hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Iowa House Hotel(Iowa City)
Econo Lodge(Coralville)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfloor to ceiling windowssushi restaurantgrocery storemodern feelfull kitchenbread gardenglass showerped mallstove topunique hotelnice kitchenettepolished concreteheart of downtownkitchen areaparking garagegreat markettook great care
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at the Vetro for a conference at the University. This is modern boutique hotel. The room was spacious with a full kitchen. Tub and shower in the bathroom. The bed was excellent. I hit the pillow and the next thing I knew my morning alarm went off; I slept soundly. The hotel is adjacent to a pedestrian mall with lots of restaurants and a grocery store/restaurant right next door with upscale items as well as necessities. Being very close to the University there were numerous shops and restaurants in tha area within a very easy walk. The woman on the desk at check in was very friendly and knowledgeable and helped with several issues I had. All in all, my stay was very pleasant and I will return again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I traveled to IC on business for a night (August 29th) and was very impressed with the hotel and its staff. As much as I *usually* prefer an older/historic hotel for its character and charm, I really liked the sleek modern design. location was terrific, right on the pedestrian mall and near the campus.

Stayed on the sixth floor (the top floor of the hotel, tho' there are condos above) and found it it be quiet and relaxing. Although I was around the corner from the elevators (Rm #605), I never heard them once. My only complaint was a rather noisy A/C that kicked on intermittently throughout the night (necessary as Iowa was in the middle of a mid/upper 90s heat wave) - I commented on this in a post-stay survey email, and staff was apologetic and promised to correct the issue for future guests.

I missed the name of the young woman at the front desk who helped at check in , but she was gracious and gave a good recommendation to dine/drink at nearby 'Share' for Happy Hour and to have dinner at 'Devotay' (unfortunately closed that evening for a private event).

A very good stay and a hotel I'd recommend and -more importantly- stay at again whnever I get to return to Iowa City.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GM_SheratonIowaCity, General Manager at hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

hotelVetro offer's a unique experience and we are pleased you enjoyed our accomodations. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Great spot in the heart of town. Rooms great with concrete floors and kitchenettes. Halls a bit loud with all the foot ball revelers. Don't miss the restaurants and market at the lobby. Kitchen package of plates etc very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for view room. Ours faced parking garage.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Glad you had a great time! While your room did overlook the parking lot, we hope you enjoyed the new art work we provided by our local Iowa City artist! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

In July, 2012, we moved from Omaha to the Milwaukee area. I am including that information here because the night we spent at Hotel Vetro was preceded by a very stressful day. From morning through early afternoon, were still packing, cleaning, and donating belongings, and carpet cleaners and others arrived at our house at the same time. We really should have spent the night in Omaha and left the following day, but we had already made arrangements to stay at Hotel Vetro in Iowa City that night, so we kept our plans. Our daughter and family live there, and we were looking forward to a short visit with them. Because of the stress of the move and some other factors, my husband carefully selected hotels that would provide us with comfort. This one did…after a while
It was 8pm by the time we arrived in Iowa City, and we couldn’t find where we were supposed to park. We decided on a parking garage nearby, and walked to the hotel with our luggage and some other valuables that we didn’t want to leave in the car. We had two cars, and there was a parking charge for both.

Our room was very nice except for one thing: on this extremely hot summer day, we couldn’t get the room temperature below 85 degrees! We called the desk and a service technician was sent to the room to assist, unsuccessfully. The desk clerk offered to send up complementary drinks, which arrived shortly…along with a bar bill, which was later waived after I explained the situation . Eventually we were moved to a different room.

The room was very nice, with a large tub, a large outside balcony with a panoramic view of the city, and a comfortable bed. A kitchenette provided full-size appliances, as I recall. Missing from the room was a bar of soap at the bathroom sink. The shower had a dispenser for shower gel and shampoo, but there were no typical toiletry products. This meant that when I took a bath, I had to ask my husband to go to the shower and dispense some shower gel and shampoo to his hands and bring it to my hands so that I could wash. Awkward!

We have stayed in several Iowa City hotels when visiting our daughter, and this was by far the nicest. Although some will find Vetro to be a hip, stylish, boutique hotel, we found it to be a bit pretentious. However, those visiting the University of Iowa or the downtown Iowa City area will find the location of this place to be ideal. Hotel Vetro would be very nice for an extended stay, a couple’s weekend, or a girlfriend get-away, but for our needs, it was an unnecessary indulgence; all we needed was a comfortable place in which to sleep and shower.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dare2BGroovy

Thank you for providing us some great comments! We are looking into ways to make the bath experience more enjoyable. We strive to be sustainable and the larger bottles do conserve plastic. I understand how that felt and we will get a solution!

We welcome you back for a girls weekend or anytime you want someone else to pamper you!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

went to visit my daughter in iowa city. since she is currently living with four other females i thought it best to look into a room. hotel vetro was a good choice. rooms are clean and there is a kitchen area which made it nice so we did not have to eat out all the time. beds are super comfy as well. the only thing that i found rather scary ( being the klutz i am ) is the sliding door going into the bathroom from the bedroom/lounging area. slid much to fast and i caught my fingers plenty. (like i mentioned i am a klutz so am sure others my not encounter the same issue). good dt location, grocery store attached and lots of local eateries. make sure you go to 126 for lunch or dinner if you have the opportunity.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family