hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$149
$56
$71
$67
Agoda.com
Iowa House Hotel(Iowa City)
$104
$65
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfloor to ceiling windowssushi restaurantgrocery storemodern feelfull kitchenbread gardenglass showerped mallstove topunique hotelnice kitchenettepolished concreteheart of downtownkitchen areaparking garagegreat markettook great care
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I love the Hotel Vetro's cool modern vibe. If you like concrete, glass, and blonde wood - you'll like this. Concrete floors throughout (lobby, rooms, hallways). A bit noisy in the halls but great if you are like me and doubt the cleanliness of regular hotel carpeting. There are some rugs in the rooms so you aren't walking on hard concrete all the time. My room had a small kitchen with table and 2 bar stools, couch, coffee table, lounge chair, desk, tv, king bed, whirlpool bath and glass enclosed shower. Wall-to-wall windows with roller shades when privacy is desired. My only complaint was that the room was 74 degrees in December and I could not cool it despite lowering the thermostat. I opened the 2 panes of glass that could be opened to let in some fresh air. The ventilation system is quite loud - a white noise, blowing sound, like a big fan. It is loud but at least constant - not turning on and off all night like many hotels. It does block any hallway noise and I slept very soundly in the comfortable bed with no noise issues. However, if a loud blowing noise might bother you, beware. The noise came from a large ventilation shaft along the wall and could not be turned off. The location is nice right on the pedestrian mall near many bars and restaurants and close to the old capitol and that area of campus. Walking distance to lots of things. Parking is expensive in downtown and not included - there is a public parking ramp next door though, and they will valet park your car for $5 above the regular parking fee. Beware that it may take awhile for the valet to get your car - they told me 10 minutes, but it was more like 20. Just be sure to call ahead so your car is ready if you need to be somewhere on time. The staff were nice and overall I really like this place. It's a great departure from the ordinary ho-hum hotel room with a great young, modern vibe. I will stay here next time I'm in Iowa City. Oh, yeah - I forgot that the shower was lukewarm, I couldn't get it hot. Not a big deal though.

Room Tip: One side faces the pedestrian mall and old Capitol area - this would be preferable to the view I had of the parking ramp. You might request an upper level facing the Capitol for best view through the gorgeous floor to ceiling windows.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
GM_SheratonIowaCity, General Manager at hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

We look forward to being your host during your next visit! hotelVetro strives to provide a special experience different from a branded hotel. We just completed checking each HVAC unit in each guestroom and will continue to make improvements in the noise during the usage of each individual unit.

We will continue to improve our staff service to ensure more timely delivery of your vehicle and ensure we provide proper amenities and services. Thank you for letting us know so we can continue to make improvements that matter to our guests!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the Nebraska-Iowa football game. I really liked the decor; my husband not so much. It has a nice kitchen, but there is literally nothing in it for dishes, tea towels, or detergent. You can request a kitchen in a box for free, but it would be nice if it was just stocked.
The bathroom is really cool and has a sliding frosted glass door, which might bother some for privacy.
The bed was very comfortable, as were the couch and chaise. The chaise was terrific. Beware, though, families that there is not a pull-out couch.
I liked the modernity, but my husband wasn't so sure about it. It is different from your run-of-the-mill hotels.
The staff was very helpful, and we had no problems with noise. It is right on the Ped Mall, so it is extremely handy for location.
I would recommend eating at Micky's Irish Bar on Dubuque Street on the Ped Mall. Incredible food.
I would definitely stay there again, but just beware it is very modern and may not appeal to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

You were certainly here during a VERY cold day! We hope you enjoyed the game! We are pleased you had a good stay and look forward to your return! We do have some of our rooms stocked with kitchen accessories. We are working to provide standard wares in all our rooms.

Certainly hotelVetro does offer a modern experience. Our hotel is a great experience for anyone whom may want to experience something different in hospitality.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Enjoyed this hotel very much except for one thing. I had seen that the rooms had kitchenettes so we stopped and bought groceries for our breakfast. When we got to the room we saw a small card that read call front desk for a 'kitchen box'. They delivered a plastic storage bin with plates, bowls,cups silverware, pots, etc all thrown in and not very clean.
My suggestion, if the hotel is concerned with theft-either charge a fee or invest in paper and plastic supplies!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know that your kitchen supplies were provided in such an condition. We will get this fixed immediately as you should be provided clean kitchen wares. Please accept my apologies. We will get this changed.

We look forward to your next visit in Iowa City.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We enjoyed a modern room with wonderful hospitality. The shower was beautiful and warm. Our bed was perfect, with fluffy pillows and cozy linens. We were able to walk downtown for an dinner out and entertainment. The whole stay was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This Independent hotel is just as good or better than a Kimpton or "boutique" style hotel.
Prices are fair and location is close to many locations and venues. I would stay here in a heartbeat again. Half price wine on Tuesday night was great too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business