“They've got 'ya...”

Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
“They've got 'ya...”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

...based on their location and the lack of any real competition aside from the adjacent Hotel Vetro. This hotel could and should be so much more, especially for what they charge.

First impression was a total joke, pulled up to the entrance where valet is "provided" to find not a single employee anywhere. No valet, no bellman, nothing. I proceeded to unload my entire car myself as my two young children sat there. Hello!! Service anyone?

Two big disappointments were they removed the massive jacuzzi from the suites upon their last "remodel" and filled the jacuzzi that used to be next to the pool. Total bust for my kids who were so excited to swim. Pool was cold and with nowhere to warm up, our enjoyment there was over before it had even begun.

We ordered room service once and found it to be surprisingly good.

Club floor lounge needs some life breathed into it; except for Humberto who was outstanding and totally "gets" the job description, the other employees were lethargic and casual. C'mon people, step it up, you're at work! Don't stand around with your hands in your pockets.

Beds are way too soft though bedding was great. Suite is very noisy as you hear the elevator. All. Night. Long.

Overall, this property has so much potential but is sadly not at all living up to it.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Sandiegomo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have stayed at some rather nice hotels before this. I know they are pricey on Hawkeye Football weekends but this was a bit much. The hotel was clean. Did not eat there so nothing to add. When I placed the reservation for Thursday night the AAA rate was $154. We considered staying Friday night as well instead of driving 90 miles home and back on Sat for the game. However they required $350 for Friday night. A bit much don't you think. I don't mind the plastic glasses in the room as another reviewer did. Mainly because I am just not sure that those glass glasses always get washed. By the way, never use an ice bucket without a plastic liner. Bring your own if you have to, but I digress, The room had two very nice queen size beds. I am tall but still had to almost jump up to get on the bed. The problem I had was the bathroom. How tiny can you get. When I opened the door all the way, it 'barely' cleared the toilet. The bar to help you in and out of the shower was up by the end where the shower head is. In order to hold onto that to get in or out is impossible. Immediately out of the same end of the tub in the toilet. You need the handle at the rear of the tub. Parking was free (maybe only with the AAA rate) in an adjacent parking lot. At that price, not sure I would stay there again. We did it because the University I-Club has a Friday breakfast there and it starts very early. Enjoyed the breakfast, room was decent and clean. Bathroom size definitely too small and not laid out well.

Room Tip: Belong to AAA or other Club for a discount
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank iahmb
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Sheraton on our way to our next duty station. While there, we decided to get some dinner out on the town. We headed out the back entrance and was immediately met with a lot of homeless people and even got to see a drug deal go down. 4 years ago, my wife and I would have laughed it off and went on exploring and possibly do some bar hoping. However, we now have a beautiful little girl. There's no way I was going to keep her out there with all of that around.

So, we headed back to the hotel to get food at the restaurant. My daughters chicken came out raw and our food was really terrible. All except the crab cakes. Those were delicious.

Back in the room, I noticed there were no actual glasses to drink from. Rather, plastic cups. Is this really the Sheraton? So, if you wanted to poor yourself a drink, you'll do it from a plastic cup.

The internet didn't work. I was patched through to IT and then was told by IT it's the hotel and that he couldn't do anything. Back to the front desk and I immediately asked for the manager. Desiree got on the phone and was very professional and courteous. We finally got the issue worked out.

Lastly, when I was inquiring about parking, I was asked by the front desk clerk if I was living there. It was funny at the time because you could tell it was a language issue as English was not her first language. But it also just added to the experience. But, I replied that yes I was living there.

A very sketchy Sheraton.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingJJD
Shullsburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Last road trip in the convertible for the year and ended up in Iowa City. We wanted to stay right downtown near the Ped Mall so this place seemed the obvious choice. Check in was a little challenging with two girls at the counter that were very friendly but speaking English was not their strong suite. We opted to upgrade for $30 to club level since it included internet, happy hour horderves , and breakfast. Well we would not do that again. Happy hour was not impressive and the only hot thing was some meatballs and sauce. If you wanted to add a glass of wine it was even more and even one of the employees told us we would be better off walking to one of the many surrounding bars for less. Understandable for things to be more expensive at a hotel but not sure how much when you already pay to access club level. Wireless internet worked well but if you have a smartphone LTE networks work very well in the area so we would not pay for it again.
As for breakfast...... take it or leave it. Convenient but I guess we have gotten spoiled when we stay at Embassy Suites. There were scrambled eggs with some ham pieces in them for the hot part and then the typical continental fare.
Our room was clean with king bed. The heating and air unit was noisy as it the box sort that sits by the window. Bed had nice linens but was very very soft.
Overall It just comes down to location. Would not recommend paying the extra for club level.
Almost forgot to mention that parking is an additional $11plus tax in the attached garage.

Room Tip: Pass on club level unless you really need the convenience
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winocpl
Belgium
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

....but can be noisy on the weekend. The night I arrived the college football team had won a big game. By Sunday morning hotel was looking worse for wear,and I guess a lot of the guests had sore heads. But by Monday morning this was a great hotel with very nice staff. Look out for free hospitality on a Tuesday night around 5.30pm. Very nice touch!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you are looking for a good location close to the University of Iowa or downtown Iowa City the Sheraton will work. Overall price is a little steep for this location and you have to pay for several benefits that come free at hotels like the Drury Inn. Here are a few things you might want to consider when booking. Parking is not free but is located right beside the Sheraton and I have heard if you book on line that this fee may be waved. Internet is not free unless you pay more to stay on their club level. Overall service is mixed depending on who you make contact with each day. I had some great experiences with the staff and at times felt like they didn't really care if you were there or not. This location has a restaurant and bar on site. Breakfast is not included unless you stay on a club floor. Rooms are clean, nice shower and comfy bed. Bathrooms are small and could use better lighting. TV channel selection is a little weak. AC worked well and I like that you can keep the fan running to help drown out noise and that it is not hooked up to a motion sensor that shuts it off in the middle of the night.. I would recommend staying on the north side as you can hear the loud sirens at times from the different rescue vehicles being called out. My king room did not come with a small refrigerator and I was told that none of the rooms have them. Traffic can be busy at times depending on the time frame, as you have lots of college students walking and driving through the area. What is neat about this location is on the back side of the Sheraton is a pedestrian mall with several restaurants, bars coffee shops, and ice cream shops etc. During the middle of the week this area is very calm but I was told it is extremely crowed on the weekends especially with college students. Overall I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter and ask to be on the 4th floor or higher to not hear the noise f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Pretty awesome stay. Great service. But food was not very good. Clean sheets and big rooms that was nice. I really liked that a lot. nice resaurants nice door that was cool, convenienet rooms. enjoyed my stay

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!