“Fusion tea and sandwiches”
Review of Leaf Kitchen

Leaf Kitchen
Ranked #26 of 263 Restaurants in Iowa City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Nicer teas, British cream scones, Asian salads and Midwestern sandwiches. Simple dining room. Not fancy, but comfortable with local customers. Not generally open for dinner, just 8 am to 4 or so. They also have breakfast, but I haven't tried it yet. I liked the Asian slaw salad

1  Thank Kevin_from_Boston

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been going to Leaf since it opened (support local businesses!), and each time I go, it is a little less than it was. This morning my husband and I got there early--just a few tables busy. We waited 15 minutes for the waitress to bring us a menu. By that time, more families had walked in, and we were anxious to order. When she came back to bring us water, we asked if we could order. I ordered coffee and a ham and asiago cheese omelet, my husband ordered coffee and eggs benedict. We waited for our order, but no coffee came out in the meantime. Our waitress didn't come by or near us so that I could remind her of the coffee. When our breakfast finally came out (no coffee yet), I was struck by the blandness of the presentation. A yellow omelet, pale fried potatoes and wheat bread. No color, no variation. Worse, the omelet had little ham or asiago. It was mostly egg. The potatoes, which used to come with olives and onions had one measly olive slice and no onion. It was boring and tasteless. What a disappointment. When the coffee came, I was happy to get it, as I really do like their coffee---not this morning! It was so bitter and too strong (and I really like strong coffee). My husband showed me his eggs Benedict. There was such a small piece of ham on each muffin that I laughed. Then I noticed the hair in the sauce. That was it. Is this meal a sign that the restaurant is having trouble and can't afford to put the right amount of ingredients in their orders, or is this just an inconsistent kitchen? I want to like this place, and I have tried to support it (local, local, local), but this is the last time we will be visiting Leaf.

1  Thank weirich5
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were provided excellent service and very good fresh food. Wait staff was very attentive to our needs.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to the Leaf Kitchen, for breakfast, for the better part of a year. The wait staff have always been on top of their game knowing the food and their customer relationship management. The food is ALWAYS fresh. I recommend the pancakes with fresh berries. These aren't your moms pancakes for sure. Happy eating :)

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Leaf Kitchen has a friendly atmosphere and nice choices on the breakfast menu. My favorite is the tomato feta omelet. Give it a try!