“Absolutely Charming!!”
Review of Brown Street Inn

Brown Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my 3-night stay at the Brown Street Inn. Even before I arrived, I knew from talking with Mark on the phone that I would enjoy staying at Mark's and Bob's B&B. Both Mark and Bob were so very welcoming. You feel right at home and at ease the moment you arrive. Their B&B is beautifully decorated, spotless, and quiet. The breakfast fare and cookies were wonderful. My daughter that has dietary restrictions joined me for breakfast one morning. Mark and Bob created a duplicate meal for her that was gluten free that she very much appreciated and enjoyed. Although I didn't have enough free time to spend much time on that awesome front porch, I'm hoping to do that during a return visit! Mark and Bob definitely set the tone for a pleasant home away from home. The conversations with Mark and Bob are something that I will fondly keep in my memories. The overall stay was heart warming and more than met my expectations. I feel that Mark and Bob have become friends to us.

Room Tip: I stayed in the yellow room. It is a comfy, beautifully decorated room. I was able to take a look...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Perched on a hilltop just north of downtown, the Brown Street Inn will be your home away from home when you're visiting Iowa City. The inn is comfortably and tastefully furnished with antiques without being fussy. The front porch was a real treat, overlooking the beautifully landscaped front yard. We stayed in the Green Room which was spotlessly clean and welcoming (although the black plumbing fixtures did take a little getting used to).

Mark and Bob are great hosts and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The bathroom in the Green Room is somewhat cramped. If you don't require a king-size bed, consi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I don't often gush about a B&B, but the Brown Street Inn in Iowa City is a rare and fabulous find on all counts. Mark has to be the warmest, most welcoming host ever....incredibly accommodating, fun and sincerely interested in his guests. He serves a terrific breakfast beginning at 7:00 a.m. through 10....no need to pick a time, just come down and he's on the job. Though weekdays are designated "continental fare only" Mark also serves a colorful fresh fruit plate, and offers home made muffins and breads in addition to yogurt and cereal. Weekends include a full cooked breakfast...we had quiche, cream cheese filled blueberry french toast, among other delights...

The Inn itself is exquisite....spacious, elegant, quiet and comfortable...Again you could spend many days inside - perusing books, enjoying the artistic and tasteful decor, examining beautiful works of art and decorative items, carefully chosen by Bob, and displayed throughout. We loved the long, inviting front porch where we rocked, read papers, chatted and surveyed the lovely grounds whenever we could.

Ours was the Red Room....large, queen bed, desk, couch, dresser, small frig in closet, beautifully decorated and maintained. I would definitely recommend it. The neighborhood is truly lovely and within walking distance to the campus and downtown areas....You can see from the other reviews that they are ALL 5 stars, and we add ours as well, with gratitude and fond memories of an all too short 3 night stay. We are just sorry we don't live close enough to take Mark and Bob out to lunch and enjoy their company....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Morningstar04
Reviewed August 15, 2013

After years of staying at local hotels in Iowa City for brief summer visits, I decided to try out a bed & breakfast this year. I was pleasantly surprised at the Brown Street Inn and found myself feeling cheated for never having stayed there in the past. This place gets an A+ for hospitality, cleanliness, and charm. This is where you want to stay! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephen070707
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the Brown Street Inn for three nights earlier this month. It was exceptional. Mark and Bob were absolutely lovely and so helpful and friendly. The neighbourhood was beautiful also - so much nicer than staying downtown, and a number of literary associations (e.g. Kurt Vonnegut, Tennessee Williams). Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Friendly bed and breakfast place in Iowa City. Provided a wonderful continental breakfast, a cozy room and wonderful hospitality by the hosts Mark and Bob. They made the stay remarkable and memorable.

Room Tip: Book the Suite Room for a escape hideaway in the third floor of the house.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed in the green room and loved it. Fantastic hosts, great breakfast, comfortable bed - everything was lovely. It's a nice walk to downtown. Very quiet location. Highly recommended. The hosts had lots of good tips about places to eat and things to do in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#6 of 7 in Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
#4 of 7 in Iowa City

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!