“Excellent”
Review of The Woodmans Arms

The Woodmans Arms
Cuisines: Central European, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: If you are looking for individual pubs with great character, fantastic beer, delicious food and excellent service - look no further than The Empire Pub Company. Our pubs are the perfect place to enjoy a broad and interesting range of fantastic cask-conditioned and craft beers. We offer an interesting range of bottled beers, craft ales and lagers from around the UK and across the world. Whether you are looking for excellent lunches and dinners, or lighter dishes and sharing plates, we have tempting menus of delicious dishes freshly prepared at every pub by our talented chefs and their teams, using only the freshest ingredients, locally sourced whoever possible. We are able to cater for private parties and events which we would be more than happy to give you details for. No great pub experience is complete without great people - and we pride ourselves in offering truly excellent service in all of our pubs. We have well motivated and experienced managers running our pubs working alongside a great team of house, and kitchen staff. We are a great place to work and we are always looking for good talented staff to work in our team. Empire Pubs are focused on providing high-quality service and customer satisfaction - we will do everything we can to meet your expectations. Look around our website and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us. We hope to see you again very soon
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Having moved to the area a year ago this pub/restaurant is our local.
I'm pleased to report therefore that we are delighted with our experience.
We don't drink there but go once a week on a Friday at 6pm for an Early Bird.
The food, service and atmosphere is always first class. Quite expensive but worth it.
Thoroughly recommended by us and I am surprised to read such average or even poor reviews on TA.
Give it a go and judge for yourself.

1 Thank Steve L

Essex
“Decidedly average”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Went for Sunday lunch, first time we have eaten here for a few years and we were disappointed. The staff were friendly and service fine but food was not great for the price. All four adults had a roast, the meat was nice but the potatoes were very oily as was the Yorkshire pudding, small amount of veg as well. I resented paying £12 for my two year old to have a roast (most of which would have ended up on the floor!) and ice cream so just gave her some off my plate. Dessert was nice but tasted shop bought rather than homemade. It was really busy in there so is obviously still popular but we won't be going back for food any time soon. On the positive, my daughter does enjoy the playground in the garden so we will still go for a drink when the weather is nice.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank winnie19_79
essex
“Terrible service”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Visited today for first time in about a year. Service was terrible, had to ask for menus after sitting for 10 minutes, had to ask twice for sauces to the point of food going cold, had to ask for table to be cleared etc. food was ok but not fabulous as it used to be and when I paid (I had to take bill uptown counter as no one came to our table) I actually asked if staff were hungover or something as service was awful - wouldn't go back in a hurry

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, friendly service but very loud music”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've eaten a few times here recently and can say that the food is consistently decent, I really enjoy their hamburgers. The staff are very efficient and friendly but what I think is the biggest problem here is the noise. On a past visit their were loud drinkers in the bar and this time the music was really hard to make yourself heard. I enjoy Nirvana but it's not the obvious dining choice for Saturday lunchtime.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Robert P
London
“What happened?”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We recently went to the Woodmans to have a Sunday roast and was disappointed. The food was lukewarm and the potatoes were obviously reheated. Not only that, but there were no roasted vegetables nor cauliflower cheese which were listed on the menu as coming with the dinner. When we inquired about this, they offered extra steamed vegetables. Good in theory but the side of vegetables was overcooked. The carrots were unsavoury and the greenbeans were too waxy. They also did not even supply adequate amounts of grazy.

Considering we've dined here before, this was such a disappointment! It had been THE place to go for a Sunday roast. However it seems the Michelin star rating has slipped. I'm not sure if the chef had a day off or what happened, but this is about the third time in several months that it has slipped in quality from what we had a year before.

Service was good despite this. They are attentive, which is good. However they should warn people in advance if there are any changes to the items ordered from the menu so people can decide whether this is what one would like. They should not assume people will be okay with changes and pay a fair amount for an inadequate meal.

If it were an excellent meal, I would not mind paying the expense. Fact of the matter is it is more expensive than other places but normally this is okay if the food and service are excellent. As said, service was good, not excellent. The food, sadly, was terrible.

They need to rehire their old chef or do something. I doubt we will visit again unless we hear or read of significant improvements.

• Visited August 2013