“Surprising”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The Summit is a downtown Iowa City Bar and Eatery,and though I don't go there real often,I've never been disappointed with their food. They seem to have cut back somewhat on selection,but what remains is good. Atmosphere is lacking,but I go for the food.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

I visited the Summit recently w/four friends for a weekday lunch. It was a beautiful summer day and we wanted to eat al fresco. Although we originally planned to go to Short's next door, the ample patio seating, gorgeous interior woodwork, and the diversity of the menu reeled us in. The host sat us immediately and passing through the interior we could see it was spacious, well adorned and very inviting. Our table was facing the Pentacrest and provided an excellent view of all the pedestrians passing by. Our waitress arrived promptly to take our drink orders. She was bubbly and fun. Things seemed to be off to a good start.

After ordering beverages we perused the menu. There was a wide array of ubiquitous offerings with something sure to appeal to everyone. Burgers, pastas, wraps, sandwiches, salads, soups, appetizers, calzones, steaks. (Think Applebees, or TGI Fridays). We ordered the Spinach and Artichoke Dip w/tortilla chips and bread; and various sandwiches. After that is when our visit began to go downhill.
About 25 minutes after ordering, our appetizer arrived. At this point we still had no plates nor silverware. We requested some as the waitress ran off, but as it had not arrived after several minutes we just dipped the chips in the dip. The dip itself was fine. What really would have improved the hors d'oeuvre would have been the simple act of toasting the bread. It was cold and soft and did not lend itself to holding the dip. Shortly after that our plates and silverware did arrive -- at the same time as our entrees. I guess we should be glad though, because that was the last we saw of our waitress for the next half hour. I can understand if the place is packed, but it wasn't. I have no idea where she went nor what she was doing.
The rest of our food was fine. Between us there was a burger, a french dip, a wrap, and a salad. Nothing was extraordinary and nothing was particularly bad. Very mediocre. Our waitress did finally come back with the bill and she didn't take very long to pick up the check. The prices were reasonable.
Except for the service and the bread for the dip, the meal itself was fine. The ambiance itself was very pleasing. However, there are so many wonderful options to choose from in downtown Iowa City, I cannot recommend The Summit to anyone. Bland food. Poor service. You can do better.

2  Thank rickleed