“Great Location and Friendly Staff”

Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights because our young son had eye surgery at the University Hospital. The hotel was wonderful and is located within walking distance to many great things. The pool is undergoing some maintenance so they gave us passes the the University Rec Center...what a Treat! It was only a short walk (shuttle was offered) and had a great pool for our three year old. Thanks to the staff for there great hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Melanie B, General Manager at Sheraton Iowa City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

We all hope your son has recovered well! Let us know if you ever need anything else during your next trip to Iowa City! Warm regards!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

On our way to Kansas City, we avoided a snowstorm by spending the night in Iowa City. We had booked at a motel in Coralville but after getting a recommendation from the smart staff at Iowa Book, we switched to the Sheraton in town. For $15 more we got covered parking and a lovely college town, which I thought was pretty good for a last-minute rate. Prairie Lights Bookstore was steps away. The room had just been renovated, and was very nice, with a very comfortable bed. Prairie LIghts was steps away, as were lots of food options and a terrific food market.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us during the snow storm. We are hoping the winter weather blows over and we start feeling the warmth of spring! If your travels bring you this way again please join us and experience the Pedestrian Mall - shops & fun in warmer weather!

Have a great spring!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

When I travel, I need really strong internet. I play massive multiplayer online games semi-seriously, and finding a decent hotel connection while traveling is always a bear. I routinely ask for rooms "near the router," and this at least gives me enough bars. But then often hotels don't buy enough bandwidth, and by the time all the guests log on with their ipads and wireless devices, there's nothing leftover. You end up with five bars but no ability to download anything at speed. Disconnections, dropouts, and long lag times are the norm. People relying on the "hotel healer" (yes, that's my in-game nickname) to heal them in games are dropping dead with each lost packet. Nerd rage among team members results. We lose boss kills. Team rankings plummet.

Fast forward to the Sheraton Iowa City. I gave the usual instructions ("need strong internet; prefer room near router") and the front desk not only wrote back to tell me they'd found a good room, but also connected me with their engineer, to make sure they'd gotten the specifications right. And then I show up and, joy of joys, there's an actual hardwire in addition to the wireless. And another message from the engineer asking if everything was OK with my connection, or did they need to jury rig something.

Well, I'm impressed. These guys had sub-20 ms lag to begin with and were willing to optimize it further for me. I don't even get that at home. Kudos.

And, yes, the rooms were clean and business-like, and the front desk staff were courteous and helpful. The only negative experience was the shrimp dish I ordered from the restaurant affiliated with the hotel, Share. The Asian sauce was 80% ketchup, I think. I guess that's a Midwestern take on Asian cuisine :) Much better were the breakfasts there. Lesson learned: Stick to American food.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for letting us know about your exceptional experience! Executive Chef Thorin Peugh did look into the shrimp and we will make sure we provide quality each experience. We do strive to use local ingredients in all our small plates. Give us another try and let us know while you are here so we can provide you a different option, at our cost, to enjoy if you aren't satisfied!

Look forward to having you back in the future! Thanks agian for your review!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

A huge thank you to Sheri at Front Desk, wonderful warm can do helpful Sheri made sure all our requests were met! We were looking forward to our 2 connecting rooms stay on Club Floor for a family reunion and Sheri made sure every detail of our stay was in place! We enjoyed the warm breakfast food as well as variety of fruits, pastries, toasts, beverages, etc selections of the Club Lounge. In the evening there were choices of delicious warm appetizer, cheeses, crackers, fruits, beverages and outrageously rich desserts. Club Lounge has computer business center, tables and chairs with couch area. There are beverages and fruits available all day long.

Upon walking into the large foyer/front desk area of Sheraton Iowa City we were offered a complimentary glass of wine and warm appetizers being served in the couch area of foyer, very nice surprise! Check in was friendly and fast. One night we ordered to go food from the restaurant, it was all received quickly and ever order was correct and delicious.

Both our rooms were spacious with modern decor done in warm color palet, super comfortable bed with several layers of coverings, very clean and bathroom with proper lighting for woman to make up (NOT found now a days in many hotels)! Large flat screen tv, nice work space with lots of electrical connections, fast internet connection, desk with ergo chair and tasty coffee maker with teas. The heating and air conditioning worked immediately when switching!

There is a large over hang pull up area to unload your belongings, along with valet assistance and convenient self or valet parking. We have stayed here for business and now personal needs, never been disappointed and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Club Floor well worth booking. Friendly can do staff in all areas!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Melanie B, General Manager at Sheraton Iowa City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for letting us know about your wonderful stay on the Club Floor! It's always nice to have special amenities waiting upon arrival and the small addition in cost is well worth the value!

Have a great spring!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is perfect for the business traveler working with the University (or anyone coming to the University). You feel like you are on campus (literally blocks away). There are walk-able shops and eateries nearby. The staff here are truly exemplary. They are always smiling and very courteous. While I understand that is their job, they do it VERY well.

The room was nicely appointed and quite. I have been at the desk almost the entire time I've been in the room (aside from sleeping) and find it to be comfortable with good lighting. There are plenty of outlets, which is nice.

On the negative side, I was disappointed there wasn't a mini fridge and the bathroom is pretty tiny. I consider the bathroom a minor inconvenience. The fridge is fairly significant to me but not so much as to ask for one.

I will definitely stay here on my next trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for letting us know that we can make business travel easy for you! I have taken note of your request for additional in room amenities. We will certainly keep this in mind as we look into overall hotel enhancement!

Next time you confirm your reservation, please let us know ahead of time and we will have in your room waiting for you upon arrival!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip, and the moment I walked through the door I was greeted by extremely cheerful and friendly staff. Check-in took under two minutes, and the rooms are great if you've got work to do--the desks and chairs are ergonomically designed, with good lighting and plenty of outlets and places for gadget hookups. The beds are super comfortable and the heating/air system isn't too noisy and doesn't blast you with hot and cold air, as is the case in so many hotels.

Added bonus: The gym is wonderful! (it's a real gym that guests have access to, not just a room with a few machines). The location is great-just outside you've got plenty of restaurants, coffee shops, and even a great library if you need one. The Bread Garden next door has great soups and salads and snacks that you can take up to your room.

Only one small complaint: No movies "on demand"? I really wanted to watch a movie after a long day of work, but the TVs only get basic cable channels....sigh....oh well!

Great place, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us during your travel to Iowa City! I am sorry we did not meet your need for on-demand movies yet instead have offered HBO to our travelers. There are alot of discussions on movie options and in our area we have found so many of our guests really like to explore our Pedestrian Mall and local shops that not many stay in.

I am truely sorry we disappointed you for this amentiy! We hope next time there will be better offerings on our cable channels! Also, let us know and maybe we can provide directions to one of our local theatres or provide options for great entertainment!

Look forward to seeing you in the gym!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The rooms at the Sheraton were nice enough and it was clean but in an era when most hotels are providing extra amenities, Sheraton scrimps! No continental breakfast or free wi-fi. There are hotels as nice and nicer that are providing these so I would definitely make another choice next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know the amenities that matter most to you! Our brand doesn't offer the breakfast and wi-fi you may have been seeking yet if you do check our packages & offers you hopefully can find a more customized experience that you were looking to make your stay more enjoyable!

We want to be able to provide full service to all our guests. Share Wine Lounge offers great breakfast entree's and a range of items on our breakfast table. Our wi-fi is a nominal fee which does enable us to offer you extensive bandwidth for all hi-def gaming and social needs.

Please don't give up on us! We want you to stay with us! Take a look into our specials and let's see if something might suit you better for your next stay in Iowa City!