“Average meal...needed seasoning!”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Clinton
Description: Givanni's is located in the heart of the Iowa City pedestrian mall. Just minutes from the historic University of Iowa. We specialized in fresh home made pasta and local italian favorites.
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Service/dessert was good, but the bread/main courses were average. The fish special was nicely prepared, but all of the pasta dishes at our table (pasta caprese, steak tips, chicken parm) were under-seasoned, and everyone was passing the salt/pepper. Not sure if was an off night for the cooks, but overall an average quality meal which isn't cheap!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went with 4 other couples for grown up night out. The waiter was great, the atmosphere was fun. But the food was disappointing. My husband has the fish special which he liked, but I got the beef tips-it needed lots of salt-which I never use. Two others at the table had the same problem. Totally disappointing as its local and I wanted to love our experience, we've been before and it was awesome. Will try again....but beware.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Service good,food average! Steak was good,pasta looked sloppy and was cold.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

It was my buddies birthday so we went to Iowa city to wander for the day. We ended up comparing several options for dinner, but decided on this place. The atmosphere is nice, music is appropriate, and the location is in the ped-mall. We started with the Electric Goat, an appetizer that featured goat cheese. It was nice. Not overly cheesy, and full of flavor. We also had the Crostini. This is like a bruchetta but with a container of baked tomato stuff. It was awesome! I had the Veggie Tower which was exactly how it came. A tower of assorted veggies on a bed of smashed potatoes. It was surprisingly filling and delicious. My friend had the Spinach Ravioli which he said was bland but ok. We shared a creme brulee and the Oatmeal Pie. Have the pie with ice cream. It's delicious. The drinks I ordered were well made, and the wine was a good pour.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We've been going there for many years, like the food and atmosphere very much.