“Don't judge from the outside”

Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
St. Thomas, Ontario
“Don't judge from the outside”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our way through Iowa. We found the hotel through the hotel coupon booklet at the Iowa Welcome centre. As soon as we told the front desk we had the coupon, he told us the price on the coupon right away (about $20 less than their regular price).
From the outside, the hotel looks like a conference centre which it is, but not a welcoming looking hotel. But once inside, it's a different story. Very impressive.
We were given a first floor room off the pool with a table and chairs just outside our door, which we absolutely loved. We took advantage of the pool and tub spa and then sat at our table to have a couple of drinks. Very relaxing. At first, we had the pool to ourselves but then a few families showed up with screaming kids so we worried a little about the noise when we were ready for bed. But, by 11pm, all was quiet and we slept well.
The room was a little worn but very clean which is more important to us. We had a king bed which was extremely comfortable. Free wifi and a great breakfast that was included.
This hotel was a great find for us and another one we would have passed by if not for the hotel coupon booklet.
Would definitely stay there again. In fact, we didn't really want to leave, we wished we could have spent a couple more nights there.

• Stayed September 2013
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our hotel. We are so glad to read your review of our hotel.

We are glad you were able to get a great rate with the coupon book. We always try to provide a great value to our guests. All of our staff are very happy to hear about your pleasant experience as they work hard to make sure every guest feels the same way as you.

We look forward to giving you another excellent experience on your next trip to Iowa City.

Parth Dholakia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, it could use a remodel, but it was comfortable, clean, friendly, breakfast was good. I would not stay here for the regular price they were charging, but because my folks stay here in the summer when they visit Iowa they give them a deal and it was the right price for an average hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am happy to know that you had a comfortable, friendly experience at our hotel.

We are continuing to make improvements to our hotel. This year, we are renovating our restaurant. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in Iowa City.

Parth
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Cordial welcome and check out.
Appears worn and furniture outdated.
Rooms are not sound proof. Not hotel's fault, but loud children and adults woke us up up at 2 am.
Good continental breakfast included. Good value for price charged.Very large pool and hot tub.
Would stay again if price low, eg Priceline.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time aside to review out hotel. Firstly, i would like to apologize for being disturbed in the middle of the night from noise by others. We want all our guests to have a good night rest when they stay at the Clarion Highlander Hotel.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed our breakfast. We pride ourselves in providing good value to our guests. Especially for those who are on trips. We look forward to having the chance to provide you with an excellent stay in the future.

Morgan. MN
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I pulled off the highway too tired to drive any further and I am glad that I found this Clarion hotel. Great front desk service. I was able to get a great rate, too, as the hotel was not booked midweek. Lucky me, I just happened to land there on a night that a wine tasting was going on in the lobby. Nice touch. Manager Jeffery Hickman met me with a great smile upon check out, too. As I told him, I look for two main things. I don't need the fanciest hotel, but I want great customer service and a very clean room. You will get both here.

Room Tip: The pool is open until 11 p.m., so choose a room that is not poolside if you have to get up early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Clarion Highlander.

All of our staff appreciate your feedback. It is good to hear that you enjoyed the wine tasting also. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My son and I got a room here at a good price (Priceline.com) for an overnight stay on a long roadtrip. We were just looking for a quiet, clean and comfortable place to sleep, eat a decent breakfast, and be on our way again, and we found exactly what we were looking for. As others pointed out, the hotel seems a bit outdated and drab, particularly on the outside, and we actually had a difficult time finding it, though it was right off the highway exit. The sign from the access road was small and almost covered by weeded growth and we missed it twice...maybe blame that on travel fatigue?
The room itself was comfortable and appeared to be clean. We didn't take advantage of any of the amenities except for the hot breakfast, which was pretty substantial (besides the usual cereals, yogurts and breads, there were eggs, bacon, waffles, biscuits and gravy). The parking lot had a number of motorcycles parked and I was concerned it would be noisy since our room was right next to the parking lot, but I was surprisingly pleased at the level of quiet.
We didn't use the pool but took a peek and it was quite large.
If I am ever crazy enough to drive cross-country again in 5 days, I wouldn't hesitate to make another overnight at the Clarion in Iowa City!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy that you stayed at our hotel during your cross country trip.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our extended hot breakfast, and were able to get a good night rest before the rest of your journey.

We would love to have you stay for a longer period of time on your next trip so you can enjoy some of our other amenities. We look forward to it.
Fort Madison, Iowa
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our son and daughter-in-law chose this hotel to block rooms for their wedding. My husband and I 'shopped' around the area for a spot to host the rehearsal dinner. We chose the Clarion for the competitive pricing and wonderful facility. Mindy (reception coordinator) worked with me as if she had nothing else to do! Living out of town had us sending emails daily. If she grew weary of my constant questions, she never let me know! By the end of our 4 day stay at the hotel, I felt like I was saying good-bye to family! Jeffery, Kurt, and Luis at the front desk greeted all of us with a smile each day! The housekeeping staff always had a friendly smile, the rehearsal dinner was amazing! Everyone at this hotel went above and beyond to help make this a stress free, memorable weekend for us! I think we had 28 rooms blocked, so I know we had to be a handful! I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
On behalf of all the staff and management team, i would like to thank you for your compliments and review of your hotel experience.

It gives us pleasure and motivation to hear about your experience. We enjoyed having you and your family members stay at our hotel this past weekend.

Congratulations for a successful wedding. Your hard work made it a success.

Best Wishes,

Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had read a couple of reviews so I was prepared for my stay. The room was clean except for the drapes. They were a bit shabby (during the daytime you could see the holes in them) with a few cobwebs. The sheets and towels were very white and clean. The bathroom was large with a nice amount of counter space, though the location for toilet handle was awkward. The bed was fine, though not a pillow top, so not as comfortable as I like. The pool area was very welcoming. We had a courtyard room and the view out the window was depressing. The grass was dead the small birdbath empty, not very welcoming. The location was close to everything so that was nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Parth D, General Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not excellent. We work hard to give our guests a clean, comfortable experience when guests visit our hotel.

We will be using your feedback to make sure that we make improvements continuously to our property, and ensure that all guests have an enjoyable stay during their trip to Iowa City.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing

Been to Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!