“Mice!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
Midwest
“Mice!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

The hotel is old and a little creepy but I'm also not used to staying in this price range of hotels, so part of that is my own fault!

The bed was "wavy", and the room was also a little creepy but I was okay with it once I adjusted my expectations.

Then, just as we were climbing into bed for the night, I saw a mouse run across the floor! My husband went to the front desk, and the manager told him that there are mice all over the hotel because it's harvest time and the hotel is next to a field. He offered to give my husband a box trap to put in our room! Haha! My husband said, "Don't tell my wife you said that please. Just switch us to a different room and we will hope she doesn't see any more mice." (Thank you, hubby!)

Anyway, we switched rooms and thankfully I didn't see another mouse, but I was freaked out the whole rest of the time. (BTW, my husband told me after check-out what the manager had said.)

The waffle maker wasn't clean, so the waffles were covered in black stuff.

The location is convenient though, and if you don't care about mice or a nice breakfast and just want a low price, this might be just the place for you! Also, the pool did look pretty nice compared to the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
nora springs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

The room was not clean and they didn't even have sheets to fit the beds. There was a lost little boy who walked out of a room in the morning and the houskeeping person cleaning on that floor ignored his screams. When I took him to the front desk for help they just looked at me. I'm glad I took the boy out to get the license plate number of his mom's car because all the emplyee's were idiots!!! I will never stay there again...even if it was cheap!!

• Stayed August 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

If you are looking for just a bed...this is the place. They do have a pool, so I guess if your travels include younger ones, that would be nice. Nothing spectacular about this hotel, but it worked for our needs. We wished that we could have parked by our room, but the parking lot does not go around building. Breakfast is there, but limited. Staff tries to be nice, but whenever we asked anything, they seemed confused and really could not tell us anything about the town and things to do there. Right off interstate, but didn't really hear car noise so that was nice. Trash cans seemed to always be full too. Overall, OK.....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

Our family was passing through on our way back from vacation and we were horribly tired and needed to sleep. It was 2 a.m. when we stopped. When we walked in, the front desk attendant was sprawled out on the lobby chair snoring. We got our key and went to the other entrance. It was completely bare, just a trash can, dead roaches, and beer cans. The hallway smelled musty and we are pretty sure that people were smoking weed in one of the rooms. Our room reeked strongly of pesticides, as well as the bedding, and it made our eyes burn. There were bathroom ceiling tiles sagging and full of thick black mold. We saw 2 roaches in the tub as well as bright orange stains on the bottom of the tub. There was also black mold all over the tile on the floor. We turned right around and got our little babies out of there. My husband went to get our money back and told the lady that we could not sleep with cockroaches and she was not surprised. We were refunded without hesitation. I could not believe the conditions of this place! Please do not stop here, the best western across the street was much better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

I stayed one night on my way west.Motel is not bad for Super8 but it like in a cow field nothing around there but farms.I found the rates way too high for location.I was told it was grads weekend and that was why the rates were high but only about 40% of the rooms were occupied.Rip off i think.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Salt Lake
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

We woke to bed bugs. When my husband went to the front desk they replied, "oh not again. ". My husband called the owner who failed to report the last incidence. We will be contacting the health authorities.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Pocono'Mtn, Pa.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed at this hotel as we were traveling thru the midwest on our way to Rapid City ,SD. Motel was very clean although it was beginning to show some signs of its age. The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was more than adequate. Waffles, juice, cereal, etc. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grinnell
Quality Inn & Suites
Pleasant Stay Inn
#1 of 1 in Brooklyn
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown

Been to Super 8 Grinnell IA? Share your experiences!