“Best hotel in Iowa”

Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I spent my first two days in Iowa staying at a hotel that was NOT the Sheraton, in a smoking room, with at best fairly patchy hotel staff. The difference between that hotel and The Sheraton was night and day. Firstly the Sheraton rooms are immaculate, their staff are friendly and helpful and this hotel's location is one of the best I've come across, given the price range. My only suggestion is free in-room wifi...get that nd this hotel would be a world-beater!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
GM_SheratonIowaCity, General Manager at Sheraton Iowa City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Glad to have you as our guest and you are welcome back anytime! Our internet does host a charge yet we do offer expanded bandwidth that many hotels do not offer. Come back soon as we are going to be offering 3 connections for one price! Have a great day!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

was here for a meeting at the University.. staff was great..rooms terrif location charming.. many good eateries within easy friendly walking .. staff great,, all in all we had fun.. were well treated andhotel exceeded my expectations .,so did IOWA CITY.. wehad a great time ate well.. learned alot and all bought a treasure from funky clothes to artisan earrings...hotel driver accomdated us ot Univ emtgs and dineers nearby with perfect pick ups..
great stay

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Hope to have you back in Iowa City soon! We look forward to seeing you!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

And they have been very helpful.
I travel here twice a year from MPLS with a friend for medical treatment at the University. We usually arrive late and need to be up before 8AM.
The last time (January) the cleaning staff ignored our quiet/privacy sign, talked loudly, BLARED a radio, etc. I complained, and they were gracious, but sleep was not to be had.
Most recent visit: Fell asleep on the heavenly beds, but was woken by an alarm (5AM) in the next room. After knocking repeatedly, concluded that either someone was comatose, or else that the staff had not reset alarm/ long story short- a stressful full day at the hospital sans sleep. For less than 6 hours, not the best value.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for letting us know of the little details that can really derail an overnight stay. I have reviewed your comments with our Director of Rooms and we have refreshed our team on these details. My apologies we didn't get it right the first time. We hope you will give us another try and enjoy a sweet nights sleep so we can connect again.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is located right on the pedestrian mall adjacent to the University of Iowa campus. Several blocks of cobblestoned street are full of interesting shops and good restaurants. The hotel rooms are clean and spacious. Seniors should look for a preffered guest rate which gives access to the top floor lounge where breakfast and an evening snack is served daily. Bottled water is complementary and the lounge is a good area for reading late at night and not disturbing roommates. Parking is 11 dollars a night. The pool area is lovely and overlooks the mall from the second floor. Staff is very friendly and helpful. They were having some trouble with keycards deactivating which was a bit of a pain but I would imagine that is fixed by now.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank javo
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Sheraton is very centrally located with direct access to the ped mall. Restaurants, shops, and bars are all within short walking distance. The price is reasonable. Do expect to pay for parking in the adjacent parking garage. This is standard for downtown hotels, where parking is limited. I believe it was $11 per day.

I am disappointed that Internet access is charged. I don't understand why hotels gouge people for Internet access when likely it is a nominal expense for them. I chose to use the nearby public library and the ped mall for free. One can use the computers in the lobby for free access, and I believe I could have used my laptop there for free, too, but seating is very limited and not the most comfortable environment for using your own laptop. I still think it is tacky to charge for internet to begin with, though I am aware that many hotels besides Sheraton do.

The hotel description I read on the internet (I believe it was the Sheraton website) said there was a complimentary continental breakfast. I don't believe there was, though. On our day of checkout, we ate in the hotel restaurant and paid via credit card, but the hotel double charged us by charging the card AND billing our room. It was somewhat of a hassle to get that straightened out.

I think housekeeping could have been more generous with replenishing our shower gel and lotions. I do think someone needs to pay more attention to clearing dishes and trays out of the hallways after room service. Often they would be there most of the day. The room was very clean, though, and housekeeping staff was friendly and nice. The room was spacious with a nice layout, and I liked the comfortable desk and chair. We enjoyed the in-room Starbucks coffee.

I recommend visiting the nearby Bread Market for gourmet treats. They also have healthy fresh-squeezed fruit and vegetable juices. 126 has a nice brunch. Orchard Green offers fine dining with a well-rounded menu, and Trumpet Blossom was a charming cafe with excellent, tasty vegetarian food. There is a very cool vintage store across the street from the Bluebird Diner that is fun to browse through, and John's Grocery across the street is a beer lover's paradise with just about every kind of brew style you can imagine. All of these places are within walking distance. If you walk a little further, you can rent a bike from World of Bikes and ride Iowa City's trails by the river.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a funky corner room. We were going to move to a corner room to improve o...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alminavl
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My partner and I stay here every year for New Year's/our anniversary because of it's perfect downtown location. There are many restaurants and bars right next to the hotel, so there's is always something new to try when we come back. We were upgraded once to a suite as "Guest of the Day" which was amazing. The only downfall is that basic rooms don't have a fridge or microwave. It sucks having to come back with leftovers from an amazing restaurant and have to throw it away....and take 5 trips to the ice machine to fill the sink to keep drinks cold.

The bed's are amazingly comfortable, though!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This hotel is Downtown and close to the University of Iowa and sits on a plaza that is very new. The plus is you could walk to restaurants, unique stores, many bars ( this is a college town) and feel safe. At night, I noticed some homeless wandering around and many, many college students. The hotel looks out over the plaza and the music and noise comes into your room, but if you turn on the fan on the thermostat it drowns them out. I noticed a bit of a musty smell in the hall??? I don't know why? Ice machine? The pool is well attended and some rooms look out over the pool. There are extra towels and a gate around the pool, no diving board or child area and no life guard. There is also a 3-4 person hot tub. Off of this is a small mirrored exercise area with a couple machines and mat area. The beds are great! Overstuffed pillows, fluffy comforter, an
area on each side for table and lamp. The room seems European in design with a free standing closet and tv on a desk like area. I would have liked more space to store things as we were a party of two. This is also interesting, our reservation was for 3 but we got a King sized bed. Luckily, only 2 went. Internet is not free and each device has to pay, so 2 devices are 2 fees. No one said anything about free internet downstairs, but who really wants that? There also fees to park each day in the public parking area, so be prepared. I would ask what the rate is if you are staying any period of time. Did not eat at the hotel's restaurant or have room service. We had task for a do not disturb sign and a night lite, and have a towel bar installed as it had little room for hanging things up and no shelf space except two small six inch shelfs. So if you get my old room, it has a new towel rack for you. It has a very nice lobby. It looks like a good place to hold an event. I would stay there again, but I would look around for less nickel and dime issues. I hope they fix that. Also, a number of the housekeepers are foreign, which can a communication issue. But that seems to be common in the hotel business now.

Room Tip: You may want to stay on a higher floor for the view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 12Cross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#6 of 7 in Iowa City
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Travelodge Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
#4 of 7 in Iowa City
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!