“Not Happy”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
Ridgeway, Canada
“Not Happy”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We made reservations and unfortunately did not read the reviews beforehand. The pictures are very deceiving. We arrived late afternoon and checked in. This lobby area looked really good. We were assigned a room in an alternate building, not the main building. Room #302. We arrived at the room and it had not been serviced yet. While going for supper they got the room ready. Loaded our luggage on the luggage cart and all the tires were flat. Except for the moldy, smoky, bleachy, and other cover chemicals used the room was not all that clean. No soap, garbage left in can, luke warm shower for my wife and cold shower for me plus the shower tub did not drain. There was also no "do not disturb" sign, no pen and pad (minor detail). Bed sheets were damp. Bed was reasonably comfortable and the breakfast was wonderful. Staff were polite and accommodating. I complained at check out and for the first time in all my travels asked for a refund. I did get a refund for half of the fee. I was told that management will be notified. I don't know how this place received a 3 star rating. Maybe based on the Main building. My rating for our experience is .5 star only because the breakfast was great.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room in the main building. That is what the pics are from.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Liberty Twp, OH
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My family & I stayed here twice on the same vacation - once on the way out and once on the way back home. We stayed in 2 different rooms in the main building and the rooms were clean and welcoming. The pool area was very nice and my daughter swam both times we stayed here. We were only able to enjoy the breakfast on our first stay because we left before it opened on our second stay - a Sunday and it didn't open until 7.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a great room, wonderful night's sleep, and filling breakfast before heading out in the morning. Staff was helpful but a little distracted with personal phone calls and some electrical issues in breakfast room. Loved the color scheme of burnt orange room and tan gold walls and Priceline made it a very good value.

Room Tip: We were very happy with our room - in main building with lobby on first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ellisa P
Mishawaka, Indiana
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I were traveling back from Colorado and travel quite often and this was our first time at a best western. We were extremely disappointed. The pictures were very deceiving. We got in around 1030 pm from a long day of driving and the lobby was nice...but that was about it. The Front desk clerk was very unfriendly and not informative, like he didn't want to be there. The hallway to our room smelled of smoke which we were told it was non-smoking, our room smelled like mildew and mold. There were literally cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and our sheets almost felt damp from the room being so musty and there was mold in the shower. Like I said if it wasn't so late and we hadn't already paid, we would have not stayed there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lizmarie_13
Brian S, General Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 641-236-6116.

Brian Scheffert
BEST WESTERN PLUS
Pioneer Inn & Suites
Chicago
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here since the hotel opened. Sadly, it has fallen into disrepair and needs a manger and employees with higher standards. The rooms are garishly painted orange. Bathtubs need cleaning and caulking. Electrical outlets are inadequate for today's traveler and splitters are used to accommodate the room's basic appliances. The rooms need thorough cleaning and management needs to inspect them to establish higher standards. I have made my complaints known at the Corporate level but have not seen any results. My daughter just graduated from college at Grinnell and we will not have a need to stay there anymore.. I am not a complainer but there is no excuse for what has happened at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Comfort Inn or one of the B&B's in-town.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. Planed for this year is to update outlets in our standard kings so there are more. But we do offer business kings with more outlets then you could ever use. And if you call aheaad we can makesure we get you in a room that works for you. We are working hard on getting a full team trained but we have lost some key employees so we are working hard everyday to improve the staff.

Best Reguards,
Brian Scheffert
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We booked a room during a road trip including my husband, my teen son, my teen daughter, and me. We pulled in at about sunset to a nice looking property, but things went downhill from there. The property has two buildings and we were in the southern one, the one that doesn't include the lobby. The window and door were broken (must've been a new problem because later they were duct-taped) and the hallway smelled of cigarettes. All the halls in that building smelled stale.

Our room was on the top floor and it just plain wasn't clean. There was a huge cobweb (I took it down) in the corner and a penny on the floor (I left it). The rug appeared to be vacuumed where it was convenient and not in the corners which were dusty. Before any of our family used the shower, there was a black curly hair in it (how gross). The little knob that you pull out to make the water come out of the shower head was missing and you had to pull on a screw instead and that was hard to grasp.

There was a hair in the bed that my husband and I slept in and the sleeper-sofa that my daughter slept in was clean but very uncomfortable.

Minutes after we turned out the light, we heard a horrible noise start up. We thought it was a motor from the gas station our room overlooked. We walked around the room and found it wasn't from outside but seemed to originate from inside the room. We called the front desk who sent a guy to discover that it was the bathroom fan of the room directly below us. They told those guests to not use the bathroom light because it was on the same switch and they gave them a table lamp to put in the bathroom if they had to go during the night.

The breakfast bar in the morning was average and they were out of syrup for the waffles. They were not restocking items or wiping tables fast enough.

The lobby also had grimy glass (fingerprints, etc.) at the front door.

When my husband checked out, he was told that the unit we stayed in was scheduled for a "deep cleaning." It needed it, but it also needed a better day-to-day cleaning because other people's hairs shouldn't welcome a guest..

On the plus side, the room was spacious and the floor plan (two queens in one room, a sleeper sofa and little frig in another) was fine. They could do a lot with this hotel, but from what we saw, it just needs a little TLC (and cleaning).

Room Tip: Maybe the northern building is better maintained than the southern one?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grinnell
Comfort Inn & Suites Grinnell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Grinnell
Best Western Holiday Manor Newton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton

Been to Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!