“Cancelled Reservation - Hotel Charged me Anyway!!!”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Grinnell
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This hotel delivers horrible customer service. The desk clerk and the manager are rude and potentially scam artists. I booked a room in June and called and cancelled the reservation 3 days before my stay. The desk clerk did not offer me a cancellation number and charged my credit card for the room. When I noticed the charge and called the hotel to have the error corrected, the manager was extremely rude to me and refused to correct the error.

I contacted Days Inn customer service. They were not able to correct the error and directed me back to the horrible management at the hotel.

I will never stay in another Days Inn property and would NEVER recommend the property to others.

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank DaysInnisLousy

Reviewed September 29, 2008

Undergoing construction, but that was not really a problem.
However, the room needed a deep cleaning. The bedspread had large stains on it, as did one of the bathroom walls.

The outside security doors were propped open with a brick from the construction site.

Not handicapped accessible. There was no elevator to our 2nd floor room.

A new mini refridgerator and microwave had been put in the room. They were all plugged into a single outlet, along with a lamp, tv and a coffee maker. A real fire hazard.

Not a place we'll stay again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2008

The hotel website had by far the best prices even when compared to Travelocity, etc. We booked a King but due to renovations (not mentioned on Days Inn website, by the way) we were upgraded to a larger room at no additional cost. The carpeting, furniture looked clean, however there were several rust stains on the bedding which I attributed to the local water. The hotel was quiet and away from the interstate. Did not use the pool but it looked well maintained. Breakfast was comprehensive, however I was a little cautious as the eggs and sausage were kept out at room temperature without anything to keep them hot or cold (they were on a tray and nothing more). Sausage gravy was tepid--crock pot could have been upped a little. Other than that I give this place an above average rating.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Just stayed here--I had no problems, the night clerk was very nice. The room was clean--the bathroom had been redone with the curved shower curtain and a new showerhead.

The hot breakfast offers sausages to microwave, and also a waffle maker. Both had instructions when I was there. I didn't try the pool.

Overall, it was a fine place to stop when passing through--I parked a car full of stuff overnight and it was perfectly safe.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Days Inn in Grinnell while we were setting up for an estate sale for my deceased parents. I booked a regular king at the government rate over the hotel's website. When we checked out on the 28th we were charged for a "corporate" king instead of the regular king I booked. At check-in, I guess, we were upgraded to a "corporate" king without us knowing. We were charged the rate for the corporate king instead of the rate I booked. I asked to speak to the manager and showed him my reservation confirmation, but he would do nothing about the price. I did not see a price on the sheet I signed when I checked in - I will NEVER make that mistake again.

As the previous reviewer stated, the breakfast was frozen and awful. We only ate their "free" breakfast the first morning and then ate elsewhere the balance of our stay. The bed was comfortable and it looked like the room had been recently painted, but the hallways smelled like smoke.

I would recommend to anyone using this motel to check the room rate upon check-in to make sure you are getting the room and rate that you reserved.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2008

This Days Inn is fairly easy to spot right off of I-80, even though right near a busy highway, I didnt hear any highway noise.

I had a lot of problems at check in: the clerk did NOT want to honor the Days Inn Best Rate Guarantee of a free room that I had a confirmation for. I had to argue back and forth for about five minutes and was threatened that I would be charged for the room regardless if I checked in or not since they had my credit card on file! Then the clerk/owner decided to actually call the Days Inn corporate office to question what was going on and was informed that I was to be charged nothing for the room and that they were supposed to bill Days Inn for the room instead of me. After that, he was actually fairly nice, but it left a bad taste in my mouth for this place.

Anyway, once I actually got in the room it was your basic king room - had a dorm sized refrigerator and coffee maker, nice variety of cable channels and a firm but comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. The sink is located outside of the bath area - which is a nice touch for more than one person traveling.

Being so close to the highway I expected noise but heard nothing over the loud air conditioner - I love sleeping with some fan noise but this was a bit too loud for me.

The "Hot Breakfast" was really frozen breakfast to be heated up in a microwave and no instruction on how to operate things.. toasters were broken and waffle maker took way too long.

Overall, I think if you were on the road and needed a place to crash with no frills (or you got the room for free!), this is the place for you.. otherwise i'd keep on driving.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2004

6/10/04- Stayed in this Days Inn. Walked into the lobby and felt that it needed A LOT of improvements. The pool was freezing! When we went to go to sleep, the air conditioning was extremely loud. Wouldn't stay there again!

1  Thank LynnetteB