The 4 things you can't beat by choosing hotelVetro; contemporary style, spacious rooms, awesome gym and the perfect location especially if needing to stay/conduct business in "downtown" Iowa City.
The clean, modern and contemporary style of the property and rooms is right up there with most 4-5 star boutique hotels. My room was quite large, nicely appointed, clean and bright (even though the weather was dreary). The on-site fitness center was a great surprise offering as good (if not better) a workout than I normally do every day. The gym staff was friendly and accommodating. And the location of the hotel was fantastic - right in the heart of campus, close by to restaurants, shops (The Bread Garden is unbelievable!) and coffee houses. The airport shuttle ($70 r/t) takes only about 20 mins so don't worry about needing a car if your visit is contained to the general campus area.
My check-in experience was handled by a nice, friendly young woman. However her follow-up skills on items needed once in my room were lacking. The Kitchen Kit took nearly 2 hours to be delivered and the engineer sent to set the somewhat complex air-handling system was also quite delayed. The hotel doesn't seem to have the same sense of urgency as similar upper-scale boutique properties. The evening front desk staff was stiff and unfriendly. My very early AM check out was handled by a delightful woman who was very friendly and spunky for 5:00 AM.
I was very dissatisfied by the lobby restaurant Formosa. The food was terrible. The service lacking. The Sheraton (hotelVetro's sister hotel) next door has a great restaurant called Share. Now that was good food and great service!
I'd probably go back to hotelVetro for some of my upcoming trips to Iowa City as the feel and vibe of the place fits more with my style. I hope my next visits find some improvements.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegance, sophistication, and metropolitan flair-experience it all at downtown Iowa City's newest hotel and conference center, located just a block away from the University of Iowa. Listed by Budget Travel Magazine as one of the Top 100 Best Values in the World, hotelVetro is the ultimate in upscale lodging. Boasting modern architectural design, deluxe guest rooms, contemporary kitchens, and the sophisticated yet environmentally conscious amenities, hotelVetro is ideal for short or long-term stays. HotelVetro is a premiere Iowa City conference center, with over 15,000 square feet of versatile banquet space and meeting rooms. Featuring a stunning 4,800 square foot open-air Roof Garden, which offers a magnificent view of the Iowa City Cultural District, hotelVetro provides an unforgettable backdrop for business and social events. HotelVetro offers a complimentary shuttle within a 3 mile radius based on availability. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotelvetro: Studio Suites And Convention Center
- Hotelvetro: Studio Suites & Convention Center Hotel Iowa City
- Hotelvetro Studio Hotel
- HotelVetro: Studio Suites & Convention Center Iowa City