“I come back to Iowa City to see friends...and eat at La Michoacana”
Review of La Regia Taqueria

La Regia Taqueria
Ranked #21 of 251 Restaurants in Iowa City
Cuisines: Mexican
Lehi, Utah
“I come back to Iowa City to see friends...and eat at La Michoacana”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It's simply the best restaurant in town, especially for the price. Load up on tacos and forget about all other cares in the world. I haven't strayed too far from the tacos because of the variety and sheer deliciousness, but the other food is good too.

A word to the wise: sample the (delicious) sauces before putting too much on your food. I'm a pretty light-weight when it comes to heat, but the hottest sauce really is a scorcher.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank WA509

Minnesota
“Can't stop thinking about it!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Had take-out from La Michoacana for the first time...and I can't stop thinking about how good it was!

This is definitely a no frills restaurant, but it is CLEAN and friendly, and the pork tacos are better than any I have ever had. The sauces are delish, the guac is creamy, the menu is extensive, the tejano music playing will make you happy, ....it all makes me want to visit Iowa City! AND it's ridiculously inexpensive!!!

If you REMOTELY enjoy Mexican food, give this a try. It'll make you a believer!!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank karph
North Liberty, Iowa
“Eat here”
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Just do it. Order more than you think is reasonable... You will be happier for it. Professors, doctors, students, hippies... Everyone leaves happy!

1 Thank Iowatraveller03
Andalusia, Illinois
“4 different sauces were great on our entrees...”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I gave them a 5 because going into this I was going to rate and review. They performed great on a day that I was paying attention to all details. Parking good, location good, food good, price good, service good. We especially enjoyed the 4 kinds of sauces, they were all good. Cons: My only mild complaint was there was to much breading on the shrimp in my shrimp taco. Pros: The gall behind the counter taking the order said she made fresh tamales, which I am sure were great. She went the extra step to offer something different or extra. I will go back! Bottled pop was a plus also.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank RobHarley
Amana, Iowa, United States
“Great food fast food setting”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This restaurant started out as a taco truck. It's appeal for me comes from the fact they serve unique authentic meats in their meals such as tongue and beef cheek. These have always been delicious ans worth going in for. I never order the 'regular' types of filler such as chicken so cannot speak to that.

The atmosphere is NOT an evening dinner atmosphere at all. It is purely fast food and get in and out atmosphere. I have gone for lunch with work friends and we don't even feel comfortable sitting and chatting about work, too much noise and hustle and bustle. This is not fine dining but it does offer unique menu items that are very flavorful-step out of your comfort zone and try a tongue taco-it will amaze you!

• Visited June 2013