“Will not return”

and 1 more site!
Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Indianola
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We were not pleased with our stay at the Apple Tree Inn. It should have been a red flag while checking in one of the hotel guests came into the lobby stating he had to sleep on a towel the night before because there were skid marks on his sheets.
One month previous to our stay my 92 year old grandmother went into the hotel and personally spoke to the front desk about how we would be needing adjoining rooms. Upon our arrival the front desk woman stated they had never spoken to anyone about this and that it was not written anywhere. She also clearly did not understand what the word "adjoining" meant. I had to show her on the hotel's floor plan map.
She also had our room numbers marked wrong in her computer. We were staying in room 226, but she had room 229 printed out on the sheet. She had trouble differentiating between the numbers, not understanding what was wrong. Also, she kept entering our credit card's expiration date wrong saying our card was declined. There was clearly a language barrier.
One of the rooms we were assigned to smelled like a pet store so we went back down to the front desk asking to be moved to another room. We were basically told "No, you are wrong because we charge a 50$ fee to anyone who brings pets into the rooms." (?) So the two adjoining rooms we were verbally promised were now fairly far apart.
After all this, our shower floor had not been cleaned. There was mold on the basket that holds the little soaps by the sink. Our phone did not work. The room was not disgusting, but definitely not what was expected. The hotel could use some major updates.
We have stayed at this hotel several times over the last 5-6 years and never had an experience this bad. Unfortunately it's now under different management.

Room Tip: NOT room 227
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank reporter511
kapipatel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

First and foremost we are sorry you were not 100% satisfied your stay with us. We take all guest comments seriously and would like to thank you for providing feedback.

We understand the frustration when a reservation is not correct during check in. We recently replaced the paper based reservation system with electronic software to help prevent these errors. The mistake with your reservation shows we still have some work to do and we will continue to improve this process until it is flawless. With that said we do have limited connecting rooms and tried our best to provide the closest room possible after the mix-up.

Room cleanliness is of utmost importance to us and we are truly sorry the room did not meet your expectations. As our employees and frequent guests can attest we are constantly working on projects to improve and modernize the property. Please let us know what we should prioritize as there is always room for improvement.

The motel has been under the same management for the past 7 years so we are truly sorry your last stay with us was not up to par. Please email your current mailing address to kpatel AT appletreeindianola DOT com and I will personally make sure your next stay with us is satisfactory. Thank you,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We recently stayed at the Apple Tree Inn and unfortunately didn't have the best experience. Some top reasons:

1) Upon our first phone conversation, the owners were VERY hard to communicate with and were rude when we asked for clarification if they had our room reserved or not (got frustrated and told us to call back later!). It took three times of calling to finally be on the same page that we did in fact have a room reserved.

2) Cleanliness: The room seemed a bit muggy and the bathroom floor was quite sticky.

3) Breakfast area is quite small.

Overall, we tolerated our 2 nights here but would probably not stay here again. The rude owners gave us a bitter taste of the Apple Tree Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bethany S
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a basic motel in a small midwestern town. Nothing of particular note, but the owners are friendly and accomodating. No swimming pool or spa. Basic and clean. If coming during Balloon Races make your reservations as soon as possible. Only one of two hotels in Indianola.

Room Tip: Basic sleeping accomodations. On the main drag through town, next to fast food on busy 4 lane highw...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was very disappointed that the owners seemed to reserve the entire bottom floor for own B parties. Felt very uncomfortable entering the door closest to the stairs I need to go upstairs and there were at least 100 pairs of shoes in the hallway. One night I was returning to the hotel as a single woman and they had this door locked. I had to walk in the dark to the front door just to enter the hotel. There was a man, assuming it was an owner that kind of grunted I would need to go to other door. I remember this hotel from years ago as a friendly home town owned clean hotel. Does not appear to be this way anymore. Room was not impressive. The refrigerator I need to keep insulin in, did not work. The sink had soap scum on ledge where someone had put used soap and housekeeping did not clean scum up. Very disappointed from the nice hotel a remembered years ago.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank 52024Disappointed
Reviewed August 31, 2012

With very limited choices in this little town, you should probably stay here.
I have business right in Indianola and need to be close... Though there may be some nicer hotels 25 min away in Des Moines.
The Apple Tree Inn is locally owned and I like that. The place is basic and your expectations should be realistic. I found the motel to be clean and well run.
I had a king bed room that cost aprox $92 per night total and to me that is an affordable nights stay and I would expect basic accomodations.
They were very pleasant to me, housekeeping was timely and they furnish a basic breakfast each morning.
The room was a decent size, bed was fine, tv was updated. A mini fridge and bath products supplied. Room, towels and bedding were clean.
Theres food and shopping within walking and a wonderful downtown 2 min drive away...
I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank RichieMichigan
kapipatel, Owner at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Sorry for the late reply but thank you so much for the review! Safe travels and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I hate to pick on a local, non-chain business. However room 106 smelled so strongly of mold/must it could make your eyes water. You walked in the door and you're hit with a wall of stink. The room's a/c was running full blast, but they clearly needed a dehumidifier. Our room's dew point was through the roof. The carpet and bedding all felt wet. We felt damp as we were trying to sleep. The bathroom ceiling looked like it was about to fall in and the floor was pretty dirty. We couldn't check out fast enough and after we did, I could smell the musty odor on my clothes all day. We felt gross when we left. There was also a tacky sign on the bathroom counter telling us not to clean our shoes with their towels and to instead ask for rags. This seemed almost comical to us -- even if it is an issue, which is unfortunate, it's the cost of doing business.

The continental breakfast isn't worth bothering with. The waffle iron looked like it had never been cleaned.

I'm not a picky hotel patron and love supporting local businesses, however this place needs some help. It's really not even particularly reasonably priced as you could pay $15-$20 more to stay at a spotless hotel chain. The staff was friendly, however. It would be great if they could get rid of the moisture and odor problem as it is nice to have a non-chain option in Indianola.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mrs_dunebuggy
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

First and foremost I am sorry you weren’t satisfied with your stay with us. We take all guest comments seriously and would like to thank you for providing feedback.

Regarding the room humidity, if a guest is not comfortable we have a dehumidifier or extra fans that can be placed in the room if we are made aware of the issue.

Regarding the tacky sign I completely agree! We were hesitant to place the sign there but it got to the point where so many new towels were being thrown away that we decided to give it a try. Also with everyone “going green” this was an easy way to reduce our consumption of water, electricity, and detergent.

Regarding the free continental breakfast, we clean the waffle iron everyday and change the plates regularly. Due the popularity of the waffles the iron may not sparkling after a couple hours of use but it is definitely safe to use and still produces tasty hot waffles!

I would love to increase our rates $20! We strive to be a valuable option and we are constantly commended by our regular guests for continuously improving the property while keeping rates relatively flat over the years and staying competitive with pricier chain options.

We hope you give us another opportunity to provide you accommodations next time you are in town. Please send me an email at ppatel@appletreeindianola.com with contact information and I will do all I can to ensure your next trip is satisfactory. Thanks again for the feedback and safe travels! - Pritesh

Reviewed June 1, 2012

The room was great and so was the staff. I will be returning whenever I need a place to stay in Indianola!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kyle R

Been to Apple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!