“Yummy everything”
Review of Baroncini

Baroncini
Ranked #11 of 264 Restaurants in Iowa City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Chef Baroncini's philosophy of using fresh, seasonal, and local ingredients is represented in his contemporary Italian cuisine. Gianluca Baroncini graduated from the Italian national culinary institute in Verona, Italy, in 1991. He is the former Executive Chef of Terrazza Di Giulietta in Verona, Italy, executive chef of the Mauro's catering. He worked as Assistant chef at the Ristorante Il Desco, which received a two star Michelin guide prestigious award in Verona, Italy. Gianluca worked at the Tiberio's, Il Giardino, and as assistant chef du rang at the prestigious Galileo, fine dining Italian restaurant in Washington D.C..
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Spinach porcini flan, tenderloin, spinach ravioli, and chocolate hazelnut cake. Need I say more?

We had reservations, and a half hour wait at the bar, but the bartender kept us entertained talking about the wines so it was pleasant.

4  Thank photonut

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a nice, intimate restaurant, not fancy but very comfortable. The food is definitely quality, made to order Italian. For appetizers we had the carpaccio (excellent) and a special sea food salad. The seafood was very tasty--excellent, fresh mussels etc. For entrees I had the Linguine Bolognese. The pasta was fresh and the bolognese was like home made, with deep flavor, not too much cheese. My partner had a special pasta with lobster in a spicy tomato sauce--very good. They only serve Italian wines but the prices are reasonable and they have a good selection by the glass. This is the kind of restaurant we should all support!

5  Thank timoteo56
Reviewed February 19, 2013

As an airline pilot I travel all over the World. When I am home in Iowa I always choose Baroncini to go to for special occasions. The food is always fresh. The service is attentive. And the food as good as you will get in an Italian restaurant in Italy. The chef is Italian and knows his stuff. It is NOT your "run of the mill" chain Italian restaurant. There is a great wine selection and the pasta and deserts are superb. The location is downtown Iowa City. This is the best restaurant in Iowa City or Cedar Rapids.

6  Thank JerryA320
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I liked it! I couldn't believe I tried squid ink pasta, but it was magnifique. I love the bread and the drinks. Never had anything I didn't enjoy.

2  Thank Amelia K
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a reservation for New Year's Eve made well in advance. When we arrived, the manager claimed to know nothing about it. She was rude and did not try to accommodate us. It was a very unsettling experience. The owner needs to do a better job of training his staff to be courteous and helpful. We will not return.

5  Thank Michael O