“Honestly, this place is awful!”

Alexis Park Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Honestly, this place is awful!”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I was so angry with myself for not researching better. My daughter and I had planned to go for the weekend to see the University of Iowa and thought we would make a weekend of it. I booked a room here for two nights at $470. (granted the prices were higher because there was a big football game going on) but really, $470? Truly, it is disgusting. The carpet in our room was sticky, there were so many flies in there and when we turned the faucet on the water came out brown.
I can not believe "guests" wrote these positive reviews, I can not imagine for a moment that we are speaking of the same place, there is just no way. Even if your standards are lower than mine may be, there is NOTHING at all close to luxurious here, it is far fetched to say the in least.
I have NO reason to lie, I have never ever written a poor review before- for anyone...it's not my style. We stayed the first night only because it was late and we could not find anywhere else. we checked out the next morning. They would not credit me, I was charged full price, I just thought I needed to write this and hopefully you will take my advise and stay clear of Alexis Park Inns. :(

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank nickigirl
alexis2009, Manager at Alexis Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Guest threatened she works for Chicago Tribune, I sure hope she is not a journalist. Here is the true story in her case, swear to god: Guest book a premium price football weekend with a 2-NIGHT minimum. Guest understood and agreed to 2-night minimum and can't cancel within the cancellation policy or will be charged both nights. Guest called on arrival date wanted to cancel on reason that her daughter is getting stitches in emergency room. I requested a doctor's note to be faxed to me. Guest said she can't do that. So I offered to either if I can rerent the room for both nights then guest won't be charged at all or Guest will be charged just for 1 night instead of 2 nights if guest decides to cancel. Guest decided if I can't rent it out by 4pm then Guest will come. Unfortunately we didn't get it booked by 4pm so Guest checked in later that night. In the morning of the next day, Guest made no complaint at all about anything. Guest said she is meeting up with friends later but thinking to go home the 2nd night so wanted us to try again to rerent her room by 4pm or she'll come back to stay. Her room didn't get rented but Guest decided to go home the 2nd night at no fault of ours but her choice.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Oak Park
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Do not check in late! Sign says staff on site - but I had to wait 25 minutes for someone to show up. He was beligerant and told me "don't be like that" when I was upset that I had to wait so long. Took him a long time to check me in, the whole time lecturing me on what was wrong with me. Every now and then he would just stop what he was doing and stare at me with a mean look. Shortly after I got to my room and put the locks on he was knocking at the door telling me to open it - he needed me to sign something. I told him to go away or I would call the police. He left and so did I. I stayed that night at another hotel. Alexis Park offered only a 15% refund and then said they wouldn't even give that because it did not make me happy. I've stayed at Alexis before, but never again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Uiowaparent
alexis2009, Manager at Alexis Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Our on-call night person works for road paving company and due to car trouble happened to be late the night guest checked in. In normal circumstances, our on-call night would stay up and wait till 4am in the morning for the last guest to check in. This guest was furious and screaming at the night person at his arrival from his ride. Guest stated untrue response from the night person on her reviews. There has never been a single complaint on any of our staff's behaviors since we took over a few months ago. This guest even made a complaint to me that our night person had to ask for her name twice to find her reservation. Guest said she agreed to the discount and would be happy. And we refunded her as promised.
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I loved my stay at the Alexis Park Inn.. The staf was awesome, anything i needed was there before i even asked, my room was cleaned and beddings where changed everyday, i was here for 3 weeks and i cannot give out 1 complaint...everything i have to say is COMPLAMENTS!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I am on my 5th atempt to walk across America for Cancer research in memory of my Dad. The Alexis Park Inn were not only accomodating, but made me feel at home and did everything in their power to make sure my stay here went smoothly. Great rooms, clean, kitchenette, laundry facilities, a balcony, internet access, and within walking distance to everything you'd need. They've made Iowa City very memorable for me!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The service here is really great, and the staff is very kind and hospitable. The room is spatious and clean. I like it very much.

Room Tip: ask for a discount
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Littleton, Co
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed here years ago and assumed it was alright to stay without reading reviews. What a mistake. Do not stay here the room smelled and was filthy, The owners smiled and were clueless. We would have left but were exhausted by the drive. The parking lot is empty on a weekend. Tiles falling off wall in tub area. This place will not make it. Wait for new owners. Am checking for bedbugs I fear what I will find.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mosskl
Guest traveled with a big dog and was in a pet room. Guest did not make a single complaint during her 2 nights stay at the Alexis.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 7, 2010

This place is gross! The first night we were there we checked the mattresses for bed bugs only to find PEE all over the mattresses and box springs. The floors hadn't been vacuumed in forever. There was used Kleenex under one of the beds. The heat did not work properly and they would not fix it. I would NEVER stay here again. The neighborhood felt very unsafe and I feel that we should have gotten new beds and money taken off our bill. Very disappointed in the service. All of the appliances are very old and barley work. There was only one small t.v. that was as old as me. I felt like I was in a horror movie.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jjones99
We took over the Alexis just a few months ago and we have put in all brand-new pillowtop beds, flat screen TVs, black leather couch and other furniture. We have spent a tremendous amount of money in upgrading but our prices stay the same. Consider the location to be the next closest one to downtown and University of Iowa, our prices are so much cheaper and our suites are twice as big comparing to the 2 hotels in downtown.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
#5 of 7 in Iowa City
Heartland Inn - Coralville
Heartland Inn - Coralville
#15 of 21 in Coralville

Been to Alexis Park Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!