New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Harlan
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Room with nature”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

After being a traveling salesman for 25 years this motel ranks among the worst. The man who checked me in was surly and un-communicative. I should have known when I opened the door what I would find. Dirty room with mold growing on the walls of the bathroom. While I was sleeping nature came to visit in the form of spiders who left me bitten and swollen. I would avoid this place like the plague otherwise you might just catch it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank steven f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Storm Lake, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

My room is always clean and the water is hot. The heating and cooling system works great. For me, it is a great value for the money. The Inn and Suites is only a mile from town and just a short distance from the interstate.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Mark F
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I decided to give this place a chance even though there were a few bad reviews because the pics looked okay on the website and the location was close to family in town. All I can say is this, when we first walked in I was less than impressed. It was like walking in to a retirement home from the eighties with less personality, but I had already paid for four nights before seeing the room and the other hotel in this town was already booked up so I figured we could just suck it up as we wouldn't be there that much. If you are looking for hard beds, luke warm showers, stale donuts, and arguing for a few more towels than this is the place for you! We were the only people staying in this hotel most of the time we were here and I believe the people that owned/worked here lives above us and parked outside of our room so we got to hear their car alarm and them stomping around nice and early in the morning. Needless to say, I should have brought my tent and just camped. Harlan Inn and Suites will never get another dime of my money. The best thing I can say about this place is there were no visible bugs, however I don't know what was living on the disgusting excuse of a shower curtain that I kept tripping on.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Harlan hotels

Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was traveling through the area and got caught in a blizzard that closed nearby Interstate 80. I probably would have been better off sleeping in the car and taking my chances.

This is a horrible flea bag hotel. The owner is rude. The rooms are awful and the so called breakfast I would not have feed to a wild animal.

There were, what appeared to be blood stains on the carpet in the room and a giant dirty hand print on the wall above the toilet. The television was circa 1980 but surprisingly the wi-fi was pretty reliable.

I wish I had taken a photo for what was passed off as breakfast. Overall this was a horrible day of travel made worse by having to spend the night in hotel hell. Avoid at all costs. Pay a few more bucks and be happier anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Council Bluffs, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We arrived and the owner came out of his apartment to check us in. He looked as if we were a bother to him or we were interrupting something. After we got checked in we went to our room it was 96 outside and the room was hotter! I started the ac and went to the bathroom on the ledge of the shower were two used bars of hotel soap with hear on them, however the room looked clean the next day the soap was cleaned out.
They have a breakfast of toast cereal and waxed chocolate donuts however there were no spoons no milk and only two pads of butter. I think they were left from there last trip to KFC. we couldn't get the manager to answer the phone so we skipped the cereal.
did I say the bread was green! There is a grate restaurant on chat burn and 12th street in Harlan

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank jimshorse
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I paid only $40, and got a safe and quiet place to sleep. It wasn't a place I'd recommed if you had more money, but for the price you shouldn't expect more. (If you do find more for the price, workers are being mistreated!)

Apparently some rooms have been updated per other reviews, but mine was not. Carpet had been vacuumed but was dingy, many stains including clear boot prints tracking across the entire floor. And the vacuum missed a toenail clipping in the corner. The walls needed cleaning or paint, not sure if those streaks and smears would come off or not, wasn't about to touch and find out!

Fixtures and toilet worked and appeared clean. Bed linens were not soft but clean. The place was quiet through the night.

Breakfast was some boxed donuts that were stale even for boxed donuts. No one had made coffee and I didn't take time to start it. There were also a couple tupperware containers of cereal, probably off-brand version of cheerios and rasin bran, and I wasn't sure how old they were or if any one elses fingers had been in the container, so I didn't go there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank wearytraveller005
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

This was my family's second time staying at this hotel, the first time being in 2006. I guess with the passage of time, we forgot about our first experience. But at $55/night versus $80+/night at Settle Inn and Suites, we were opting to save money. First off, the cats that frequent the parking lot give the area a rather unpleasant smell. Second, when making the reservation, I clearly stated there would be four guests. We only had linen for two guests. Third, the beds are NOT queens; they are full/double beds - false advertisement. Fourth, the breakfast is only donuts, coffee and Raisin Bran cereal. Thankfully, my family went to HyVee and Wing's for breakfast :) Overall, we were highly disappointed with our stay here. When my family comes back to Harlan next June, we will definitely pay the extra dollars and stay at Settle Inn and Suites.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank EIMaxwell1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlan
Settle Inn & Suites Harlan
Days Inn Atlantic
Days Inn Atlantic
#4 of 5 in Atlantic
3.0 of 5 stars 54 reviews

Been to Harlan Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!