“Nice 4 night stay”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
San Antonio, Texas
“Nice 4 night stay”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here while visiting my Aunt in Grinnell. Room was fine,not much noise from highway,and the breakfasts were OK. Staff was friendly, pool and hot tub were fine and no smoky smell in the building we were in(check-in building). We had some concern about the back door that didn't latch but they said everything was monitored with cameras. I'm not sure that's the right fix but I would definitely stay again. They have a Retired Military Rate that most other hotel chains don't offer which is great for us retirees! Would stay again

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We at Best Western Plus Pioneer Inn & Suites. Will always give a miltray rate to active duty or retired. We have had the Back door fixxed, I am very sorry it was not working to our standdards the night you stayed. We hope you will be back soon.
Safe Travles,
The Best Western Plus Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had a good stay at this hotel while traveling to Colorado. Good roof over your head and bed to sleep in. The room was clean. Breakfast in the morning was good. Customer service was good and the desk staff were friendly.

boulder, co
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our room was pleasant and seemed updated, the bedding and bed were very good. The room was clean, but there were some half-dead bugs near the bed which I showed the Gen. Mgr. He assured me they were beetles from the cornfield, a fact of life in Iowa, ok, I guess. The bathroom light was connected to a very loud fan which you could not shut off, very annoying. The shower did not drain which should have been noticed by housekeeping.

The breakfast was the big disappointment. I've stayed at many hotels with waffle makers which are always a treat, but this time the waffles were terrible, they had blueberry ones which were as artificial as can be and came out very soggy. The regular ones weren't much better. The scrambled eggs were gross and the bacon couldn't have been any softer. The orange juice tasted yucky and the coffee was as weak as it gets. I will give them credit for some nice fresh fruit. But overall, very poor.

At the price point this hotel charges, I will look elsewhere next time.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We were very impressed with the hotel. Very clean and fairly new. Best of all, no smoky smell (like other Iowa/Illinois hotels). The staff was very friendly (but perhaps over worked). Recomendations and directions were helpful. The pool and hot tub were clean. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank epmlb93
Brian S, Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We are very glad you had a good hotel stay with us. The team hopes to see you and your family back soon!

Best Western Team
Elliott, iowa
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have always been comfortable in the knowlege that a stay at a Best Western would be completely stress free. I travel a lot and have stayed in hotels of all levels. I was very disappointed in my stay at this facility, To start, I was quoted a price, but was charged a price $10 higher. Saturday, my roomwas cleaned but no towels were left in the room. I called the desk and was informed that they were behind and would bring towels as soon as they were available. I went to my function without showering and when I returned later found that no towels had ever been delivered. I had to go to the desk to get some at 11 PM. Saturday morning we attempted to partake of the breakfast. We found no milk, no bread, 1 biscuit, pan scrapings for gravy,1 pastry and no spoons to eat with. An hour passed and no one checked to refill anything. People that arrived after we did had to do without. I could go on about the ugly tub, trash that wasn't emptied, the security door that wouldn't latch, but you get the idea. This was an adequate $70 room. It was a poor $100 room. Other motels in town. Fill them first.

2 Thank Jerry A
Dear Jerry,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 641-236-6116.

Brian Scheffert
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2012

After traveling for hours on end, I arrived here and the staff was amazing! The place was extremely clean and lovely! It was the best nights sleep I had after being stuck in Wisconsin in a HELL hotel! HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, UT
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Friendly staff members and fresh cookies greeted us as we entered the lobby. A quick check-in and we went to our room to find everything very newly renovated. NO smoke smell (unusual in Iowa), VERY comfortable beds and plenty of room for a Porta Crib and my 1-year-old grandson to play. We had one small issue and it was handled quickly and above my expectations right away. We were then apologized to at least three times! The pool was clean and the perfect temperature, as was the hot tub. Only negative is no elevator, but with plenty of main floor rooms and only one level up, not a big deal.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, where the lobby is if a NO Smoking room is important to you.