“Cordial, comfortable, convenient”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
FAIRFIELD
“Cordial, comfortable, convenient”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed here the night before I had cataract surgery at the nearby Iowa City Ambulatory Surgical Center. We were very pleasantly surprised after reading some lukewarm Tripadvisor reviews. The lobby is attractive, and the desk staff are very friendly and helpful. We were able to extend our check-out time by an hour so that I could come back and rest after my procedure. Our room was large and very comfortable, and there was no hint of smoke in our non-smoking room nor in the hallway. We ate in the hotel's small restaurant ("Against the Grain") because it was raining outside, and found the food tasty but a bit on the skimpy size portion-wise, with only one waitress who was more accustomed to serving as bartender (one of the pleasant front desk men finally came back to help her), but I gather they are better staffed on the weekends. This facility is older but seems well taken care of, and has a large amount of parking because it is a conference center. The heating/cooling system has a constant fan setting so that you are not bothered by any highway noise. The interior insulation seemed pretty solid, as we were not bothered by neighbors' sounds. We are booked in again soon for my second surgery and very much look forward to it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PATRICIA F
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Firstly, Congratulations on posting 50 reviews on tripadvisor. A 4 star review from you means a lot. Thank you!

We are so glad to read your feedback regarding your experience at the Clarion Highlander Hotel. We are happy to know that you found your non smoking room to be comfortable, quiet and peaceful. We understand that rest it is very important when you are coming for a medical appointment. We are glad to know you liked our newly remodeled restaurant, Against the grain. We are in the process of developing our next seasonal menu update. We will be sure to keep in mind your feedback regarding portion sizes.

We are looking forward to hosting you again during your next trip to iowa city!

Thanks you,

Parth Dholakia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I attended the wedding, and it was perfect place to celebrate an auspicious occasion. Staff was just really efficient. I would definitely recommend this hotel anyone around this area. Nice shuttle service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Pratik A,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.. We were delighted to hear from you.

Behalf of the Clarion Highlander Hotel, I thank you. Our staff are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the service you received and enjoyed attending a wedding at our hotel.

We look forward to having you visit us again.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed one night with a friend and it was a great experience! I would highly recommend anyone stay here - the staff is very friendly, the location is perfect, and the quality is outstanding. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Krishna A.

We really appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of the all the staff at the Clarion Highlander Hotel, Thank you!

We were delighted to have you stay at our hotel, and glad to know that you and your friend enjoyed your experience. We are eager to host you again during your next trip to Iowa City.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had two nonsmoking rooms, they both reeked of smoke (poorly masked by deodorizers).

The internet was so slow, I could complete a speed test.

The hotel needs to be updated. Surprised Clarion lends it's name to it.

Restaurant not great.

• Stayed July 2014
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience at the our Hotel.

We are working on making improvements to our hotel. We aim to give an excellent experience to to every guest.

On your next trip to Iowa city, please reach out to me directly, and i will personally arrange your accommodation, and ensure you have a superior experience. My email address is pdholakia@globalvisionhotels.com

Parth
San Diego
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in may. I left a library book in the room and then called the next day. I believe that I spoke to the front desk manager who had the book. I told him that I would be by a few days later to pick it up. When I returned to the hotel a few days later after driving late at night and out of my way to return, they did not have the book. I left my contact number and never received a call. I realize that a library book is not a big deal but it makes me wonder what would happen if a customer actually lost something valuable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
I am so sorry to hear about your lost book. We have a lost and found log where we record all lost and found items. Once guests claim the Item, we offer the option to ship to the guest or have it available for pick up.

Please contact me at pdholakia@globalvisionhotels regarding your book. I will work with my Front Desk manager to investigate your lost item.

Burlington, Iowa
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was a wonderful stay for 5. The rooms are extremely roomy. Our room overlooked the pool area. Nice to have a small patio area to sit on and watch the kids swim. The pool area was very large with plenty of area around it to walk and socialize (didn't get overly loud). The staff was very nice and accomodating. Great place to stay when staying with a large group.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback. we were delighted to host you. You are absolutely right. Our poolside rooms are very popular for large families and groups. It makes for a great social atmosphere.

We would be delighted to host you again.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Thank you! Very nice facilities and friendly staff. Pool was clean though I didn't have time to jump in, but my friend's kid loved it and I was glad to have a room with a balcony to watch her. Thank you again.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We were delighted to have you stay with us. It gives us pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay.

We would love to host you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#5 of 7 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing

Been to Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!