“High expectations...low quality”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited 5/27 around 6:30pm while passing through Iowa City back home to Davenport. I had heard of the restaurant before and was excited to eat there. We both had french onion soup which we order at most restaurants we visit and usually love. I enjoyed the presenation and size but the broth was tasteless and disappointing. He had the cajun chicken cesaer salad which he liked but was not overly impressed. I had the butter shrimp and it was fine, the best part was the shrimp, it was not over battered and had great taste. Although the butter shrimp meal did not constite the $18.95 price tag. We were hoping to finish the meal on a high note with creme brulee only to have a sub par dessert. I could taste the overcooked egg in the custard and the surgar was over done on the top. Our server was polite and more or less attentive, I have served and bartended for a long time so I get how tough it is when you are understaffed and overworked. Shame on you Brown Bottle management. Yes it is a Monday and scheduling is tough but it is also Memorial day so schedule accordingly next time! Lastly the restaurants decor and booths are dreary and outdated. Living only 45 minutes away we would have happily gone back on one of our many trips to Iowa City but unfortunately there will be no next time.

1  Thank bwags24

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Iowa city has many options to eat. Brown Bottle is one of my favorites, they serve very well made Italian dishes. This a great spot to take the family, however it can get a little pricey.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place is way over priced for what you get. The portion sizes are ridiculously small. The food was cold. The water glasses had food encrusted on them. The food is ordinary, common, and bland at best. The customer service was insultive. When they made a mistake on the bill, it was brought to there attention. The manager offered nothing to compensate the error. Just took the money and stood there like a dumb college student devoid of business etiquette.

1  Thank Hartshor
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This place has potential but seems to be neglected. The food was very good but the service was just average and the atmosphere was really lacking.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Years ago my decision to move to Iowa City was made easier after I tasted the Garlic Chicken dish here... it was amazing.... however, the recipe has changed and the food really isn't good anymore. That, mixed with the drunken downtown crowd is sure to spoil any romantic visit. My last time here was a New Year's Eve dinner with my husband, it was interrupted by drunken obnoxious patrons - the management refused to intervene and make the experience better for everyone else that was disturbed. Although I have excellent memories here (including getting engaged), I don't think I will ever eat here again unless I hear that they have a better chef and better management.