“Best Western - Best Choice for this town”

Best Western Plus Independence Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We are often in the area visiting family and usually stay in another town at another chain hotel. We decided on this hotel because it was more upscale and we had some reward points to use. We were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the hotel, a large, well appointed room, a totally NON-SMOKING Motel (in Iowa no less!) and the overall quietness. Staff was very accommodating. We were on a ground floor, (the wedding party was on the third) and had a view of the roses and fountain. Breakfast was the make-your-own waffles, the are-they -really-eggs eggs, a a wide range of cereals, pastries etc. We enjoyed yogurt and frozen blueberries and strawberries on the waffles. Nice pool and workout room, too.This place is clean! A bigger price than the other hotels in town, but for us, it was worth it for quality of rest we received.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherri V, General Manager at Best Western Plus Independence Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Our staff is held to high standards of customer service and hospitality, and the housekeeping staff strive to maintain cleanliness throughout the building. We are happy to hear that the staff is continuing this service throughout the day and that you were able to enjoy your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Over the years i have stayed at many hotels throughout the Midwest, and have to say this one ranks up there when it comes to cleanliness, accommodating staff and great rooms. When i checked in, the front desk gal, Briony, was very helpful with getting me into a room since i did not have a reservation made. Once i got to the room, i was impressed with how clean it was and just the overall quality of the room. I can say i had no complaints regarding anything, and there were little league baseball teams staying there and I didn't hear them at all. I've stayed at many hotels that don't have the home feeling, but this one sure did. I woke up the next morning, and they had great continental breakfast. Eggs, sausage, cereal, biscuits and gravy,bagels and toast, waffles,potatoes, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, and juice.It was great, loved having such a wide variety to choose from. The manager came up to me that morning and asked me how my stay had been, and talked to me for about 5 minutes making small chat, that was new! I can say overall i had a great stay and when I am in that area again i definitely will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at Best Western Plus-Independence Inn & Suites! We appreciate when guests let us know how we are doing to be able to maintain or improve our hospitality and service to guests. We are glad that you were able to enjoy your stay and that you found our service pleasant and accomodating. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We did not realize that this hotel caters to weddings; this does not make for a peaceful sleep when you can hear the guests next door vomiting all night. The room was spotless, although I did not care for cheap air freshener that smelled like bad oranges. The hotel lobby has been tastefully decorated. We were very surprised by the rough looking housekeepers, who looked like they had just crawled out of a whiskey bottle. Eeeks!

Room Tip: This hotel caters to the party crowd, and you will hear them vomiting all night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The overall look and comfort of the rooms and hotel were good. Unfortunately the staff was not very accommodating. Kendra was the desk clerk that was very unpleasant and threatening when I was checking in. Apparently there was a noise complaint that she was upset about and quickly warned me that if I made any noise I would be promptly kicked off the property. Not the warm welcome I was expecting. The following morning I then overheard the manager complaining to fellow customers how she "hates her job" there at the best western. Sounds like a bunch of disgruntled hotel employees. This hotel was built right next to a wedding venue, not by accident I'm sure so there is the expected rowdiness of wedding after parties that are not well received by the staff. It is obvious that this hotel survives off the wedding season and in my opinion should welcome everyone with open arms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2012

If you like a clean, well staffed hotel in a quiet location, I would recommend this countryside hotel. I like to conduct my business and then leave the city for a restful night of sleep. Remember, it is quiet.....not much entertainment and the selection of restaurants is limited, but the nearby town of Independence offers enough for most travelers.

Incidently, the Alphonse Mucha exhibit in Cedar Rapids is excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in quietest section of the hotel. The staff will know where those rooms are and will...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Sherri V, General Manager at Best Western Plus Independence Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for your response regarding your recent stay at Best Western Plus-Independence Inn and Suites! We are glad to have been accomodating, as we strive to cater to all travelers, no matter what the event. We train both our front desk staff and housekeepers to maintain highest standards, and we are happy to hear their hard work was noticed and appreciated. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Not a single thing to complain about! As this was my first experience with a Best Western Plus, I was unsure of what to expect though the reviews for this property were generally positive. We arrived early, but were made welcome immediately and even allowed to check in right away. The staff was all very nice and helpful, and each amenity was exactly as described. The gym, pool, and breakfast facilties were all fantastic, and though there is not a great deal to look at (it's Iowa...) there is a little porch on the front of the building that just adds a little extra space. It was clear that the staff was available to help, though everything was so smooth that that we never needed them to. A great stay overall.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Dear JanieC19,

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel when visiting family nearby. The staff was wonderful. The room was large, clean and quiet. They had set up a crib for our 18-month-old daughter. Great access to the interstate and local businesses. A gem on I-80 for sure!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear LLBSacto,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Hampton Inn Waterloo
Hampton Inn Waterloo
#1 of 16 in Waterloo
Days Inn & Suites Waterloo
Comfort Inn & Suites Waterloo
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Waterloo Cedar Falls
Days Inn Evansdale Waterloo
Holiday Inn Express Waterloo

Been to Best Western Plus Independence Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!