe about on this trip. College downtowns are noisy by default, and sometimes that noise can transfer to a hotel. But that's not the hotel's fault. We actually had a quiet night.The hotel hit on all 8 cylinders with the things they could control. Just a great stay! I live close and know most hotels in the area. We'll be back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!