“Perfect for family meal or get-together with friends”
Review of Black Swan - CLOSED

Black Swan
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We got married at The Swan hotel&spa in Newby Bridge, which is owned and run by the same couple. The Black Swan is very much a child of The Swan, and living fairly closeby (8miles or so), we often arrange to meet friends at this lovely country pub.

It's in the middle of nowhere, which is a lovely location for a peaceful Sunday afternoon. However, this means there always has to be a designated driver!

The food is excellent. The menu has changed a few times, which means we always have to find our new favourite dish. Most recently I had 'popcorn halloumi' - really innovative way to serve a dish!

Hannah, the manager, is lovely - as are all the staff. It does get manically busy, so be sure to book, and at really busy times like Sunday afternoon, the service may be a bit slow - as expected.

2  Thank Sheena Louise N

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Having stayed in The Swan Hotel in Newby Bridge a few weeks ago, it seemed a good idea to drop in on its little sister, close to home, to savour the same excellent menu we had enjoyed only a few weeks before up in Cumbria.

Well, it WAS a good idea. We had not booked for Sunday lunch, but we were welcomed with great gusto, and the staff could not have been more attentive.

All three courses were beautifully presented, and delicious. In particular, to accompany my Sunday roast beef dinner, I sampled two of the real ales on offer. Sublime.

We will come back, as there are so many more delicious items on the main menu, and we want to experience an alfresco lunch, and enjoy a freshly made pizza from the outdoor oven.

Thanks for relaxing Sunday afternoon. See you again soon.

2  Thank George W
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Well, I'm sure the negative reviewers had their reasons, but I can say that my experience was a very positive one. The refurb is beautiful, they've made the interior so pretty. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was super delicious and timely (really imaginative veggie options which pleased me greatly), the cheesecake was to die for. Saw people have fish and chips and it looked amazing!

We hadn't booked (ok it was only a Tuesday night) but they gave us a nice table, and it was busy all night.

I'll go back for sure and i hope others give it a chance (maybe we got a different chef, I don't know, but it was a very good experience for my party). But as always in this life, take things as you find them.

3  Thank kk79kk
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I hate writing reviews the are not positive but then again it is not my fault if the chef cannot get it right.
Visited for a birthday lunch due to the previous visit 6 months ago being excellent.
Firstly the starter ,dismal.
Main course waited approx. 1.5 hours ,leg of lamb non existant ,2 pieces,no mint sauce minimal veg ,£15.
Burger overdone,fries soggy ,second portion crisp.
ROTISSERIE CHICKEN ,basted with a sauce,ceasar salad lettuce only little sauce,chips soggy,second portion ok.
Drinks were served late and we had to ask 3 times.
I think the restaurant was very busy but I am offering that as an excuse and hopefully they will do better.
Refunded 2 meals offered sweets free,what more can I say.
Will not visit again unless we feel things have changed.

5  Thank dealseuro
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I have just returned from a meal with a couple of friends at The Black Swan and although the last time we visited was good this time was pretty poor to say the least!
Firstly whoever was seating us was a snooty lady who seemed to think she was above everyone and offered us a very unappealing table. Then when we questioned this we got a strange look as if to say we were being fussy. Bar staff were friendly enough although we were waiting a 15-20 minutes for our drinks which were only glasses of wine, cocktails are served faster than this in busy bars in city centre bars!
The meals all took far to long to come out and although I don't have any complaints on my meal, my friends fish was not very fresh and the size of my little finger so she did feel a bit ripped off. Prices are on the high side for what comes out. If it blows your mind then you don't mind paying more but this certainly did not. Deserts were so so, nothing to rave about.
The last visit which was in March with my husband was in comparison to tonight- amazing. Food seemed of a higher standard, change of chef maybe? The last time felt a lot more full of life and had more of a buzz with happier staff. Either way this pub has definitely declined in a short space of time. Embarassing for me as I'd arranged the night for my girlfriends and I wish I had met them elsewhere as we don't get together much without the children.
Plenty of far better places to eat with higher standards.

3  Thank layla f