“Bad to worse. Is there a rating lower than terrible?”

Super 8 Grinnell IA
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“Bad to worse. Is there a rating lower than terrible?”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Checked in, went to our room and there was an odor in the air the whole way including in the room. We walk in and there is an old TV just sitting on the floor. I'm assuming it must be the old one because there was one hooked up on the stand (the TV that was hooked up is old too). We were there a few minutes and I needed to use the bathroom. I went in, luckily only had to pee because the toilet handle was broken off and sitting on the top of the toilet. I didn't realize it until I went to flush. We let the front desk know and a guy came and fixed it. I tried to call the front desk to get the code for the WiFi and the phone broke. I got it fixed, called again, talked to somebody that hung up on me. After that I got on my phone and booked the Days Inn down the road. We left the Super 8 after being there less the an hour.

We were in town for a wedding. Other people we talked to had problems with it as well. Another guests room had mold in it and moved to another room. While at the front desk another guest was complaining to the clerk that his room had no TV remote.

I would sleep in my car before I would stay here. I am fairly certain our room hadn't been cleaned prior to our arrival. If it would have been the cleaning people surly would have noticed the toilet handle.

Room Tip: Book one of the many other hotels in the area. If they are all booked up, sleep in your car.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brandon K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Washiington, DC
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Don't be fooled by the very well-kept exterior or the beautiful indoor pool: This Super 8 is one to be avoided. My lesson learned was to inspect the room before I rent it, and somehow I thought that that would not be necessary with this chain. The problem was not with cleanliness (aside from the large spider on the floor in the bathroom and the ferocious-looking beetle in the tub) but the facility has deteriorated so much that it needs complete renovation or a name change. And to add insult to injury, it was one of the most expensive Super 8's I have ever used. This is really one to be avoided, and there are plenty of other choices in Grinnell.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you decide to stay there.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Willoughby, Ohio
Reviewed June 16, 2011

First stop on our way to relocating west. The first hotel was sold out, the second had one room left for $89. Found out that the high school graduation was the next day. S8 "only have a suite for $129". Started to walk out to go to the 2nd hotel and were asked the price of #2. Told them $79. All of a sudden they found a regular roomm with 2 queens for $74. We took it. 2nd floor overlooking a field to the east. Hallway smelled of fresh paint. Had a huge old tube TV and looked clean. Problem was that the bathroom door was closed and locked. Called the front desk and in less than 10 minutes staff was knocking on the door. He unlocked the bathroom door in seconds. Typical S8 thin towel and basic room amenities. Breakfast was nothing special. Area was clean and staff was refilling items as they got low. Expectations were not high and S8 met that.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Midwest
Reviewed November 7, 2010

The hotel is old and a little creepy but I'm also not used to staying in this price range of hotels, so part of that is my own fault!

The bed was "wavy", and the room was also a little creepy but I was okay with it once I adjusted my expectations.

Then, just as we were climbing into bed for the night, I saw a mouse run across the floor! My husband went to the front desk, and the manager told him that there are mice all over the hotel because it's harvest time and the hotel is next to a field. He offered to give my husband a box trap to put in our room! Haha! My husband said, "Don't tell my wife you said that please. Just switch us to a different room and we will hope she doesn't see any more mice." (Thank you, hubby!)

Anyway, we switched rooms and thankfully I didn't see another mouse, but I was freaked out the whole rest of the time. (BTW, my husband told me after check-out what the manager had said.)

The waffle maker wasn't clean, so the waffles were covered in black stuff.

The location is convenient though, and if you don't care about mice or a nice breakfast and just want a low price, this might be just the place for you! Also, the pool did look pretty nice compared to the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
nora springs
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The room was not clean and they didn't even have sheets to fit the beds. There was a lost little boy who walked out of a room in the morning and the houskeeping person cleaning on that floor ignored his screams. When I took him to the front desk for help they just looked at me. I'm glad I took the boy out to get the license plate number of his mom's car because all the emplyee's were idiots!!! I will never stay there again...even if it was cheap!!

• Stayed August 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed August 19, 2010

If you are looking for just a bed...this is the place. They do have a pool, so I guess if your travels include younger ones, that would be nice. Nothing spectacular about this hotel, but it worked for our needs. We wished that we could have parked by our room, but the parking lot does not go around building. Breakfast is there, but limited. Staff tries to be nice, but whenever we asked anything, they seemed confused and really could not tell us anything about the town and things to do there. Right off interstate, but didn't really hear car noise so that was nice. Trash cans seemed to always be full too. Overall, OK.....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Our family was passing through on our way back from vacation and we were horribly tired and needed to sleep. It was 2 a.m. when we stopped. When we walked in, the front desk attendant was sprawled out on the lobby chair snoring. We got our key and went to the other entrance. It was completely bare, just a trash can, dead roaches, and beer cans. The hallway smelled musty and we are pretty sure that people were smoking weed in one of the rooms. Our room reeked strongly of pesticides, as well as the bedding, and it made our eyes burn. There were bathroom ceiling tiles sagging and full of thick black mold. We saw 2 roaches in the tub as well as bright orange stains on the bottom of the tub. There was also black mold all over the tile on the floor. We turned right around and got our little babies out of there. My husband went to get our money back and told the lady that we could not sleep with cockroaches and she was not surprised. We were refunded without hesitation. I could not believe the conditions of this place! Please do not stop here, the best western across the street was much better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grinnell
Comfort Inn & Suites Grinnell
#1 of 1 in Brooklyn
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#3 of 8 in Newton

Been to Super 8 Grinnell IA? Share your experiences!