“I had a great time”

hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Minnesota
“I had a great time”
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I recently stayed at the hotelVetro and enjoyed my stay. I read the other reviews here, and have to say I had no issues with either noise or cleanliness. My room was not on the side facing the city, but rather looked out over a parking garage. It wasn't the most inspiring view, but it was very quiet. Of course, I would not be the sort of person who would be bothered by other people's late-night revelry, were I to experience it on the other side of the hotel.

My biggest complaint about the hotel is that it does not have wireless internet. The entire hotel is made of concrete--it is one of those super-cool, ultra-modern, sterile sort of places. Unfortunately, the concrete makes it impossible for them to have wireless, or so I was told by the hotel staff. It was very annoying.

Everything else was good. There is a kitchenette, and I was given plates and utensils and pots and pans. They also have a little coffee maker and complimentary Starbucks coffee. The bathroom was great, with a very nice shower and a big soaking tub. The bed was very, very comfortable and I loved the pillows. The location can't be beat--it is just where you want to be. And to top it all off, the main level houses a sushi restaurant with a very nice bar and some very cute bartenders. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
chicago, IL
Reviewed April 25, 2009

The room reminded me of the hotel I stayed at in Milan with contemporary furniture. Large size room, nice bathroom fixtures. Has kitchenette sans any utensils/plates. I would stay here again but will definitely bring earplugs as people coming out from bars at 2AM are pretty noisy and the noise carries up to the rooms. I would think the Sheraton next door also would have noise issues from these bar patrons. Also, with the concrete floors, the footsteps of anyone walking out in the hallways in heels are very loud.
Colleague's room had a balcony on a different floor, also nice but unfortunately is AN ADJOINING room--they heard everything down to phone conversations, TV, toilet flushing. I, on the other hand, did not hear anything from adjacent rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Big mistake. Hotels claims suites. They are not, just rooms with a refrigerator and sink by the entrance. Our room was horribly noisy; huge compressors going on and off all night. Weird, sterile photos of baseballs down concrete corridors. Stay away. Better to go to he Sheraton.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Osito61
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Vetro for three nights when we checked our University of Iowa freshman into her dorm. The best thing about the place is the location -- it's in the heart of Iowa City across the pedestrian mall from the library. It's an easy walk to dining, shopping and campus so once you park your car in the garage, you don't need it again.

The minimal decor is attractive, but if you're going to make a commitment to the style, you also have to make a commitment to details, and this is where the Vetro falls short. As we walked into the lobby at any time of the day or night, the glass entrance doors were filthy with fingerprints. Our local Starbucks does a better job of keeping their doors clean. During much of our stay, there were room service trays littering the hallway and carts of dirty dishes abandoned near the elevators for hours on end.

In the room, the glass door separating the bathroom from the beds was also covered in smudges and fingerprints -- I hated touching it. The shower was full of mold, and the same large smudge remained at the top of the glass surround during our entire stay, telling me the housekeeper didn't bother to clean it. The floors were not vacuumed during our stay and the glass tray tables on the chaise lounges in the room were never wiped.

The room itself was not very warm and welcoming -- the Ikea-style furniture was arranged in a strange fashion, with a chaise wedged between two massive wardrobes and another one at the foot of one of the beds, obstructing the path to the bathroom. The table was shoved up against the wall in a dark corner next to a wardrobe, and the cords for the tv dangled in a messy tangle.

The noise from the mall when the bars closed interrupted our sleep, even with the windows closed, and the loud outdoor concert that went on outside on Friday night meant it was almost impossible to talk or watch tv.

I realize there aren't that many places to stay in Iowa City, especially that close to campus, but I found the Vetro to be over-priced and sorely lacking in the cleanliness department.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The overall cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank julias21
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed June 11, 2008

My husband & I recently stayed at the Hotel Vetro for a "weekend getaway". It was WONDERFUL!! Very relaxing, clean and we loved the european look to the hotel. The hotel and bar staff were very friendly and accomodating. Our only complaint was that our room was situated near the ouside heating/cooling units for the hotel, which made it a little noisy in the morning. The oversided tub and shower were awesome!! We have stayed at various hotels in the Iowa City/Coralville area and this is definitely our favorite. It's right on the ped mall so within walking distance to most restaurants and bars. A very enjoyable weekend!

Stayed May 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Two friends and I met in Iowa City for a weekend and decided to stay at hotel Vetro. This place is amazing!

First off we were impressed by the modern architecture of the exterior and lobby. Check-in couldn't have been friendlier.

Our room was so nicely designed! They took great care in making a superb, hip, modern, minimalistic hotel. Our room was huge, and had a kitchen (though no dishes or silverware). The bathroom was awesome! A gigantic tub, an interesting sink, a nice shower, lots of storage. I was a little nervous about the bathroom door (which was frosted glass, so didn't seem super private for friends travelling together), but it ended up being no big deal.

The best part, however, was our terrace. We thought it was going to be more of a "balcony", but it was a huge terrace with a table and four chairs, and it was so nice to hang out there and watch the people passing by on the Ped Mall.

Our beds were so comfortable - we slept well and all said to each other that we wished our beds at home were as comfy as those in hotel Vetro!

There were parties in the room next door, and street noise, but we were not disturbed by any of it because we were there to have a good time and barhop also.

All of the staff - including night security people - couldn't have been friendlier or more accommodating. The location right on the Ped Mall, with a grocery store on the ground floor and numerous restaurants all around, couldn't have been better.

I loved this place - and wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Iowa City!

• Liked — modern design, big room, comfortable bed, neat bathroom, awesome terrace
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Omaha
Reviewed May 7, 2008

A boutique hotel in Iowa City? Amazing. The staff were great, giving us directions to the venue our concert was at and recommendations for dinner.

The room was beautiful. poured concrete floors, glassed in shower, huge tub, floor to ceiling windows! The only bad part was that it was one of the coldest days of the year, so the floor got quite chilly. The beds were super comfy.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — overall quailty and style
  • Disliked — the walk from the parking garage
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville

Been to hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center? Share your experiences!