Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$149
$49
Hotwire.com
$65
Hotels.com
Iowa House Hotel(Iowa City)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspedestrian mallgreat locationthe club loungebars and restaurantsheart of downtownpark your carcomfortable bedsthe room was niceenjoyed my stayupon checkfootball weekendcollege visituniversityspgrampstudentsfestival
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Pretty awesome stay. Great service. But food was not very good. Clean sheets and big rooms that was nice. I really liked that a lot. nice resaurants nice door that was cool, convenienet rooms. enjoyed my stay

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Front desk seemed a tad overwhelmed. I'd suggest asking for a room facing away from the square at the back of the hotel if you want to go to sleep before Midnight, as the bars and the traffic from them can get pretty noisy. Room was clean and well appointed. The location can't be beat.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a high room, facing away from the square if you want a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My friend & I stayed here for 3 nights, 2 of which were for a conference. We checked in on a Saturday a little after 4pm. We were supposed to be upgraded to a concierge room, but none were clean. They gave us a room on the 8th floor and gave us key cards that accessed the club lounge. That was fine with us. A nice young man that was part of the bell staff (he was from Okoboji) helped us with our insane amount of luggage. It took two trips with his help (and a cart). By ourselves it would have taken more. He earned his tip. The room was very clean. Nice white bedding, but I'd hate to try to keep that clean. After we had been in our room about 20 minutes, they brought us up a bottle of wine and a cheese plate. Nice touch. It took all of a minute for me to open that wine. Pretty good stuff too. The beds were very comfortable. The only complaint about the room was that the door had a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom, which allowed noise to flow into the room. I blocked it with a towel, and then it was fine. Shower had great pressure and a nice rainshower head. Bath products were nicely scented. We had a view of the pedestrian mall outside. One of the best things about this hotel is the proximity to the pedestrian mall. Walk right out the door and there are tons of restaurants, bars and shops just steps away. We also had a hospitality room for our conference. The staff was very helpful while we were setting stuff up. They moved a bed and some other furniture out of the room, per our request. They also brought us lots of ice. The room was right by the pool. Parking for the hotel is $11. Meeting space was good. It never got incredibly cold, like some other hotels. Food was good. Bottom line, if I come to Iowa City again, I would definitely stay here. Can beat the location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Well-appointed, well run, professional, helpful staff. It was great, plus so convenient in downtown Iowa City on the pedestrian mall. And, they were definitely dog friendly. They offer courtesy dog beds and water bowls. Parking was easy, too, in a ramp next door to the hotel. We booked online, guaranteed, and got free parking.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2013

There is nothing terribly bad about this hotel; unfortunately, there is nothing terribly good about it either. Its major asset is its location in downtown Iowa City - full of shops, bars, and restaurants - the area is quite lively on a football weekend. Parking is close, convenient, and reasonable at only $11 per night. Lobby is nice, checkin is quick and pleasant. After that, the problems begin. The rooms are standard Sheraton issue, lighting could be a little better. Closets are tiny - room to hang up only a few items. AC works well, but noisy. Baths are OK but small. Excellent showerhead. Beds pretty good - could be firmer. My major complaint is the horrible Club product. Last time I stayed here, I wasted 1500 points on an upgrade to Club; this time I received complimentary access because of SPG Platinum status. The only reason to have Club access is that one can obtain a cold bottle of water or a soft drink at any time. The breakfast is a joke - totally inedible scrambled eggs - they look like a large yellow brick. The pastries are not only small but very dry - one would suspect day-old. There really is no excuse for this, as better pastries can be obtained at any of the chain groceries in town. Failing that, there is a small market just a few steps from the Sheraton where excellent pastries can be obtained. Orange juice is bottled, not fresh-squeezed. Cold cereal and yogurt are available, as are coffee and tea. That's about it. If you are content with cereal and coffee, you might be satisfied - if you want anything else, you won't be. I didn't even bother going to the lounge in the late afternoon for canapes - they were so meager and pitiful last time, it wasn't worth the energy. No free alcohol in the lounge, and no cocktails, free or otherwise. This all adds up to a pitiful, nearly worthless Club product. Obviously this Sheraton has a radically different view of what a Club product should be from many other Sheratons throughout the world. If you can get complimentary access, that's nice for the water and soft drinks - don't waste your money or your points to get Club access - it's a near-worthless product. Take the $30-50 you would spend on an upgrade and go spend it on breakfast or drinks that have some element of quality. Management should be ashamed of what it is offering on Club floor. At many Sheratons, guests are clamoring for access to Club level - if I were to arrive at this Sheraton and be told I couldn't have free access, it wouldn't bother me at all. There is little reason to want to have that access.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple