“go to the next exit”

Travelodge Iowa City
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed December 6, 2006

It took us 3 rooms to get one that didn't have mold all over the shower/tub. When I went to get toast for my kids at the breakfast, the bread was molded. There were several things missing in the final room that were supposed to be there(remote, iron, fridge, microwave). Beds were dipped in the middle, sheets thin, spreads warn.

The staff was nice, check in was easy, pool is small but perfect for the kids, parking is good.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank family_fun_travler

Reviewed November 22, 2006

We arrived at the hotel after a LONG drive. We gathered our bags and kids and headed into the lobby. After we were given our room key, we were told we would have to get back in our car and drive around to the back of the hotel - so we gathered our children and multiple bags and got back in our car and drove around. I was surprise that the doors to the rooms were on the outside and inside. I'd rather stay somewhere with an indoor entrance only for safety reasons. Well, forgot safety because when we got to the door that leads into the hallway - there was no need to use the card - because it was broken and opened right up! The door was grimey and had visible dirt from probably months of never being wiped down. We walked to our non-smoking room and opened the door. The stench of smoke knocked us in the face as we cracked the door open. I mean, it was truly horrible! It was like the room had been a smoking room since, well - I don't know, up to last night? The interior of the room was also horrible. The beds were extremely small. There was no way the 4 of us were going to fit on those small beds. Besides that, I was afraid to even sit on the bed b/c the bedding seemed to be at least 20 years old - and I'm not kidding. The bedding and carpet seemed to have a coat of grime on top. We called the front lobby to ask for another room and were told that they had nothing else. They were totally full. I find that hard to believe b/c first of all, the parking lot was almost empty and second of all, we arrived when it was dark and all the rooms were also dark. I'd expect that I'd see some sign of life if the hotel was really full. So needless to say, we didn't get to try their free breakfast b/c we left. When I turned in the key, I was told that they somehow magically found us a new room. No thank you.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mypbandj
Reviewed August 17, 2006

This hotel was disappointing enough that I'm sitting down to write and warn others. First of all, here were the good things: Friendly staff, balcony (room with king size bed), ease of access from highway. That's about it for the good part. Here's the rest: I was not favorably impressed to see weeds and ill-tended landscaping as we drove up. Although the lobby looked nice enough, when going to our room I noticed door frames needing paint and finger prints all over the glass on the doors. Carpeting had not been vacuumed either. The hallways had an unpleasant smell as well. On entering the room, another stale smell greeted us, so unpleasant that we requested a different room. The counter in the bathroom (first room) was some kind of fake brown paneling material which must have been from the 1950s and the drains were stained with rust. The smell in the next room was tolerable, and it helped to be able to open both the window and the balcony door. However, the bathroom in the second room had a pervasive sour smell (no functioning fan). The bathtub was stained with dirt and the fixtures were old and dull. The bathtub floor was not firmly affixed to the bathtub itselt (some kind of liner?) and would buckle as you moved around in the shower. I had to focus hard to keep my balance. The room was supposed to have wireless access. There was only one spot in the room were I could get a "very low" signal (one strength indicator out of a possible five), and I was repeatedly kicked off. If I went into the hallway and walked to the end, I could get 2 signal strength indicators.

The breakfast was disappointing as well. The coffee was horribly weak and for some reason, had a grayish cast to it. The bananas were almost all brown, and the doughnuts were the cheap, generic store type.

As a point of reference, I typically stay at Extended Stay, Homestead, Red Roof Inn, or the Fairfield Inn. On a fastidiousness scale of 1-10, I'd rank myself at 7 or 8. For my part, this was a sad, smelly, hotel.

3  Thank Callie57
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Room seemed to be new in every respect. The staff was very helpful about directions. We would stay here again.
Kalamazoo, Mi

• Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed March 18, 2006

Moving from Room 123 (old, bad smells, not clean, frayed lampshade, crying baby next door, paper thin walls, made me feel 'yucky') to Room 214 (clean, new carpet, new shower curtain/towels, no adjoining room door, new wallpaper, no noise) made all the difference at this Travelodge. I would have written a terrible review if the baby next door hadn't forced me to move.

Good breakfast offerings, and a high speed internet in the lobby that no one seemed to be using. If you come here, be sure to ask for the most recently updated room.

Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank LLKlein
Reviewed December 27, 2005

Excellent location, Very friendly staff. They helped me with my extra bags. Free high speed internet computer in lobby. Wi fi in rooms. We were early for arrival but they accomodated us immediately. Pool/ spa area was clean. Room was very clean well-decorated and spacious. Next door restaurant food was superb.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank udvit
Reviewed December 18, 2005

This is an okay motel with decent rooms but one big negative: paper thin walls.

The location gives you easy access to I-80. However the motel is way out on the northeast corner of Iowa City. That means if you have any business involving making a trip to downtown Iowa City or the University campus it’s good 8 to 10 minute drive there.

The lobby is nice and the staff was friendly. They have a computer with high-speed internet for guest use. (I think there also might be Wi-Fi since I saw a few routers in the hallways.)

It’s a two-story motel with indoor corridors. Some second floor rooms have a balcony. I did not notice an elevator anywhere.

Rooms are decorated in the usual late 80’s motif with forest green and pink as accent colors.

TVs have with over 80 channels of cable in case you’re stuck in your room.

Bathrooms are clean and the shower heads are good height with decent water pressure.

Walls are paper thin. We could hear everything the neighbors said and did. Every phone ring, discussion, baby crying, sneeze etc. could be heard. With no effort I could tell what TV shows they were watching. I’m sure they also heard and said everything we did.

If you’re traveling on I-80 and you need a cheap place to stay for a night and could sleep through any noise: this motel would be a good choice. However if you’re visiting friends or family in town (or at the university): go elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2005
#15 of 21 in Coralville
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#7 of 7 in Iowa City

Been to Travelodge Iowa City? Share your experiences!