“One of the best dinner locales in Iowa City”
Review of Takanami

Takanami
Ranked #43 of 253 Restaurants in Iowa City
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Bar
Dining options: Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dubuque
Description: Takanami is located in the heart of Iowa City's downtown pedestrian mall blocks away from the historic University of Iowa campus. Takanami specializes in sushi, Asian Fusian and Teppanyaki.
Iowa City, Iowa
“One of the best dinner locales in Iowa City”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I've been here for many dinners and left satisfied each time. The sushi is very good which creates a problem. I nearly always get sushi and ignore the other great dinner selections. I did have the coffee-encrusted Ahi Tuna was delicious. A bit expensive for Iowa City but you get what you pay for. Great place to impress out-of-town visitors.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Scott319

Chicago, Illinois
“Same owner as Formosa”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Crab Cakes and Kobe burger would good. I heard htis is the same owner as Formosa in Hotel Vetro. Vetro is more hip in space than Takanami, but Taka had better TA scores. Server was great. I am sure both would meet your needs.

• Visited November 2012
New York City, New York
“We were difficult... this place handled us with ease.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

It was U of Iowa's Homecoming weekend as an Alum, my wife and I went back to our Alma Mater for the festivities. Our entire weekend visiting with old friends and watching the Hawks win was amazing, but perhaps the highlight was our 'night out.' A group of 8 of us met up for dinner at Takanami. As the title to my review indicates, we were difficult... let me explain. Of the 8 of us we had 1 person with a shellfish allergy, 2 people who were gluten-free, 1 vegan and 2 of us never had sushi before. As we slowly began to arrive our server, Jason, greeted us and presented us with the drink menu, on his recommendation my wife ordered the "Black Orchid" Martini. She loved it! She ended up having 4 of them. I asked for a Scotch that they didn't carry, BUT he said he would get it for me. WHAT!?!?! I'm not sure how Jason made a bottle of liquor appear that they didn't carry, but he did. I was impressed! Once everyone had arrived and we were well into our drinks we were asked if anyone had any questions about the menu. Every single one of us did. Our server answered each and every question with clear and concise answers and took our order with extensive off menu requests and modifications. We joked as he left our table that it would be a miracle if the food came out as we ordered. Jason and the chef's of Takanami didn't fail us. EVERYTHING was flawless!! The presentation of the food was stunning, I only wish I took pictures... seriously though, beautiful plates to rival those of the most popular restaurants in larger cities (at half the price I might add.) Next year when homecoming rolls around again, we will absolutely be visiting Takanami again. I highly recommend you do too! We were seated in a private dining area which made it perfect for us to carry on and have a good time without bothering other diners. Though I must admit, where I was seated I had a view of a really large fish tank that I found myself wanting to take a closer look at. All in all... Amazing service, Great Food, Highlight of my weekend.

• Visited September 2012
Iowa City, IA
“Salmon Bento”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A tasty combination of flavors, often with small portions of cooked vegetable, california maki, rice, 3 inch square piece of salmon.

• Visited September 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
“Fun, tasty and beautiful”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The best sushi I've had in the Midwest, bar none. Add the beautiful decor, expert waitstaff and innovative presentation and you have my very favorite special-occasion restaurant.

Visited March 2012