“Ugh...over priced and RUDE”
Review of Chef's Table - CLOSED

Chef's Table
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: I ate here last night and had a fabulous dinner. Not sure why it's not listed as they have been open for nearly a year
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“Ugh...over priced and RUDE”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I spent a fortune taking my friend here. They served foie gras and when I questioned the foie gras (violent goose meat) the chef came out and scolded me. My meal was TINY and mediocre, but paid $40 for it anyway.

1 Thank alisaMeg

Davenport, Iowa
“Below expectations set by the Reviews”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Parking was difficult, and was surprised there was no valet offering. It is a very nice, tastefully decorated, comfortable dining room. We were surprised the noise level was well within reason, despite all the hard surfaces.

In ordering, we were disappointed that if we choose the disgustation menu, which was enticing, we both had to have this prix fix plan, instead of sampling a larger number of items. Also disappointed there was no non-alcoholic beer. Added salads, which were excellent, to the three course meal.

First course was poorly conceived. The tuna was well cooked, and the mushrooms were very nice, but the ravioli were out of place, and the tomato marmalade didn’t tie the disparate items together.

The bison tenderloin second course was also mixed. The meat was wonderfully prepared, and very flavorful. However, my roasted potatoes were dry, flavorless and needing salt, while hers were more flavorful, but almost salty. My carrot puree was overly spicy, almost to the point of being inedible, while her’s wasn’t.

The dessert course was also uneven. My molten chocolate cake was dry, not what I expected in a “molten” cake, and the brie inside was a distraction. Her cake was moister, and she likes brie. The ice cream had a lovely texture, but lacked flavor. While the caramel was outstanding, maybe the best part of the meal, there wasn’t much of it, while the nuts were incongruous.

The small piece of toffee after the meal was very nice, and the wine pairings were exceptional. The bread, and what appeared to be homemade butter, was also good.

Overall portion size was modest, and I left hungry.

Service was spotty. They were gracious in moving us from a drafty table, but timing between courses widely varied.

• Visited February 2012
Woodbury, Minnesota
“french fun!”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I had a great dinner here. I had the soup, bison and creme brulee. All were fantastic. No pinot grigio though. Staff recommended an excellent substitution. Good service, nice ambiance I would go back for sure.

Visited January 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
“As close to elegance as you can come in Iowa City . . .”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I was not a big fan of this place when it first opened: the chef was trying to be too ambitious, and the entrees in our party of eight varied from poor to excellent. The lack of consistency was a huge problem, and it was hard to tell whether the place was going to make it. But in the few years since it has been open, the restaurant has aged well. They've reconfigured the originally very odd seating (a giant semicircle of tables) and the menu has settled into a selection of reliably excellent appetizers, entrees, and desserts; the wine list has always been superb, and if you have a large party, call well ahead and ask to be seated at the table in their wine storage room--quiet and lovely, with a good view of the impressive wines. The salads and appetizers are very small but beautifully presented and tasty. I've found their seafood particularly well prepared, though I have a number of friends who swear by the bison steak, which does look amazingly good. For the adventurous, there's the bison burger (made, I think, with six different meats!) available only at the bar. I agree with a previous reviewer that if there were a 4.5 rating, that's what I'd give this place. It's well worth a special evening out; I put it just behind Baroncini and Orchard Green currently among higher-end Iowa City restaurants.

• Visited November 2011
Iowa City, Iowa, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“World Class menu”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

The chef, Eric, knows what he is doing, and he always delivers fresh, top quality food in an interesting way. Wine list is also world class, and they have a wine steward who can give you good guidance. My only complaint is that sometimes the choices are a bit limited and perhaps a bit far off the beaten path. For example, I wish they always had a traditional steak option. & how about a pasta option sometimes? Having said that, what they do offer will be outstanding & well thought out world-class cuisine!!

Visited December 2011