“Stylin in Iowa!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center

hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
“Stylin in Iowa!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

While making the drive to St. Louis we spent the night in Iowa City at the HotelVetro. We arrived at 12:50am and were greeted by Pat, a helpful and super sweet employee. The hotel is located in the perfect place for you to walk and explore everything downtown. Polished concreted floors, huge wardrobes for you to hang your clothes, convection microwaves, apartment size fridge, and mondern but cozy bathrooms. The large oval tub is a perfect way to relax after business. We were on the fith floor, the floor below us has large walkout patios with privacy walls. I love this hotel and would most def. stay there again. You felt like you were staying in a loft style apartment, more like a home than a hotel. Also the security was great and a little more than I expected for Iowa City but being a college town it's a great way to keep the trouble out. Super friendly, super quiet, Super comfy hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location! Walking distance to everything downtown Iowa City has to offer: great restaurants, boutiques, salons, etc. Very neat area. Food at Share was absolutely wonderful-some of the best that I've had anywhere with tons of vegetarian choices! Very eco-friendly and the rooms are very spacious and accommodating with full kitchen, over-sized tub, and large living area. I had a suite with a very large balcony/terrace which was very nice. I would stay at this hotel every time without a second thought.

Room Tip: I would book a suite with a balcony. The rooms are spacious, well-appointed, and very comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Melanie B, General Manager at hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your wonderful stay! We are proud of our hotel and glad we made a difference for you!

Share Wine Lounge offers such a unique small plate dining experience. We change our menu often so please join us when you return to the Iowa City area!

Happy Holidays!

Melanie
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

My parents and I truly enjoyed our three-night stay at hotelVetro. It is perfectly situated in downtown Iowa City, within walking distance of the university and other downtown attractions. There is an upscale supermarket in the same complex, and parking is available at a reduced rate ($11/day, unlimited in/out with hotel validation of the parking ticket each time) at the city parking structure at the corner.

The hotel lobby is bright and airy, with a piano and two macs for guests to use. The staff were all very friendly. The room was very spacious and decorated in a very modern, minimalist style. Think concrete floors, and a frosted glass sliding door to the bathroom. There is plenty of storage in the two large wardrobes. The beds and linens were extremely comfortable. However, although stylish, I am not sure everything is designed with function in mind. For example, there is only one hook for hanging up towels in the bathroom of a room with two beds (which doesn’t seem to advance the ecologically forward vision of the hotel) and the large flat sink can splash. The kitchen area was useful; be sure to ask for a kitchen kit if you plan to do more than make coffee.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, but should mention a couple of things. The lobby restaurant, Formosa, can get loud with guests spilling into the lobby on a weekend night. No noise travels up to the rooms, and we felt quite safe with the keycard-operated elevators. As part of their green initiative, the hotel offers guests the opportunity to forgo housekeeping each day (except for the day of departure) in exchange for a $5 gift card to Share, the wine nearby bar/bistro nearby that can provide room service, or $5 off the bill. However, if you opt for this option, be sure that housekeeping leaves a voucher under the door. Upon check-out we were asked for them, but we didn’t know that was the system. We thought housekeeping takes note of the card you leave on the door and records which rooms were cleaned or not. The receptionist wasn’t sure how to fix this on the spot, but offered to send me an adjusted receipt by email. I received a blank email the next day, and upon following up I was just sent another copy of the same receipt. I decided to drop the issue because the real point was to reduce resource use.

However, I would definitely recommend hotelVetro to others and stay there again should I have occasion to visit Iowa City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for providing so much detail regarding your stay at hotelVetro. We are so pleased with the hotel and it's unique identity in Iowa City. Our overnight accomodations do provide many options and we will definately look into your suggestions for continued ways to improve our sustainability efforts.

Our doors provide a special sweep at the bottom to assist with noise from the hallways which make putting the credit under your door difficult. We are reviewing training options with the team and are looking into a better way to ensure those whom assist us are properly and promptly rewarded!

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Holiday Season -

Melanie
DES MOINES, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

In town for a doctor appointment and tried this hotel instead of the Sheraton and very pleased. Very modern decor with spacious room. Definitely would stay here again. Pay parking at a discount next door.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_SheratonIowaCity, General Manager at hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
We are so pleased you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the room our unique guestrooms have to offer! We look forward to seeing you when your travel returns to Iowa City.

Vermont USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I love the Hotel Vetro's cool modern vibe. If you like concrete, glass, and blonde wood - you'll like this. Concrete floors throughout (lobby, rooms, hallways). A bit noisy in the halls but great if you are like me and doubt the cleanliness of regular hotel carpeting. There are some rugs in the rooms so you aren't walking on hard concrete all the time. My room had a small kitchen with table and 2 bar stools, couch, coffee table, lounge chair, desk, tv, king bed, whirlpool bath and glass enclosed shower. Wall-to-wall windows with roller shades when privacy is desired. My only complaint was that the room was 74 degrees in December and I could not cool it despite lowering the thermostat. I opened the 2 panes of glass that could be opened to let in some fresh air. The ventilation system is quite loud - a white noise, blowing sound, like a big fan. It is loud but at least constant - not turning on and off all night like many hotels. It does block any hallway noise and I slept very soundly in the comfortable bed with no noise issues. However, if a loud blowing noise might bother you, beware. The noise came from a large ventilation shaft along the wall and could not be turned off. The location is nice right on the pedestrian mall near many bars and restaurants and close to the old capitol and that area of campus. Walking distance to lots of things. Parking is expensive in downtown and not included - there is a public parking ramp next door though, and they will valet park your car for $5 above the regular parking fee. Beware that it may take awhile for the valet to get your car - they told me 10 minutes, but it was more like 20. Just be sure to call ahead so your car is ready if you need to be somewhere on time. The staff were nice and overall I really like this place. It's a great departure from the ordinary ho-hum hotel room with a great young, modern vibe. I will stay here next time I'm in Iowa City. Oh, yeah - I forgot that the shower was lukewarm, I couldn't get it hot. Not a big deal though.

Room Tip: One side faces the pedestrian mall and old Capitol area - this would be preferable to the view I had...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We look forward to being your host during your next visit! hotelVetro strives to provide a special experience different from a branded hotel. We just completed checking each HVAC unit in each guestroom and will continue to make improvements in the noise during the usage of each individual unit.

We will continue to improve our staff service to ensure more timely delivery of your vehicle and ensure we provide proper amenities and services. Thank you for letting us know so we can continue to make improvements that matter to our guests!

Hebron, NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the Nebraska-Iowa football game. I really liked the decor; my husband not so much. It has a nice kitchen, but there is literally nothing in it for dishes, tea towels, or detergent. You can request a kitchen in a box for free, but it would be nice if it was just stocked.
The bathroom is really cool and has a sliding frosted glass door, which might bother some for privacy.
The bed was very comfortable, as were the couch and chaise. The chaise was terrific. Beware, though, families that there is not a pull-out couch.
I liked the modernity, but my husband wasn't so sure about it. It is different from your run-of-the-mill hotels.
The staff was very helpful, and we had no problems with noise. It is right on the Ped Mall, so it is extremely handy for location.
I would recommend eating at Micky's Irish Bar on Dubuque Street on the Ped Mall. Incredible food.
I would definitely stay there again, but just beware it is very modern and may not appeal to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
You were certainly here during a VERY cold day! We hope you enjoyed the game! We are pleased you had a good stay and look forward to your return! We do have some of our rooms stocked with kitchen accessories. We are working to provide standard wares in all our rooms.

Certainly hotelVetro does offer a modern experience. Our hotel is a great experience for anyone whom may want to experience something different in hospitality.

Conway, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Enjoyed this hotel very much except for one thing. I had seen that the rooms had kitchenettes so we stopped and bought groceries for our breakfast. When we got to the room we saw a small card that read call front desk for a 'kitchen box'. They delivered a plastic storage bin with plates, bowls,cups silverware, pots, etc all thrown in and not very clean.
My suggestion, if the hotel is concerned with theft-either charge a fee or invest in paper and plastic supplies!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for letting us know that your kitchen supplies were provided in such an condition. We will get this fixed immediately as you should be provided clean kitchen wares. Please accept my apologies. We will get this changed.

We look forward to your next visit in Iowa City.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville

Been to hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center? Share your experiences!