“I wanted to like it but they just wouldn't let me.”
Review of Wildwood Smokehouse and Saloon - CLOSED

Wildwood Smokehouse and Saloon
Cuisines: Barbecue
“I wanted to like it but they just wouldn't let me.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Went for a casual evening of drinks, food, and maybe some dancing. (Make sure you check their schedule as some times the dance floor is setup for mechanical bull)

Dress attire is a mix of casual to casual country. Food is average. Better than bar food but average for restaurant expectations. Cornbread was better than most. Band was decent. However, that's where the good stuff ends.

Service was atrociously slow. We were at a table of 10 so the gratuity was added on automatically which was just awesome. If you want water after your meal, they'll expect you to pay. So even though we had plenty of people there drinking (after we ALL ate food), they still wanted to charge our designated drivers for water - yes, the same water that was free while we were eating.

The dance floor is for professionals only. This was made clear to different people in our party on more than one occasion. This is not an exhaduration people. If you don't know the steps, stay out of the way (ie- on the sidelines). "Bushwood" is more accommodating to their caddies than Wildwood is to random dancing or even people that try to join and learn the two-step.

1 Thank Ccjones1

Iowa City, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Honest”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Overall pretty good food but had to wait a long time to get our order in and to get our check. It was nice seeing the line dancing and the band was great. One thing I did not agree with was the rudeness of some of the dancers. When some of us wanted to go dancing we were told to get off the floor because we were not dancing to their specifications. A more appropriate way of handling this would have been to provide proper instruction on how to line dance. This provides a more inclusive experience.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Dharmaandtruth
Kalona, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“nice birthday”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

After spending over 56 dollars in food and drinks at the Wildwood they had the nerve to want to charge my wife for a glass of water after asking to speak to a manager the manager blew us off and sent the poor waitress to say sorry call on Monday well I know that most of the dancers dont pay for drinks because they just drink water.........well they just ran off a table that was spending money in their club....not any more...first time here and I can say the last time

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank CraigMorrison
Tipton, Iowa
“Great place for line dancing and cornbread”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I do have to say that their cornbread is the best i have ever had from a restaurant...the have a famtastic saloon scene. Great for a country hoedown. They cater and you can also rent their mechanical bull for a reasonable price for your own party. They usually have a band on friday and saturday nights.

• Visited November 2012
illinois
“Interesting Place”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We were in the mood for BBQ, and our daughter had heard of Wildwood Smokehouse and wanted to try it. I'd have to say that the atmosphere was definitely a country/cowboy kind of hang-out. We're not country music fans, but did enjoy watching others line dance. It was quite obvious that this was a regular hang-out for many of the dancers. As for the food, I found it to be just average quality. There are definitely other places in Iowa City that have a better selection and better quality of food. But, I will commend Wildwood on the portion sizes. There was plenty to eat & take home as well.

• Visited November 2012