“DO NOT STAY HERE! ZERO STARS!!!”

Travelodge Iowa City
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Filthy, under-managed, maintenance issues, smelly rooms, deadbolts falling off the doors, sinks falling off the wall, carpets wet, pool cloudy and gross, vending machine out of order with bulging soda cans so old they have Santa on them, website says it was renovated in 2011. No possible way! The mattresses were awful! The first room we had, there were two cot mattresses on top of each other. We had to switch rooms due to the carpet next to the bathroom being soaked upon entering the room. That room also was gross. They said that was the only other available room even though there were 5 cars in the parking lot and the hotel has two floors???? I felt completely unsafe at this hotel! The rooms have two doors...one to the hallway and one to the outdoors. The door going outside did not lock properly. I asked at the front desk for a refund so I could go someplace else and was denied. Seriously considering contacting the BBB for false advertising on their website!! This is a scary, filthy excuse for a hotel! We didn't stay for the free breakfast in fear of contracting an illness after viewing the hotel fridge!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Pam S
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Iowa City

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I really didn't expect much going in but it was worse than I could of imagined.. 1st, the toilet seat is so nasty wont use it. 2nd, their is a huge dog below us barking like a rabid dog. Its 10:20pm and the front desk won't answer the phone. I guess call the police dept.. 3rd, chair in corner has broken leg, not safe to sit on. The whole room is just filthy. Travelodge should check their hotels better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank toolie702
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed in at this hotel on our way through Iowa returning from a trip to Wisconsin. It was solely needed for a bed for a few hours before getting back on the road. The room we stayed in on the first floor was rather run-down. The hair dryer and iron were missing from the room however we did not require either so I guess that was ok. Linens and towels were very outdated and in need of replacement. The light over the sink needed a bulb replaced. The shower was spacious and had great water pressure. The night clerk was very pleasant as we checked in well after 11 p.m.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed for two nights for a wedding as the rate was lower than the recommended hotels. Staff were very nice, but I really don't think they know how to manage a quality establishment. I wanted to scrub the tub clean myself, there was only one bedside lamp for a King bed, and when I asked about it, was told only one is provided. Linens and bedding looked worn and dingy, towels scratchy, but a pillow and iron/ironing board were provided quickly when I asked for them. The iron was burned, and flakes of burned black deposits came out on the clothes. The worst aspect in my opinion was the "Bear bites" continental breakfast, which should be called "bare bites". A home style waffle maker didn't cook properly, no one cleaned the area or replenished the food, so the area was dirty with nothing left at 8:15. People kept walking in, took a look at the empty food bins and jelly covered counter,and walked back out. There was a little more food on the second day, so may have been an especially hungry crowd on day 1. It looks like the rooms were updated, but a spic and span feeling would have made everything much better. OK for an overnight, woth a mini refrigerator and coffee maker. There is a pool onsite, and a fitness facility next door, but the staff knew nothing about it. I imagine you can pay a day rate. Especially appreciated early check in and help carrying luggage upstairs.

Room Tip: No elevator, so be prepared to carry luggage to second floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VATraveler888
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is a great pet friendly hotel. The staff was very nice. We called ahead of time because we were visiting University of Iowa and needed to check out after 3 as we needed pace to keep our dog. Their check out s at 11 but they made net to allow us to check out at 3 and staff was advised before we gt there. We needed 330 checkout. I called at noon day of checkout and it was no problem. Room was great for dog...floor was all ceramic tile

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stay for business and had stopped staying here a few years back. It wasn't clean. I thought I would try again because of convenience and ease of the attached restaurant. Very pleasing. The manager Cor was very personable and great to talk sports with. It is a pleasure to be away from home and to be comfortable. thank you

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank kellywh
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I called and spoke to an employee to ask about the less than perfect reviews. I was told it was under new management and that getting a room on first floor would be better. It is an older building with older decor but that doesn't affect my sleeping. The bathroom was mostly clean but small. The hair dryer holder has a layer of stuck-on dust as did a couple lamps. I did like the shower. I'm tall (6 foot) and did not have to bend over to get my head under the shower head. The room had a newer refrigerator (that needed defrosted) & microwave. Walls are thin as we could hear the neighbors TV that wasn't that loud. The bed was nice and comfortable and the pillow was perfect for me. The biggest turn off for me was the breakfast area. The counters with the food were a mess. No drip tray under the waffle maker so batter was puddled on the counter, bags of bread and bagels standing open--whose dirty hands reached into these bags before I got there? A knife was sticking out of the open peanut butter jar. Who might have licked the knife and stuck it back in? While this might be how my family does it at home, I don't think this is sanitary for a hotel. Will I stay here again? For the price I paid, probably.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
Super 8 Iowa City/Coralville
Super 8 Iowa City/Coralville
#15 of 21 in Coralville
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center

Been to Travelodge Iowa City? Share your experiences!