“The Details Add Up”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
Northboro, MA
“The Details Add Up”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Veteran traveler that I am places like this are priceless.

After a long day of flying to Midway from Boston and driving through a horrific storm to get to Grinnell, over 4+ hours away I was in no mood for anything but a peaceful and quiet landing. I like to drive in the Midwest, but don't like anything complicated at the end of the road.

I got my wish thanks to a very friendly young woman at the front desk who got me checked in, cookied, and off to my room, which was just a few steps from the front. Because of a slight walking disability I asked for a room near the front and pool (I'm an avid daily swimmer), and that was provided via an online message in advance, after using email to request my need. Nice touch.

What one hopes for is quiet, a room in which everything works, good food when offered and nice exercise options. It was all here and I truly enjoyed my three night stay.

Quibbles? A tiny few. Per latest style the potty in the bathroom is a tiny little thing stuck in the middle of the room away from grab bars. The bedside light was not one from which one could read easily (I carry a little light for my Kindle).

Otherwise, the wi-fi worked beautifully. I'm not much of a breakfast eater, so what was laid out was fine. The pool is a nice sized one, perfect for laps. Good temp and very clean.

This was my second visit and I look forward to a third...just not driving through near tornadoes or eating at the nearby steakhouse (see my separate review of the Grinnell Steakhouse)!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rkgood
Connie B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank You so much for your kind words and we are very happy to have accomodated you. We appreciate that we could meet your needs and truly look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is the best hotel in Grinnell! The staff is wonderful. The hotel is clean. Breakfast is better than most. My only complaint would be the high rates during graduation, but it's hard to blame them for it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Connie B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. We strive to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast. We certainly look forwasrd to seeing you again when your travels bring you our way.
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Enjoyed our recent 3 day stay at the Country Inn By Carlson while in Grinnell, Iowa. Rooms had been reserved for a large wedding in advance and everything was ready when we arrived!

Lovely hot breakfast bar, large queen size beds, very clean overall. Loved the shower - all the necessities anyone might need. Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2013
We would like to say a big Thank You for your great comments. We are so greatfull and appreciate that you enjoyed your stay. We certainly will look forward to spending time with you again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Country Inn by Carlson for our son's graduation. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean our room was, including the bathroom. The air-conditioner did a great job of cooling the room, outlets were conveniently located for charging, and the location was great. I would definitely stay here again if I have the opportunity to return to Grinnell.

Room Tip: If you are coming for graduation, book a year in advance!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jandj2005
Connie B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We truly enjoyed having you and hope there will be reason for you to return to our fair city. We would love to see you again. Thank you.
Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Appreciated my stay here, clean and quiet. Staff was cordial. I stayed in a 2 queen suite and it had amazing space for my kids to run around in and blow off steam from long car ride. The pool heater was broke, but the kids did'nt seem to mind. Adequate plug ins in room. I stay at this chain often because it never fails on quality and service

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Connie B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We would like to take this time to say thank you for your kind response. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and do apologize for the pool heater. It was our pleasure to serve you. Thank You again and happy travels.
Grinnell, Iowa
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Recently had the opportunity of spending 2 nights here and was quite satisfied. Room was very clean, bed was comfortable, breakfast was good and staff was friendly. Only hiccup was that the hot tub was out of order as was the ice machine. Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Connie B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We truly appreciate your feed back. We are so sorry for the inconvenience of ice machine as we were waiting on a new one to be shipped, as for the hot tub it to needed a part. Perhaps on your next visit you will have the pleasure of enjoying it.Thank You again and safe travels.
Colorado, USA
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Close to the interstate and the main road into Grinnell, so convenient but potentially noisy. Ask for a room facing east to avoid all of that. Nice hot breakfast, swimming pool, hot tub. Really useful when visiting the college or just passing through.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Daniel J
Connie B, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank You so much for your response to your stay at our hotel. We truly appreciate any feedback we can get and strive to improve on anything that we can. we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to Grinnell. Thank You and safe travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grinnell
Comfort Inn & Suites Grinnell
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#3 of 8 in Newton
BEST WESTERN Holiday Manor Newton Iowa

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell? Share your experiences!