“Top of their Game”

Chef's Table
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: I ate here last night and had a fabulous dinner. Not sure why it's not listed as they have been open for nearly a year
Iowa City, Iowa
“Top of their Game”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This french - new american Haunt is something to savor . Weekends get crowded later in evening so go early , weeknights are safe .Chef Eric and their stellar kitchen staff put out food that looks great , smells good , and tastes amazing/ delicious/inspired ! Rabbit dish was like being transported to Provence.France. All the seafood dishes are so delicate , and yet so full of flavor. Lets talk beef for a moment. their beef rib appetizer is a superb starter , and the CT Burger might be the best Burger in Iowa. Try it , you'll see. A word about portions . They arent skimpy , but are NOT large for entrees . My wife and most of my friends wives usually say portions are perfect , but some guys expect more. Bar & wait staff are intelligent professional and very helpful . Try the wine room to eat in for a very special dinner. The lounge is a nice option for those who just want some apps and Martinis , Beer or bubbly. Good place to impress a date , boss or potentail employee. Cheers

• Visited April 2012

Chicago
“Civilization in the Heartland!!!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

As you may see from my other reviews, I travel a bit. As a person who grew up in the Midwest, I was generally raised on meat and potatoes. Bless her soul, but my mother cooked for me as she knew, and as the market convinced her...lots of processed foods. But as a "traveled" adult I've grown to like fine foods that are not processed. That's where this review begins. Sorry for the diatribe. The Midwest is fraught with fried, fatty, over salted, processed, stale, overcooked, and generally bad food. Errors are made with presentation, service, atmosphere, and on and on... All this stops when you enter this culinary enclave in Iowa City.

We had a reservation for 7:30, arrived at 7:15 and were promptly greeted and seated immediately after our jackets were taken. Shortly thereafter the bartender approached for our drink orders. Moments later our drinks arrived followed by the server. She identified her favorites on the menu, which was small but varied enough to satisfy your needs for a French-inspired meal. We both had the onion soup to start. Hands down the best on planet earth. Hot, lots of onions, and perfect. Not an empty bowl of broth. My friend and I agreed that it was the best ever! He had the tuna, rare, excellent! I had the scallops, lightly browned, perfect, NOT over cooked like they are everywhere else! The veggies and accompaniments were perfect. Presentation was lovely. We both finished with the lavender creme brule despite my resistance from being FULL! But, it was a small, but appropriate, portion. Perfectly crusted, nice flavor, not over sweet. In all we had a excellent experience!

See, in the microcosm known as Iowa City, Iowa, there is civilization in the heartland!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank ExoticDave
Iowa City, Iowa
“Over priced”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Expect small portions, blend food. Expensive. No vegetarian dish (not that I'm a vegetarian, but sometimes our guests are), and what the "chef" whipped up was horrible. Not impressed.

Visited June 2011
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“Ugh...over priced and RUDE”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I spent a fortune taking my friend here. They served foie gras and when I questioned the foie gras (violent goose meat) the chef came out and scolded me. My meal was TINY and mediocre, but paid $40 for it anyway.

1 Thank alisaMeg
Davenport, Iowa
“Below expectations set by the Reviews”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Parking was difficult, and was surprised there was no valet offering. It is a very nice, tastefully decorated, comfortable dining room. We were surprised the noise level was well within reason, despite all the hard surfaces.

In ordering, we were disappointed that if we choose the disgustation menu, which was enticing, we both had to have this prix fix plan, instead of sampling a larger number of items. Also disappointed there was no non-alcoholic beer. Added salads, which were excellent, to the three course meal.

First course was poorly conceived. The tuna was well cooked, and the mushrooms were very nice, but the ravioli were out of place, and the tomato marmalade didn’t tie the disparate items together.

The bison tenderloin second course was also mixed. The meat was wonderfully prepared, and very flavorful. However, my roasted potatoes were dry, flavorless and needing salt, while hers were more flavorful, but almost salty. My carrot puree was overly spicy, almost to the point of being inedible, while her’s wasn’t.

The dessert course was also uneven. My molten chocolate cake was dry, not what I expected in a “molten” cake, and the brie inside was a distraction. Her cake was moister, and she likes brie. The ice cream had a lovely texture, but lacked flavor. While the caramel was outstanding, maybe the best part of the meal, there wasn’t much of it, while the nuts were incongruous.

The small piece of toffee after the meal was very nice, and the wine pairings were exceptional. The bread, and what appeared to be homemade butter, was also good.

Overall portion size was modest, and I left hungry.

Service was spotty. They were gracious in moving us from a drafty table, but timing between courses widely varied.

• Visited February 2012