“Wonderful relaxing place for a stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grinnell
Spaulding Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Grinnell B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We just got back from a wonderful two night stay at Spaulding where we were staying for Family Weekend. The hosts were friendly and gracious and very welcoming. The B&B itself is situated in a beautiful turn of the (last) century home built by an early buggy/car manufacturer just two blocks from the edge of campus. The home is beautiful with walnut and oak built-in bookcases and elegant glass lamps. The rooms are similarly elegant, with comfy firm mattresses and a variety of pillows to choose from.

The breakfasts were very nice, with your choice of several lovely spots to eat in, including the large dining table, a cozy nook, and a spacious rotunda style enclosed porch. The breakfasts are made with many local ingredients and included coffee/tea, juice, and a hot plate of sausage, fruit, and a daily freshly made special (e.g. eggs, blueberry & cheese stuffed french toast, quiche, etc.) and served with a friendly smile. The breakfasts were quite tasty, although I admit it would have been nice to have a selection of fresh fruit available for those who might want a lighter breakfast. The family has lived in the Grinnell area for a long time (and the son works as a coach at Grinnell) so they know the history of the house, as well as knowing the town and the college, very well.

The only drawback was that there was only one shared bathroom for five rooms (one room has its own bath) so occasionally there was a wait in the morning, but it really wasn't a problem. The bathroom is also nicely appointed with organic soaps, body wash, and shampoo. All of the rooms also have fluffy cotton robes for those hallway jaunts to the bathroom. There is also a small half bath downstairs. Also be warned that a number of the outlets are two-prong, so if you have some items that need three-prong outlets you might want to bring an adapter.

Overall, it was a wonderful relaxing stay in a beautiful home with hosts who make you feel welcome and at home. I would easily recommend this to anyone wanting to visit Grinnell.

Room Tip: Choose the Burr Oak Room if you have more people (it has a pull out couch) or want a private bathroo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My daughter was visiting the college, and I stayed at the Spaulding Inn B & B while she stayed in the dorm. It was perfect, only 2 short blocks from the admissions office, and the perfect location for me to explore the campus and the downtown while she did her thing. It was reasonably priced, comfortable, and a beautiful house. The breakfast was fabulous, featuring home grown vegetables in the delicious quiche and fresh home grown watermelon, as well as locally sourced sausage, and a delicious strawberry scone. If my daughter ends up at Grinnell, I will be reserving a room here for the next 4 parents' weekend!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We love staying here every time we visit Grinnell. The house itself is gorgeous and the location to Grinnell College is fantastic. We appreciate the organic mattresses and pillows, the spacious and clean rooms, and the generosity of the owners. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Three of us stayed at the Spaulding Inn in late May '12 while in Grinnell on business. Valerie was a wonderful hostess; she provided hearty breakfasts and loved talking about the history of the house including a review of many historic items on display. Rooms were quiet, air-conditioned, and very comfy. The location is on 6th Ave. nicely placed between the Grinnell campus and downtown.... an easy walk both ways. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We have stayed at the Spaulding Inn repeatedly on our way between Indiana and Nebraska and it is something we greatly look forward to as we make the lonnnnng drive back and forth. The house is immaculate, the beds are extremely comfortable and the food is delicious. There is also an emphasis on sustainability, which we love! Valerie is a great host and we always learn more about the area and about native agriculture and foods. Looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Spaulding House retains the ambience of the original mansion of the early 1900's while still being a very relaxing place to stay. If I were driving on I-80, I'd stay here for a night instead of a local motel for sure. Beds are super comfortable, food is great, hosts are engaging.

For Grinnell College visitors, this guest house is right next to campus, so it's an added fun feature of a college visit

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I made my reservation to stay here, two years prior to my son's graduation from Grinnell, as I had heard it is wonderful, walking distance to campus, and only has a few rooms. Staying at the Spaulding enhanced my Grinnell/Iowa experience 100%. Beautiful Victorian house, solid, beautifully appointed, large bedrooms and amazing, comfortable beds. The breakfasts were locally sourced and delicious. Valerie and Tim are gracious hosts and let you have the run of the house. I would stay here again without any doubt. I feel fortunate that I stayed here for graduation weekend -- it really made Iowa and Grinnell special for me.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have their own bathrooms, since in Victorian days, they didn't build houses...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family