“Nice but more construction than anticipated”

Royal Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Our party of 10 just stayed at the Royal Palm Resort from May 24th to June 4th....We had 2 rooms for this amount of people. I also had read many reviews before going and I have to say no one really told of all the construction that is going on right at this resort...One of our rooms was on the 2nd floor and we had a huge dumpster right out side our door which all the tile and everything else that is being ripped out of the rooms was dumped into. The other room was on the bottom floor and they were jack hammering in the room right above it and busted a water pipe and our bedroom ceiling was being soaked and dripping water. And they tell you that they don't start work until 10:00 AM, that is not the truth AT ALL!! They start the work as early as 7:00 AM EVERYDAY! So if you go try your best not to be on the 1st or 2nd floor for sure! As far as the rooms, we had one of the old style and one of the updated ones...Both were very nice size and we didn't have any complaints with either room. We only recieved room service 1 time while we were there since we traded for this timeshare. I believe if you rent this room like a hotel room you will get it everyday. Its in a great location with many places to eat right across the street within walking distance. The bar up stairs is a nice place to hang out and Darren the bartender is GREAT! Over all we had a very nice time on this vacation.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank pamalea2
There are newer reviews for Royal Palm Beach Resort

Reviewed May 21, 2007

I read some of the reviews prior to my 2 week stay (May 5 - 19, 2007) and again upon my return. I am a little perplexed about all the complaining - Yes, there is construction at the moment across the bay - have you ever been in a city?? It is not a problem at all. The beach is great and very safe for children. The view is spectacular with all the yachts. Restaurants across the road were great. Had a 5 pound lobster!!

The rooms were very large and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and brought us linens and flowers every day (and no, we did not pay them, we were just nice to them!!).

I can definately recommend the property.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank Vakansieganger
Reviewed May 14, 2007

When we booked the hotel, the owner/renter did not tell us there was construction going on right across the bay. There was constant hammering pretty much during the entire day. Also, not very impressed with service or room.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank Wild_Nordic_Fairy
Reviewed April 17, 2007

My family and I just returned from a vacation from April 7-14, 2007 at the Royal Palm Beach Club. Check-in went smoothly, and we were pleased to have both of our rooms on the same floor, within easy walking distance. The two-bedroom rooms themselves were ok- clean and comfortable, but lacking in some simple cosmetics: fixtures on the wall were not secure, towel holders loose, various small holes in the wall. The actual resort was fairly clean, with the exception of some litter on the edges of the beach. The front desk was not very helpful- it felt that we were inconveniencing them with any questions we had. The view is nice- it overlooks the lagoon with many boats. Major drawbacks: it is right next to the airport, so there are loud airplanes constantly overhead. The resort is also right next to the police station, so do not be surprised to hear sirens. However, on the positive side: the resort is within walking distance of some excellent restaurants, so that is a big plus if you do not want to bother renting a car or travelling all over the island. May I recommend the Saratoga restaurant: a bit pricy, but excellent quality of food. We also did the Calypso dinner catamaran + dinner on the french side: great times. We went to the sister property, The Flamingo, a few times since the beach there had a more open view of the ocean, and the resort had a much nicer pool. At either resort, we never had to fight for chairs or a smaller umbrella. The larger umbrellas were a little harder to claim. Overall, the resort was ok. My family does quite a bit of travelling, and this resort is by far not the worst, but definitely not the best.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank kgkitkat
Reviewed April 11, 2007

My husband and I just returned from some much needed rest and relaxation at St. Maarten's Royal Palm from March 25 - April 1, 2007.
Our accomodations were excellent. Everything was clean and the appliances were new. The beach was clean and free of the litter and debris I had read in another review. The Royal Palm's personal beach is a bit small and modest, but it still offers a tranquil view and clear water. However, we found Orient Beach (note: this is a clothing
optional beach) and Pinel Island (a 3 minute $6 boat ride or you can rent a canoe and have at it yourself) to be much more to our liking.
Great snorkeling spots out here. The island is only 37 square miles, so no place is too far to drive. However, that (driving) also takes getting used to. There are many confusing round abouts and not a single traffic light. Just remember, those in the round abouts have the right of way. Anyway, back to The Royal Palm....the only negative
thing I have to report is this. Do not use the International Phone Service advertised on a plastic placard next to the telephones in the
room where you dial #300 and then are instructed to enter your credit
card #. I was charged $100.76 for leaving a 1minute each phone message on my parent's voicemail and home answering machine. The phone somehow stayed connected for 20 minutes each call. There was nothing the staff at the RP could do about it, because it is an independent phone service. You a better off using your cell phone. It's cheaper and safer in the long run. For the most part, the island people were very friendly, especially Ray of Splash Jewelers in the main lobby. My husband and I were able to find a few trinkets for a good price. Other than the little wrinkle with the telephone incident, we had a fantastic time. Highly recommend doing the Eagle Tour catamaran trip around the island if you are into snorkeling.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Kawas
Reviewed March 10, 2007

We were at the Royal Palm from March 2 through March 9, 2007. The beachfront is rough with many removable items such as cans, metal and trash on the extremely small area. One would think that this would be attended to more carefully. The approach to the water in the lagoon was rocky, again an area that one would think would be attended to in such a small area. You may have to use your beach towels for 2 or 3 days since the supply was limited and you had to time your swap just right. The area around the Royal Palm is lively but the walking area was scarce and vehicular traffic is extremely high at any time so be careful as you walk. The staff was adequate but tended to pass the buck when pertinent questions were asked. The most disconcerting factors were leaving a deposit when you called a cab and that nobody seemed to have any small bills like one or five dollars. This was odd since there was much cash handled but getting change always seemed to be a deal. Overall it seemed like it was an inconvenience to have visitors or tourists come to the resort and actually Saint Maarten itself.

Stayed: March 2007
9  Thank Seekingsunandfun
Reviewed January 26, 2007

I just returned from a great vacation in St Maarten. We stayed at the Royal Palm Beach resort from Sun Jan 21-Sat Jan 27. I read reviews before going and I was a little worried about the beach and the hotel. I can now assure you all after my return that there is nothing to worry about.The beach is very nice and the ocean is wonderful. Are there some rocks in the ocean . Yes! but I grew up on a beach in Miami Beach and the one in St Maarten is 20 times nicer. Oceans in generalare full of shells and rocks and sand. If you don't like it stay in the pool. The rooms were great. They gave us a newly refubished room on the second floor. Room 8208.We brought our own meals and the kitchen was great. We are a party of five and there are two big bedrooms with bathrooms and a pullout sofa. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful with everything from directions and advice to making sure we had more towels and pillows. My guess is that the complainers in the earlier posts never knew how to show their appreciation to the staff so they might not have gotten priority service. When on vacation I like to tip from the start at checkin so that word gets around that I am a tipper. I want service and those that provide it deserve to be compensated for it. There are activities almost every night that kept our whole family entertained from bingo to karaoke and vendors that set up shop by the pool at great prices. Had I known in advance I would not have gone to Marigot the day before to do my sovenier shopping. I took my kids on a snorkeling trip and it was great I later found that when I went snorkeling by the beach at the hotel there were many of the same fish visible there. We all had such a great time. Try Lucky stables 5 minutes away if you like a nice scenic horse ride that take you right into the ocean up to your waist. My kids who had never ridden before loved it. Lastly the hotel is less than 2 miles from the airport. You do not hear planes flying overhead. Planes land and takeoff in another direction so they are visible but cannot be heard.There are lots of bars and places to eat right accross the sreet. There is an activity center on location to set up tours. I did not see or hear any noise from renovations taking place. I would highly recomend this to anyone that wants a relaxing vacation. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#3 of 8 in Grand Case
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!