All reviews periodic table old school boutique hotel middle school junior high school hall pass in town big city outdoor patio school building high ceilings cool hotel chain hotels perfect location wonderful hotel scrabble board unique place to stay
Reviewed August 21, 2018

Hotel Grinnell gets an A+ across the board. Great revitalization of a "retired" school. Great location for being a part of the Grinnell community. A+ in cleanliness A + in maintaining a "green" business. Attention to detail is exceptional I particularly liked the tie on the door as a do not disturbed sign!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Hotel G, General Manager at Hotel Grinnell, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2018

Thank you "whataboutbob9"! Grinnell is such a special town/community and being part of it is such a wonderful experience. We are so grateful for your stay and look forward to many more!

Reviewed August 20, 2018

There's not much to add to what has been said by other reviewers -- this hotel is spacious, comfortable, with great service and a few unusual benefits like the bikes to ride around. I had only a few minor quibbles like not having a suitcase stand and needing to leave it on the floor. It also was a bit odd having the kleenex next to the bed on the stand on the narrow shelf which is hard to reach. For the rest everything was fine and convenient.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Hotel G, Owner at Hotel Grinnell, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I am thrilled to hear that you agree with some other reviews and will take in your suggestions to make us a better hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to write about us. We look forward to your return! - Angela

Reviewed August 18, 2018

Well built school building thoughtfully renovated to incorporate modern comforts while retaining the school charm (high ceilings, wide hallways, terrazzo floors in the main spaces, hardwoods in the rooms). Simple, clean and modern furniture (well built by local business) includes desk, hanging closet, sink, side tables and platform bed. Cloud-like comfortable bed, lots of pillows (choose the softness you desire), accommodating owner/staff. Huge windows let in a lot of light but large shades can be adjusted at will. This property, which will be celebrating its first birthday soon, utilized local contractors in the renovation which, as I've mentioned, is very, very well done. Bicycles line the main hallway and are there for guests' use. Everywhere there are clever winks to school days in their marketing: the room key is in a sleeve marked "hall pass," there's a chalk board with chalk and eraser in the room; the on-site restaurant is called "The Periodic Table" and so on. Room amenities: cube refrigerator, one cup coffee/tea maker (also found in the hallway), raised desk suitable for standing, side tables with charging stations built in, marble-top sink, tiled shower with rain shower head, black washcloth for makeup removal, fluffy white towels, hairdryer. To keep the room super clean there are no drawers and no rugs, a feature I personally applaud. More amenities/necessities can be acquired by just asking. By the way, there are other quality restaurants very close: one is across the street, others about two blocks away to the east. The property is a cross the street from the Public Library as well as a very nice city park. The famous Louis Sullivan Bank is nearby as well and the downtown area is filled with restaurants and shops, many show their original, restored facades. I feel the price is fair but on the high side of what the area demands. I prefer to stay closer to $100/night for a hotel room but I did enjoy my stay and I definitely highly recommend it to others.

• Trip type: Traveled solo

Amazing! Thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the school theme and our simplicity. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this thoughtful review. We look forward to your return!
- Angela

Reviewed August 18, 2018

I go to the Periodic Table, the restaurant that is part of Hotel Grinnell, almost every week to meet up with friends and colleagues. The patio space is fantastic, with comfortable furniture, beautifully tended planters full of colorful flowers, fire pits, and umbrellas. The staff are friendly and attentive, and I also enjoy sitting inside in the modern, stylish hotel restaurant when weather won't allow for patio seating. I've tried the flatbreads and salmon bowl: the ingredients were delicious and fresh. Hotel Grinnell is a wonderful addition to the community's offerings!

Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thank you Deborah! I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoy The Periodic Table. We take pride in our planting and floriculture. I look forward to seeing you again! -Angela

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Stayed two nights at the Hotel Grinnell. The good points would include the quality of the bed, linens and towels. The bed was extremely comfortable, tv was decent and the decor is unique. However, for the prices charged the customer service is lacking. Coffeemakers are not included in room which is a disappointment. Also, the breakfast is weak at best. Personnel do not make the guest the number one priority and need some training in this area. The hotel has a great location, but you can save big and get a similar experience at the chain hotels in town.

1  Thank Gail B

Thank you Gail B. for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your room. We will work on re-training the staff to make sure you feel as the number one priority. I am sad to hear that there was not a coffeemaker in your room. There should have been and coffee tables should have been in the hallway. We are grateful that you took the time to share your experience and I hope that you allow us to show you that we can be better and our comfort, location, and amenities make us worth the price. -Angela