“Disgusting”

Travelodge Iowa City
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Looks fine in the pictures. 2nd nastiest place I have ever stayed. Nothing this gross is worth saving $50.
Bed was ok (although we checked for vermin before getting in). But even though you get into the room through an interior corridor, the room had another door to the OUTSIDE for "patio" access, i.e., a converted old motor inn. I couldn't sleep because I kept imaging a crazed killer breaking in and taking out our family.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SardineRanch

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Well we stayed in Travelodge In end of march and looks like they have just updated Bathrooms. it's nice to stayed in those updated rooms. Desk staff was good and helpfull.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2011

It was really nice, especially for a one night stay

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel 2 to 4 times per year over the last few years, since our children and grandchildren live in the area. They used to offer decent, friendly service and comfortable accomodations, but it is all disappearing. The beds are broken down. There are water stains in the walls and ceilings. The service is terrible. (Oh yeah, they will promise everything, but deliver nothing) Once, I had to move a refrigerator and microwave from another room because they "thought there was one there". The next visit, they promised, but did not deliver until I became quite upset at the clerk who stated that he "just didn't think THAT was going to happen". I have always called ahead and requested certain rooms and amenities, but the customer service is now non-existent! Good luck getting anything you ask for. We will gladly spend twice as much and get much better service across town.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Kings_on_the_Go
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We often stay in pet friendly hotels with our dog, but most hotels realize that there will be humans in the room with the dog. This room was only appropriate for the dog. Holes in the wall, curtain rods falling off the wall, stale, stale smell. Disgusting. Previous review had a response from the manager saying they replaced carpet with tile in pet rooms. Yes, they did. But that's all, and they didn't even do a quality job of that. There is still a carpet border around the bottom of the walls. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jdeuce26
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a cross-country road trip for the holidays. We stayed at this hotel on our way home, along with our dog. I can't say what the rooms that do not allow pets look like, but the rooms that do allow pets are disgusting.

There was a terrible odor, holes in the sheets and blankets, hair in the sink, and the bed broke as soon as we sat on it.

The wallpaper was peeling and the faucet in the sink did not work properly.

This is one of the worst hotels I've stayed in for a while.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desconocido
kammerer, General Manager at Travelodge Iowa City, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

I am sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns. I am very happy to inform you that we are taking the carpet out of our pet rooms and replacing it with beautiful ceramic tile. The owner has also purchased new beds and we are redoing our bathrooms, purchasing new drapes . The hotel is getting a facelift!!
I hope you try us again.
Joey Sable

Reviewed December 30, 2010

Okay, so this is a 2 star hotel so I didn't expect any luxury. However, the phone didn't work, and the taps on the shower were so hard to turn, that after awhile I gave up. My husband tried and finally was able to turn the faucet after working it for 5 minutes. The beds were not very comfortable, but I have slept in worse. The room was clean but very outdated. The chairs had nails sticking out of them and could have easily hurt someone. Will we stay here again?????.......No, thank you.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
#12 of 21 in Coralville
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#7 of 7 in Iowa City

Been to Travelodge Iowa City? Share your experiences!