“Not a plus”

Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Grinnell
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was disappointed in this hotel. The Plus rating is not warranted. The staff was very friendly but the place itself is dated and needs to be updated. We did have a clean room and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was good. The price was reasonable. It was definitely at the bottom of the Best Western hotels we stayed at on a long road trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barbgoodkin
Brian S, General Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Our team here at Best Western PLUS is very sorry we were not able to impress you on your stay. We are glad you felt we were very clean. I hope on your next travle by we couild live up to your Best Western Plus standards.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place needs a remodel and basic maintenance. While the staff was friendly and helpful the hotel is run down. The doors to the building I stayed in had broken glass in them. The rooms were okay but past their prime. One of the good things about this place was the air conditioning worked. The decor was old and in need of being replaced. There were 2 beds in my room - one of them had soiled sheets on the bed! I would not return to this hotel - there are too many other options in the Grinnell area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bicostal
Brian S, General Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

I am sorry that your stay here at the Best Western PlUS was not a good one. Our pictures on line were just upload as of a month ago. The rooms just had a fresh coat of paint alonmg with a very large amount of money spen on all new bedding with the hotel being built in 2007 with the main building and a 100% remodle of the other building. The door was broken by a lauge rack and now has been fixed. Thanks for giving me good insights and I do hope you'll try us again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stopped here overnight on a road trip to Nebraska. It was the first motel off of the exit so we landed there for the night. The rate was $89. Our room appeared to have been renovated and was clean. The bed was adequate, lots of pillows. The bathroom was handicapped accessible so the shower water actually spilled out onto the bathroom floor. Despite having a drain outside of the shower area, the bathroom floor got wet, so just a word of caution for a potentially slippery floor! We were anxious to get back on the road the next morning but found that the breakfast was down to the last little bits, even the coffee was gone. The staff was working hard but could not keep up. We ended up leaving without waiting for the items to be refilled so I cannot comment on the quality of the breakfast, just that they were obviously not prepared for the number of guests. Overall, it was an adequate one-nighter.

Room Tip: Room in same building as check-in did not smell like smoke.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pghfam

Glad to hear you enjoyed our new bedding. I am very sorry for not meting your needs for breakfast. We do work hard to make all our customers happy everyday and this time we sliped. I hope if you pass by again that you will give us another try.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

upon check in I explained my allergies to smoking and dog dander and asked the lady at the front desk about a non smoking/non pet room and the lady assured me that the second building is where they accomodated the smokers and dogs and there were none in the main building.
As soon as I got in my room, I heard a dog barking across the hall very loudly and constant.
I called the front desk and told the lady and she said , they had an overflow so they put some people with dogs in the main building.
I was traveling with family and their room was missing the shower curtain.
My father who is not fussy and will eat just about anything, couldn't eat the breakfast.

The rooms were clean and very nice, I did sleep well (put the fan in the bathroom on to drown out dog barking), but I probably will not stay in Grinnell, Iowa again and would try and stay in the next town along the way.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank M200789
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel on September 3rd and 4th. Pre-Paid using Priceline. When checking out the balance on the bill was $0. Didn't realize that they had charged our Credit Card at the Hotel also. We got double charged. Have been trying to contact them to get this straightened out. Have called and sent letters, but to no luck. The over-charge was $116.00. Nice hotel - BUT VERY PRICEY.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank maryjosie66
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights for a race at Iowa Speedway. The location was great - very easy on/off and close only 15-20 minutes from the track. However, it is located right next to a truck stop and the first night there were a lot of semis parked in the parking area. The hotel actually has two buildings with rooms. We luckily stayed in the same building as checkin. When we arrived their key card system was down and we were not able to get keys to our room. We were told that the manager would be in at 10:00 that night to fix the system. When leaving the next morning we had to ask for our key cards. The breakfast was below average - we skipped it the next morning. The hotel and room decor has been updated. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. During our stay there was rarely any one at the front desk - and the front doors were open even though we arrived after 11:00 one of the nights. The rate for the room was reasonable however. I will look for another hotel for next year but if there are no other options we will stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

The team here at the Best Western Plus are very sorry we didn't met your needs on this trip. We are 12 miles dooor to door from the Iowa speed way. Our breaskfast is usally outstanding with Waffles of 2 flavors Staw berrys with whip-cream to top them off, a meat and egg plus hard boiled eggs, Bisuits and gravy , fresh fruit and yogurt . 3 cereals and oatmeal, and toped off with 2 flavors of juice, coffer, hot tea. All exit doors that are not at the front desk/lobby area are locked. I do hope you give us another chance in you future travles to Grinnell.

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

On a trip between NY and CO, we dropped here. Rooms have been refreshed (new carpet, paint, and decorations). Beds are clean and comfortable. Pillows were soft and exactly what i needed. Breakfast was very good, especially the muffins. Staff who checked us in late at night was friendly, so was the lady who set up breakfast. The team at the desk when I left was not as friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grinnell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell
Comfort Inn & Suites Grinnell
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Grinnell
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Best Western Holiday Manor Newton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton

Been to Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!