“Nice location, decent rooms, poor service”

Royal Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Palm this past week as a family of 5 (me and my spouse, my brother and his spouse, and my father). We enjoyed the hotel in general. The location is great, with their own private beach and swimming area and a great view of Simpson Bay. The room was comfortable enough; we were happy to have a sunny breakfast nook and a small balcony. It was rainy for a few days, so the big flat screen TVs were nice for movie nights.

My one issue with this hotel was the service. The front desk staff were very friendly, but not at all helpful or efficient. They would promise to follow through on requests (for example, to contact housekeeping for us, or to bring my lost suitcase to the room once the airport delivered it to the hotel), but we would have to contact them several more times or take matters into our own hands to get anything done. Service issues usually do not bother me much, but it was like pulling teeth to get even basic requests fulfilled at the Royal Palm. Plus, they always seemed to be out of clean towels. For a hotel on a beach, this is problematic.

The best perk of this hotel, for me, was the gym. They have the largest and most well-stocked fitness center that I have ever seen at a hotel/resort, and I am a fitness nut who travels a heck of a lot. They have nearly every type of machine, weights, or fitness gadget you could ever want. My only regret is that I did not have more time to go to the gym during my vacation....it would have helped offset the decadent meals!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GotMilkanie

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Royal Palm was perfect. Great location to everything. The rooms are clean, big and have a great view. The staff is friendly and helpful. We really loved karaoke night! Morning water aerobics was a good way to loose the guilt from all the delicious food we consumed here. I Love St Maarten!

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank deb m
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The dutch side is the best side of the island in terms of beaches, activities, fun, entertainment, cleanliness. This hotel was great. The room was nicer than we could have imagined and the bed was very comfortable. Everything you need is in the room: shampoo, iron, blender, oven, utensils, etc. The restaurant has good food selections and the bar has reasonably priced, good drinks. The beach is nice and tranquil at the hotel and there are people that offer you beach massages for really cheap! The hotel front desk were very nice and accomodating.

We stayed on the french side before coming here and were disappointed at how ghetto it was. There were abandoned buildings, graffiti everywhere, hoboes walking around and seemed generally unsafe. Not so on the dutch side. The streets were clean, no graffiti or board ups, lots to do, nicer beaches. Mullett Bay was by far my favorite beach. The water is so turquoise and tranquil. Maho beach was beautiful also. There's plenty of parking everywhere and it is overall a great time.

This hotel is in a great centralized location for those who are looking to have fun on vacation. If you want to do nothing and be bored, then stay on the french side or in Phillipsburg.

Simpson Bay is the best place for those looking to go clubbing and have fun at night. We easily were able to travel to all sides of the island depending on what we wanted but all nightlife was pretty much around the simpson, maho bay area. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: all rooms are nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MarylandGreatness
diamondresorts, Manager at Royal Palm Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

We are delighted to learn that you had such a pleasant time here with us and enjoyed every minute of your stay at Royal Palm Beach Club Resort! Reading that we have exceeded your expectations is the best compliment we could ask for and we are grateful to you for your words of appreciation! We hope this is just one of many more of your visits yet to come and we are looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have been coming here for over 10 years and there looks like a concerted effort to make this place better than in the past. New appliances and kitchen makeover was very nice. Hurray for non-stick pans after years without them. Plenty of towels, pillows, and linens. The unit was very clean in every respect. One big improvement was the pressure in the shower. I loved that part.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom (having stayed in 2, 3 bedroom units before). The master is on the water with excellent views. With the design of the resort (2 wings), you will likely walk a little to reach your room. We were on the first floor for easy beach access but I prefer the higher floors for the view and private balcony. Three bedroom units are even better with 2 waterfront masters and a nice end deck. We were using a Diamond Resorts timeshare points redemption and every reservation detail was covered.

The staff was very pleasant and always seeking to assist. All of the onsite amenities were well kept with a cleaner each and trimmed plants. The location is great to walk to any number of dining places in less than 5 minutes. As stated, we have been visiting for years and like the easy walk to a variety of dining choices and levels - seafood, bbq, pizza, pub, etc.

The onsite car rental is Hertz which, after many years and experiences, is the best that I have tried with clean cars, free GPS, and professional staff. Almost all activities can be arranged at the next desk (excursions, et al).

We only had one issue -- check-in is at 4:00, we are arrived at 4:30, cleaning was not completed until 6:00. However, it was clean!

Room Tip: Three bedrooms if you can get them (limited). Also, try to get a room on the canal side where there...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oldstocks
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Tired and old feel to the unit with a hard bed and a shower that made me want to wear shower shoes. The kitchen, however, did have nice new Cuisnart appliances. And the resort staff was very nice. The beach is very nice and clean and the pool/bar area is pleasant.

Depends what your idea of a vacation is.

My expectations were set too high for this place. As a "Diamond Resort" and Interval "Select Resort", I was expecting more. For me, roughing it is a 3 star hotel, and I felt like a 3 star would be an upgrade.

Also, just a note: Simpson Bay area is a busy area with lots of restaurants, bars and casinos within walking distance. I preferred the quiet resort feel of Oyster Bay area. Again, depends on what your idea of a vacation is.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank jptravels2
diamondresorts, Manager at Royal Palm Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

We regret if we have failed to impress you on this occasion and we would like to assure you that this is not the usual standard of service we are offering here at Royal Palm Beach Club Resort. It is very important to us to deliver guest satisfaction at all times and we would like to assure you that all issues mentioned by you will be addressed with our personnel – please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We sincerely hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you again and offer you an excellent stay; we wish all the best on your future travels.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were very happy with our 2 bedroom 2 bath condo. The view of of the ocean was great! The condo was in a good location, near restaurants, shopping, car rentals and the airport. The restaurant on the property had good food and friendly wait staff. We enjoyed our stay, just wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from a week at this resort overlooking the water. They keep the place very clean. The rooms are a very nice size and well kept. The restaurant there has very good food and is very reasonably priced. There are several other restaurants within a 15 minute walk of the hotel. It is in a great location. The people working there are very pleasant and helpful. The pool is a little small, but kept sparkling clean. A nice beach with calm water.

Room Tip: All two bedroom units face the water.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!