“Two Night Stay in Conjunction with Race at Iowa Speedway”

BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
Pardeeville, Wisconsin
“Two Night Stay in Conjunction with Race at Iowa Speedway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights for a race at Iowa Speedway. The location was great - very easy on/off and close only 15-20 minutes from the track. However, it is located right next to a truck stop and the first night there were a lot of semis parked in the parking area. The hotel actually has two buildings with rooms. We luckily stayed in the same building as checkin. When we arrived their key card system was down and we were not able to get keys to our room. We were told that the manager would be in at 10:00 that night to fix the system. When leaving the next morning we had to ask for our key cards. The breakfast was below average - we skipped it the next morning. The hotel and room decor has been updated. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. During our stay there was rarely any one at the front desk - and the front doors were open even though we arrived after 11:00 one of the nights. The rate for the room was reasonable however. I will look for another hotel for next year but if there are no other options we will stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
The team here at the Best Western Plus are very sorry we didn't met your needs on this trip. We are 12 miles dooor to door from the Iowa speed way. Our breaskfast is usally outstanding with Waffles of 2 flavors Staw berrys with whip-cream to top them off, a meat and egg plus hard boiled eggs, Bisuits and gravy , fresh fruit and yogurt . 3 cereals and oatmeal, and toped off with 2 flavors of juice, coffer, hot tea. All exit doors that are not at the front desk/lobby area are locked. I do hope you give us another chance in you future travles to Grinnell.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

On a trip between NY and CO, we dropped here. Rooms have been refreshed (new carpet, paint, and decorations). Beds are clean and comfortable. Pillows were soft and exactly what i needed. Breakfast was very good, especially the muffins. Staff who checked us in late at night was friendly, so was the lady who set up breakfast. The team at the desk when I left was not as friendly.

• Stayed September 2012
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here while visiting my Aunt in Grinnell. Room was fine,not much noise from highway,and the breakfasts were OK. Staff was friendly, pool and hot tub were fine and no smoky smell in the building we were in(check-in building). We had some concern about the back door that didn't latch but they said everything was monitored with cameras. I'm not sure that's the right fix but I would definitely stay again. They have a Retired Military Rate that most other hotel chains don't offer which is great for us retirees! Would stay again

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We at Best Western Plus Pioneer Inn & Suites. Will always give a miltray rate to active duty or retired. We have had the Back door fixxed, I am very sorry it was not working to our standdards the night you stayed. We hope you will be back soon.
Safe Travles,
The Best Western Plus Team
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had a good stay at this hotel while traveling to Colorado. Good roof over your head and bed to sleep in. The room was clean. Breakfast in the morning was good. Customer service was good and the desk staff were friendly.

boulder, co
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our room was pleasant and seemed updated, the bedding and bed were very good. The room was clean, but there were some half-dead bugs near the bed which I showed the Gen. Mgr. He assured me they were beetles from the cornfield, a fact of life in Iowa, ok, I guess. The bathroom light was connected to a very loud fan which you could not shut off, very annoying. The shower did not drain which should have been noticed by housekeeping.

The breakfast was the big disappointment. I've stayed at many hotels with waffle makers which are always a treat, but this time the waffles were terrible, they had blueberry ones which were as artificial as can be and came out very soggy. The regular ones weren't much better. The scrambled eggs were gross and the bacon couldn't have been any softer. The orange juice tasted yucky and the coffee was as weak as it gets. I will give them credit for some nice fresh fruit. But overall, very poor.

At the price point this hotel charges, I will look elsewhere next time.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We were very impressed with the hotel. Very clean and fairly new. Best of all, no smoky smell (like other Iowa/Illinois hotels). The staff was very friendly (but perhaps over worked). Recomendations and directions were helpful. The pool and hot tub were clean. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank epmlb93
Brian S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We are very glad you had a good hotel stay with us. The team hopes to see you and your family back soon!

Best Western Team
Elliott, iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have always been comfortable in the knowlege that a stay at a Best Western would be completely stress free. I travel a lot and have stayed in hotels of all levels. I was very disappointed in my stay at this facility, To start, I was quoted a price, but was charged a price $10 higher. Saturday, my roomwas cleaned but no towels were left in the room. I called the desk and was informed that they were behind and would bring towels as soon as they were available. I went to my function without showering and when I returned later found that no towels had ever been delivered. I had to go to the desk to get some at 11 PM. Saturday morning we attempted to partake of the breakfast. We found no milk, no bread, 1 biscuit, pan scrapings for gravy,1 pastry and no spoons to eat with. An hour passed and no one checked to refill anything. People that arrived after we did had to do without. I could go on about the ugly tub, trash that wasn't emptied, the security door that wouldn't latch, but you get the idea. This was an adequate $70 room. It was a poor $100 room. Other motels in town. Fill them first.

2 Thank Jerry A
Dear Jerry,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 641-236-6116.

Brian Scheffert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grinnell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell
Days Inn Newton
#3 of 8 in Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton

Been to BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!