“Cleanand QUIET”

Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My family was very pleased with the hotel. The décor was modern and everything was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. We did not use the pool, but wanted to after seeing how nice everything was. The complimentary breakfast was stocked with hot food and went from 6am to 10an, nice for late risers. And best of all, it was QUIET!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 16, 2013

New hotel about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the center of campus. Very clean. Snowed the night we were there and someone from the hotel came out in the morning and cleaned the snow off of everyone's cars. Nice touch. Breakfast is the standard fare of yogurt, waffles, bagels and cereal.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Quiet, beautiful room, unusually large bathroom. Everything was clean, updated and in virtually perfect condition. I liked the fact that duvee covers are freshly cleaned for each stay. The bathroom had a slight musty smell but not a big deal. Breakfast was included and more than good enough for what it's supposed to be--a quick bite to get going.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Very nice hotel and accommodations. Extremely Comfortable beds. Clean and quiet rooms. Great Breakfast. Nice size pool. Easy and short drive from the University of Iowa. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The staff checking me in did not know what he was doing. He asked to swipe my card 3 times upon arrival at 3PM. After I thought I paid a certain amount and asked for a receipt (just to make sure I wasn't charged 3 times) he told me he couldn't get the printer to work and did not have paper so he would bring it up to my room and slide it under the door. Later that night at 9PM (still did not have a receipt at this point) he found me again and told me my I still did not pay. I checked my credit card and I was charged MORE than what was initially told and he was still asking me to pay! I informed him of this and told him I did not get a receipt and was not paying because I already paid more than I had authorized to be charged to my credit card. He called me back at 10PM (Note: I also had to be awake by 5AM) to tell me the extra charges was a hotel holding fee (I was never informed of initially) and the charges did go through. I asked him not to bother me anymore that night and I would speak with the manager in the morning. Next day. I spoke with the manager and he was completely rude and did not appear to be hearing my concerns or taking them seriously. He simply nodded and said thank you for your stay. It was to worst customer service I have ever experienced at a Hampton Inn. I will NOT be recommending this hotel simply because the staff is rude and poorly trained.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nisha M
Ginger S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Nisha M;
First of all, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback of your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We always try to do whatever we can to make sure that our guests feel cared for, valued, and respected, and I apologize that we fell short of our standards. I have shared your review with my staff and additional training regarding the credit card processing and ensuring that the card number is captured before returning the card has since occurred. Thank you again for your comments as they will help us to better our property for the future.

Best regards,

Ginger S

Reviewed November 21, 2013

The accommodations are acceptable, but the attitude of the staff needs work. We have stayed multiple times at this hotel in the past and had not had a problem before. When we arrived following a 5 hour drive, we were told to come back at 3:00 which is their check in time. No attempt was made to see if our room was ready or not. When we did check in, our commode was stained and full of "floaties". On the day of check out, we requested a late check out at 3:00 and even offered to pay for an additional half day. As a Hilton Honors member who stays frequently at this particular hotel, I thought they would make some effort to accommodate our needs. There was no accommodation. It was as though they could not wait to get rid of us. The girl at the front desk, Stephanie, was very quick to dismiss every request and seemed to have a poor attitude. This just was not the stay that I had expected. I also found out I was charged at least 10 dollars per night more than the other members in my group. I also overheard negative comments coming from Stephanie and directed at the various groups staying at the hotel that same weekend. Just not a great experience this time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank swmmom2013

Swmmom2013;
We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of our front desk department and have been addressed. While the lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our hotel, there is no excuse for it. We are sorry for the inconvenience and annoyance this incident caused.
While we do try our best to provide early check ins, we also have the need to inspect our rooms upon completion to ensure they are up to our cleanliness standards. I apologize that we were unable to accomodate you with an early check in this time but hope that we may be able to the next time.
You may contact me directly for any additional assistance regarding this matter.

Ginger

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I recently stayed one night at Hampton Inn Iowa City while on a college visit with my daughter. Our beds and pillows were very comfortable. The room and lobby décor was modern and appeared to be new. The desk manager was friendly and the check in process was quick. The included breakfast was the best that I've had at any hotel. They even serve hot oatmeal in a crockpot with toppings and to-go containers for guests on the go! I would highly recommend this hotel, it's a great value!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Travelodge Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
#4 of 7 in Iowa City
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#6 of 7 in Iowa City

Been to Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area? Share your experiences!