“They have my repeat business”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oasis Falafel

Oasis Falafel
Ranked #8 of 249 Restaurants in Iowa City
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Owners and friends Naftaly Stramer and Ofer Sivan created Oasis the Falafel Joint in the summer of 2004. After meeting for lunch in downtown Iowa City the duo lamented that (at the time) falafel was nowhere to be found, and vowed to right this wrong. Naftaly had just left the tech industry and Ofer had just completed his degree in engineering – an unlikely starting place for what would become the world’s best hummus, falafel and fries.
Des Moines, Iowa
“They have my repeat business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Oasis Falafel twice now in the last few months. They sell their brand of Hummus at local grocery stores so we were curious about this place we kept hearing about. Typically, I like to try different foods when I go to a new restaurant, so having been twice I would normally eat two different meals. This time, I enjoyed their food so much that I ordered almost the exact same meal both times. I ordered a Falafel PIta with Lamb. The combination of flavors was incredible. They also have a "fixins bar"...for lack of a better phrase, where you can dress up your pita with different sauces and foreign-to-me-cabbagey stuff....that cabbagey stuff was incredible. Whatever that yellow sauce is, I could drink it. The temps of the food was hot and delicious. My wife got a plate with three different sides, which was definitely big enough for her meal. There is not much attention spent on the decor, but that is not why people go here. You get great, made-to-order food, and the low-key atmosphere is welcoming to anyone.

• Visited May 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great place for lunch. The falalfel was chock fulll of good stuff! A bit crowded but that was part of the atmosphere.

Visited May 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois
“Oh My Goodness...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

My mouth is watering just thinking about the falafel. I wish I was there right now...

Okay. In all seriousness, this place is great. The food is wonderful and the people who work there rock! So, so nice. If you like friendly, helpful people with a side of great hummus, this is your place!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank akat08
Camden, New Jersey
“Excellent! Vegetarians that love falafel platters!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a wonderful place to eat great vegetarian food! We want to drive long distances just to go there!

• Visited February 2013
“I ate the hummus with a spoon, it was that good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Their hummus is the best I've ever tasted, I literally at a side of it with nothing else but a spoon, it was that good.

Their pitas are great, but they are a distant second to their hummus.

The joint is a dump, small but clean. You wouldn't want to take a first date here.